Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher

Go down 
+2
thinga'ma'rig
Rockn93YJ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Empty
PostSubject: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Plan is to build another jeep as a dedicated mud bogger/high hp etc. What I have available 351W, C4 tranny, D60 front and rear with 3.5 ish gear ratio(from a 79 F 350). plan on running 39-44" boggers. any advice on this build? Oh yeah I also need a cheap jeep to sacrifice to the cause.

Last edited by on Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:15 pm

i believe that most people put stall converters on mud boggers, for a quicker start off the line, but i would not get a real high rpm stall, if you are going to take it in the trails at all, and i have noticed that people are putting skinny, lighter tires up front and heavy wide ones in the rear, look up mud bog on youtube and get some ideas on line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M2xv0PNZEU here is another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goOOeGlUVsM&mode=related&search=MUDDDIGGER%20MUDDDIGGER.COM%20JEEP%20CJ-7%20RAVE%20DIGGCJ7%20MONSTER%20TRUCK%20MUDD%20MUD%20BOGS%20RUNS%20VIDEO%20JAM%20BOGGER%2066%20TIRE%204X4%20GER

Last edited by on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:24 pm

you should put on tractor tars and wear those pits out.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:46 pm

Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 9:17 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A11&viewitem=&item=230181145162
THis looks good. he said the tranny and tcase is from an early 90s blazer. is it worth it? I am seriously considering this as it has tremendous potential.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 10:12 pm

whats your horse power range your looking to be at?

I was thinking about doing the same thing but not with a jeep. I have always loved the ford 5.0 and was looking to do something with that in a ranger or something for mud bogging. I even thought about dropping it into the zj.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 10:52 pm

Hey bil just to let you know thats a NP231 in that jeep. Not bad but I would say that for mud that would be a good setup nothing hard about mud other than a good set of tires alot of wheel speed. 454 will get-r-done:yj:
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 9:43 am

HP goal is 450-500 if small block. If I can put a big block in there and be close without a rebuild initially then that leaves it open to a lot more HP down the road.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 10:11 am

If this guy would drop the price it would be a great start.. motor plate would take care of the MOPAR problem...

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/983930/77-Jeep-CJ-7-Mud-Racer.html
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 7:56 pm

So anyone know where I can get a chevy 454, turbo 400 tranny and a decent tranfer case for this build? High mileage is ok since I will have them rebuilt.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 9:39 pm

godragracing.com

http://forums.godragracing.com/viewtopic.php?t=57756

how about this...

...http://baltimore.craigslist.org/car/443800182.html

send me a pm on what amount of money you would want to put in the motor alone.. i know where there are a few big blocks already built..thats if you really want a torque monster.

How about a 468 that pushed a 3700 lb chevelle to 10.40 on motor . i can vouch for this because it was mine.. when i sold the car to a buddy he pulled the motor and dropped in a 502 with a procharger and the car went to Ohio. Motor has been in the garage since. Local builder named Hobbs built the motor. I still have receipts for over 7k for the motor.. It probably can be had for 2k. Motor still has 990 heads which are very hard to find and flow unbelievable for factory massaged units.

I personally would run a sbc. lighter unit and easier to find cheaper parts. I have alot of friends with motors around if you want a sbc.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 9:55 pm

Listen to this big block..

A buddy built it for his Nova and then decided to go a different route. Listen to the lope..

WALDO, this is the motor George built for Neisser's old Nova....That would of been a death trap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rqmEdwnoEU
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2007 10:05 pm

Quote :
How about a 468 that pushed a 3700 lb chevelle to 10.40 on motor . i can vouch for this because it was mine.. when i sold the car to a buddy he pulled the motor and dropped in a 502 with a procharger and the car went to Ohio. Motor has been in the garage since. Local builder named Hobbs built the motor. I still have receipts for over 7k for the motor.. It probably can be had for 2k. Motor still has 990 heads which are very hard to find and flow unbelievable for factory massaged units

A guy at work always gives me a hard time saying "motors start engines" Now for some reason I do it to other people, sorry. ok back to the tech
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2007 9:17 am

that sounds like a sweet motor. BB is the easiest way to get big HP and the sky is the limit should I decide to run a bigger class. I want to be able to run as much HP as I can depend on without having to rebuild the motor every year. price sounds good fro that motor. let me know what you can find. Thanks in advance. BB motor, TH 400
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2007 10:59 am

rockdw72 wrote:
Quote :
How about a 468 that pushed a 3700 lb chevelle to 10.40 on motor . i can vouch for this because it was mine.. when i sold the car to a buddy he pulled the motor and dropped in a 502 with a procharger and the car went to Ohio. Motor has been in the garage since. Local builder named Hobbs built the motor. I still have receipts for over 7k for the motor.. It probably can be had for 2k. Motor still has 990 heads which are very hard to find and flow unbelievable for factory massaged units

A guy at work always gives me a hard time saying "motors start engines" Now for some reason I do it to other people, sorry. ok back to the tech

Why do I feel like my Dad just corrected me??? LOL LOL Ive heard that for years... jocolor
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2007 9:45 pm

I may be well on my way with this project. Found a 79 CJ7 new frame, fiberglass body, 454 motor, 9" rear and D44 front from 79 bronco. very clean and just waitin to get dirty. Might have to swap out the 9" and 44 for D60 front and rear when all is said and done.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2008 6:53 pm

So the plan is now to run the 9" rear with a spool with 38" boggers rear and 38" tsl in front with current drivetrain. with the addition of the accel distributer and avenger carb it runs much better but needs some mild tuning. drivetrain and the whole jeep needs some work due to poor drivetrain angles and and lots and lots of loose bolts. I'll be looking for a set of big boggers for test fitting in a couple months before I decide on what to buy. I have the bronco axles so 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern and will put a hold on the D60 axles in my basement until I can rebuild them and prove that they are needed. Anyone got big boggers that I can test fit in the next couple months?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher   Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project dedicated mud bogger/trail thrasher
Page 1 of 1