Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

"The Darkside Project" (TDP)

Go down 
+5
CagedSami
md4wheelin
Rockn93YJ
The Devil Dog
makitupthehardway
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

"The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 3:07 pm

104 will be the final number. Its a 102 at the moment till I move the front axle forward 2". I went a little long cause I'm thinking about going with 60 front and 14bolt rear once I get the doubler 2.8:1/4.7:1 transfer case done.

Oh yeah the propane is hooked up and running. Runs better on propane than it did with gas and the carb.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 5:53 pm

are you going full hydro steering? if not how is the clearance of the tie rod with the pitman arm?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 12:38 am

I'm installing a steering box out of a 88 4 runner which will mount to a mounting plate that I'm going to either buy from marlin, trailgear or fab myself. When you use the stock toyota rear springs in the front it moves the font axle 2" forward and the steering box then has to be moved forward to line up with the steering hardware. Most guys end up having to cut away part of the radiator support when doing this. I have done a ton of research and aside from the high steer hardware, IFS box mount and the power steering cooler. I already have the power steering pump, IFS box, resivor, pump mounting bracket and hoses from a 88 4 runner that I have had sitting in a box for a year waiting for my lazy ass to get moving. This next step will be slow because I want to rebuild the front axle with all new seals bearings and brakes. At the moment the plan is to rebuild to prep for the 30 spline longfields and a locker (maybe something selectable). But I have been thinking of selling the toyota axles to John for his Sami and getting a set of chevy 60's. either way the project is really starting to shape up and I'm just happy to see progress in my little 1 car garage. Pictures will be up soon.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 8:52 am

Found a GREAT deal on a set of D60 axles. Just in case you are interested.
http://www.marylandcreepers.com/MCForums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45788
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm going to stick with the Toy axles for the next year or two. I'm not sure what the next phase will bring. I might cut it all up and use the parts and drivetrain in a moon buggy.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 9:47 pm

chop chop
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 1:08 am

Is the ford 60 passenger side drop?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 9:12 am

no its driver thats why it wont work for the toyota. I'm going to stick with the stock axles
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 11:58 am

that will work for the nissan...i just don't know if i'm ready to start hording parts yet with the jeep needing stuff too. that is a hell of a buy though!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:02 am

OK Eric what are you waiting for....Christmas?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:26 pm

I know this is a 1st gen toyota but I like the lines and thinking of doing someting similar to this on my 2nd gen. I want mine to have its own design but its a basic idea of the direction that I want to go.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 7:34 pm

the link you IM'ed to me looks great. you might want to post that here for some feedback.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Damn it I forgot to post the link. FUCK.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 9:40 pm

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699664&page=3

Like I said before. I know that in the link its a 1st gen toy but I like the basic lines and the dove nose job he did and would like to use similar lines on my 2nd gen toy. I figure I'm going to not do a exo cage cause the cab structure is rusted to shit and not worth saving. I would do a new cab but the rig is all about wheeling. I also am starting to hate the hard top on the toy and its only a mater of time before I cut it off. I figure I will wheel it hard and get a in cab cage that ties in to the good part of the frame that we have repaired and tie in the good part of the frame. I know that I will 4 link the rear once I get the cage work handled.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Pushing this back to the top. I still like the body lines on the link from the pirate but open to any ideas that anyone has.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2009 10:37 pm

I like those lines, I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 7:00 am

Yeah Bill put it best " you dont need no stinkin roof, its a trail rig"

I like the lines and the not having to remove the cab or start over with a chassis.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 7:52 am

i like it without the roof. you could make a bikini top for it to help with the rain or mud
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 8:59 am

looks like a good design but I'd avoid the bends behind the cab if you can. As stated on Pirate a bent tube is partway to failure.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Yeah looking at cage designs I'm thinking right I might start with a main hoop behind the seats. Then a halo that is supported by bars that will run down thru the dash and tie in the the frame. Other ideas are side bars that protect the driver and pass seats that work into bed frame that will protect the tool box and propane tank. I want to keep it as simple as I can but affective and clean. My only real goal with it are to give me protection and a little more head room. I'm thinking that I might end up working the cage first before I worry about the doubler and locking the front axle. Thanks for the input guys any tips or advise is welcome as always.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 10:59 pm

Thanks for the contact info Bill. I called him and I'm going to head out there tuesday or wednesday and buy a 100 feet maybe a little more. I'm going to do some scetches this weekend to figure my needed footage and I'm guessing that I should 5 to 10% waste factor. I'm figuring my math on 20 foot lengths of tube.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 11:37 pm

so when you gonna bring it up and start actually bending tube? I'm gettting a dumpster next week or so and going to free up the concrete pad next to the garage. You could keep it there covered up once thats done.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2009 6:16 am

"The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 86155 "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 86155 lk lk lk
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 12:24 am

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667423

Just some more ideas.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 10:03 am

weak link?
http://www.webercomputing.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2627&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.ovo.ca/gallery2/d/40320-2/IMG_0137.jpg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Darkside Project" (TDP)   "The Darkside Project" (TDP) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"The Darkside Project" (TDP)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next