Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

slopy Rubicon T-case

Go down 
+2
Rockn93YJ
adrenaline325
6 posters
AuthorMessage
adrenaline325
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
adrenaline325

Male
Number of posts : 103
Emploi : piccotek
Registration date : 2007-09-22

slopy Rubicon T-case Empty
PostSubject: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 2:18 am

My TJ started making some noise when I get on/off the gas so I crawled underneath to check it out... The drive shafts both have about a quarter inch of rotational play when they enter the transfer case. The effect on the road is a slight chunk sound any time the forces change on the power train.

So my question - this may be a stretched chain - is it something that is worth trying to fix, or am I just as well off to drive it till it breaks?

Anyone sitting on an NP231 they don't want/need?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 8:28 am

there is a guy on the Marylandjeepclub forum that will be selling his 231 wiht fixed yoke assembly shortly. his name is jon gilbart.
http://www.marylandjeepclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13437
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 11:22 am

You will lose the 4to1 that you have in the rubicon case if you go to a 231 unless you get the tera low 4to1.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 2:09 pm

check all ujoints. I doubt it is the transfer case. the ring and pinion would be the limiting factor in the amout of rotational play. unless you disconnected it at the pinion. Its hard for me to really imagine how much a quarter inch of rotational play is but some play there is normal.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 2:35 pm

quarter inch isn't much. I'd agree and say check the u joints and if they are ok then just drive it. if it breaks then fix it.
Back to top Go down
adrenaline325
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
adrenaline325

Male

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 2:57 am

thanks for the info, it seems to be holding up all right. I have checked the u-joints - there is a tiny bit of slack in them, but nothing too serious.

Thinking more to it, the axle gearing does seem like the most likely culprit. Might be a good time to regear the axles.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 10:12 pm

I would change all the fluids in the jeep. After wheeling all year and going to all the comp events. Its time to give that jeep a once over.
Back to top Go down
adrenaline325
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
adrenaline325

Male

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 4:36 pm

I did just that - it is not the gold jeep though - this time it is the blue rubicon that is wanting attention.

Gold jeep is on blocks right now too - installing staun beadlocks, a PS pump cooler and AEV sliders for next years comp series. Mostly done, but the beadlocks are off the rig right now.

when I opened up the rear diff last week there was no metal, and the ring and pinion looked good. All fluids looked good. was left thinking that it was the t-case after that.

Right now the gold jeep is competing with a Porsche 924 I picked up for the racetrack - it is in pieces in one bay - with the timing belt off and the cam shaft seal leaking... gold jeep is holding the other bay, and in spite of having 4 cars I am down to Vanessa's Pathfinder and the blue rubicon on the road...

I am looking forward to some of those snow days too - get some things put back together.
Back to top Go down
lt.dan
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
lt.dan

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-12

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 4:21 pm

1/4 INCH OF ROTATIONAL PLAY AT THE YOKE IS NORMAL, THE T/CASE ALSO SHOULD HAVE A LITTLE PLAY IN IT. IF YOU HOLD THE FRONT OUTPUT STILL, AND THERE IS PLAY WHEN YOU TURN THE REAR THAT WOULD BE THE SIGHN THAT THE CHAIN IS WORN. I HAVE REBIULT ALOT OF CASES,AND USUALY IF THE FLUID IS FULL, AND REGULARLY CHANGED THE CHAIN WILL NOT FAIL(STRECH). CHECK TO MAKE SURE ALL OF YOUR SUSPENSION COMPONENTS ARE TIGHT, USUALY A LITTLE SLACK IN A HIEM JOINT WILL GIVE THE SYMPTOM YOU ARE DESCRIBEING.
GOOD LUCK
Back to top Go down
adrenaline325
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
adrenaline325

Male

PostSubject: still playing...   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:02 am

Have not cracked the case open to look, but pulled to front drive shaft off tonight. Will run it that way for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference in the way things sound.

Thanks Dan for the pointers - once I get the DS back on I will double check rotating the shafts against one another at the same time.

When I hold the front diff yoke, I can move it back and forth and make a metal chunking sound that sounds like it is coming from the drivers side front axle tube... no visible movement in the u-joint, but I would not expect that.

I will respond tomorrow on the outcome of running without the DS.
Back to top Go down
adrenaline325
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
adrenaline325

Male

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:04 am

lt dan, can you elaborate on the comment about slack in the hiem joint? What / where is the hiem joint you reference...

Thanks,
Greg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: slopy Rubicon T-case   slopy Rubicon T-case Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

slopy Rubicon T-case
Page 1 of 1