Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

What wood?

Go down 
+5
SPP YJ
Rockn93YJ
md4wheelin
thinga'ma'rig
connordanny
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

What wood? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:33 pm

Well now I didn't buy it from Von and he told me that if I wanted "nice" trailer this wasnt the one for me - I had fair warnings jkfg
I stained the deck and got the new tires on. I put the carriage bolts in each end of the boards, but I didn't tighten them down yet incase I need to move anything around. Now I just need to come up with some redneck ramps and get the brakes in order...

What wood? - Page 3 Trailer-1

Last edited by connordanny on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:25 am

danny just as a side note you can build your own axels for about 1/2 the price that jiffy hitch would charge you.

check this site out for good prices on everything you would need.
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:09 am

After dumping $$ on new tires for this crapper I'm not gonna swap axles cause these weirdo California wheels wont work on any 5 or 6 lug hub. If anything I'll put a 4 Sale sign on it at the Jeep show to see if I can get what I have tied up in it back and put that towards a lighter one with working brakes and ramps....
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 8:05 pm

A cheap trailer is a cheap trailer. I lighter one would be nice but think of it this way you have painted it, done new boards, and rewired the whole thing. I would run with it and have a forsale sign on it. Plus once you get the brakes and ramps worked out your done then you can either run it or sell are completely redone head ache free trailer. I can't tell by the pics but your trailer doesn't look any heavier than my full metal deck trailer or any other full deck trailer.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Danny the spindles on your trailer are welded on because the axle is for a house trailer design to be used once. Mark ran into the same problem on his trailer. We toasted a bearing on the way back from Ky. and he found out the hard way had to buy a new axle to replace the spindle.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:29 pm

Whoa...that sucks ass.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 11:09 pm

Ouch... was he still able to pull it home?
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 11:36 pm

danny before you throw it in give me a call. I'll probly be able to get you up and running again for a couple hundred dollars and you won't have to worry about buying a new trailer.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 7:28 pm

look ok??
What wood? - Page 3 Trailerandjeep
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 9:57 pm

If it doen't push the rear down to much I would move it forward. You want weight on the tandem but you need a good amount of tongue weight. Right know it looks like its balanced on the trailer axles.

Did you get the brakes worked out?
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 11:31 am

Sweet Danny, glad you fought through it!! Now you can get the Jeep on the trails and bust shit up What wood? - Page 3 52933
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:38 pm

I towed the Jeep up to York today and it was smooth sailing.
My "ramps" sucked though it was entertaining for the neighborhood to watch me try to winch the rig up those little driveway oil changing ramps propped up by pavers.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Well here's a funny story to cap off a 12 hr workday...

I made another set of redneck ramps for the trailer the other day and decided to test them out. They are made of 2x12"s and angle iron with the trailer ramp adapter plate on the end. 2 tiny little pins hold the plates to the trailer.
As soon as I got the front wheels up on the trailer the passenger side ramp fell down and the other one turned itself sideways. So there I was with 2 wheels up, 2 on the ground and no way to go up or down.
All the elderly neighbors were lookin out through the curtains at the crazy guy tearing shit up.. a couple of them came over and chocked the wheels so I could get out, hook the winch to the front of the trailer, put the ramps somewhat back in place and slowly inch backwards.
I decided that was enough and I wasnt gonna fuck with it anymore tonight. I parked the jeep and unhooked the trailer at the same moment I remembered I never chocked the trailer wheels. The trailer took off faster than DD through a screen door, and dragged me on my butt down the driveway.
And I wasnt even drinking yet! what an idiot!
I'm gonna run two 1/2" bolts through the ramp plates and tighten them down w/ wingnuts from underneath next time i need to use the ramps.
Here is what it looks like:
What wood? - Page 3 Ramps
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:29 pm

Love the DD analogy!! This sounds like something I would do...congrats!! Reminds me of the time I was playing with my new mean green starter from outside of the Jeep and I cranked it and the fucker turned over and took off as I tried jumping into the Jeep. That was a fun 1 to replay on the security cameras - almost as entertaining as when I walked off the back of the trailer and got to the edge a little sooner than expected and damn near broke my ankle.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 10:46 pm

been there done that, thats why I always leave one safety chain on till after the trailer is disconnected just in case.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 11:50 pm

Good to see that you worked it out. Dont worry about your trailer story I'm sure everyone has a good trailer story to tell.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 10:19 am

I found an axle with working brakes on craigslist in PA that I bought real cheap along with the tires so I would have a spare.

I'm a little confused as to how the brakes get wired to the truck. Right now the truck has the round 7 pin connector next to the hitch. I use an adaptor plug to accept the trailer's 4 pin flat plug for the lights. The wires for the brakes are a 2 pin plug which have never been connected because the brakes didn't work... Is there a way to splice the lights and brake wires into a 7-pin round plug to connect right to the truck's 7 pin connector?

In the glovebox of the truck there is a wiring harness for trailer brakes that plugs in somewhere under the dash on the driver's side. Is this meant to work with a brake controller or would it be somehow run down the bed of the truck and connect to the brakes 2 prong connector?

Thanks again!
Dan
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:28 pm

WOW

were to start how about the front the wiring in the glove box means your truck is already wired from cab to the seven pin plug on your truck. The wire in glove box gets plugged in to truck were you said and the other end goes to the trailer brake controller you will need to get. that should take care of the truck end.

Now the trailer if it has brakes it should have a seven pin plug on it (unless its old then it may have a 6 pin).
It sounds like it does not have this so you will need to get a seven pin plug for trailer that connects to your truck that will get the lights and brakes wired into it you will need to cut off the four pin plug and make it right with seven pin plug.
If you buy a new plug it will have a wiring diagram on the box you will need to follow for it to work correct.
One other thing to consider is the trailer ground some people ground through the trailer ball this is not a good idea
this is why you see lights blink on trailer going down the road sometimes but if the lights blink so do the breaks not good.Put the ground in the plug were it tells you to if you don't have a ground wire on your trailer run a wire from frame of trailer to new plug.

Hope this helps I will see if I can find a wiring diagram to post up.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 3:37 pm

Found one this is how the truck - trailer connection should be.

What wood? - Page 3 Wiring10
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks Chuck - it makes a lot more sense now.
I ordered a 7 pin connector and a brake controller just now. I'll cut off the 4 pin and the 2 pin and wire them into the 7 pin connector to hook up to the truck.

scratch
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Danny I have trailer wire at the shop. Do me a favor so I don't have to type all this stuff out and just bring over the trailer some time and we will get it all wired up for you. also is that axle you purchased the same width as the ones you have?
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 5:57 pm

connordanny wrote:
Thanks Chuck - it makes a lot more sense now.
I ordered a 7 pin connector and a brake controller just now. I'll cut off the 4 pin and the 2 pin and wire them into the 7 pin connector to hook up to the truck.

scratch

Sounds like your on the right track now have fun.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2009 7:35 pm

looking great danny mbn
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What wood?   What wood? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What wood?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3