Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008

Go down 
+4
Bellringer
Rockn93YJ
projblacknblue
The Devil Dog
8 posters
AuthorMessage
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Empty
PostSubject: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 12:51 am

Ok guys where are those stories and pictures. I will post a link on the MeetUp photo album for your guys to down load the photos of Saturdays trails.

Do tell what happend through out the day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 11:13 am

Wrote it last night, then lost it when the site timed out... so rewriting now... this time in Word, then doing a copy paste...

Photos to come soon...
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Let me start the story by saying nice driving to everyone! We had to use just about every technique for driving off road. We saw a little of it all… rocks, hill climbs, fallen trees, and mud. Yet we overcame it all. 9

The day started with Alex meeting up with myself and Laurie, then trekking up to Tom’s where we met John with his wife Pat, and Sean with Amanda.

From there we made the run to the Goose… topped off the tanks, grabbed a few sandwiches for lunch, then off to the Creek.

We got to staging right around 8am… second group to check in… I set up the tire deflators and disconnects on my rig, and then assessed the other 3 to see what the day would bring.

In that time we picked up 2 more rigs who had driven in looking for someone to wheel with. Aaron (from PA who I have wheeled with before) and Rich with his wife.
So 6 rigs… Rich in a 4 door JK on 37s (but wanted to take it easy), John and myself on 33s, Aaron in a Rubi unlimited on 31s, and Alex and Sean bone stock on 30s.

Everyone agreed to greens, so we hit the trails… took K through the comp course… I was the only one to have seen them before, so I gave a little tour over the CB as we went.

K to B… B out to 101 to get a good lesson/refresher on the basics…
From 101 we did the Hills… there I showed the new comers the basics of hill climbs and descents… limit brake use, control slides, and 1st gear creeps. After playing a little we continued down to 11.

Be advised 11 @ 19b is BAD! They are falling a lot of trees commercially, so the heavy equipment has it all rutted and torn up. Adding insult to injury the markers are gone since the trees they were on are fallen.
Lynn @ the office confirmed trail closures… Log Bridge is broken… 19b was also an advisory due to the markings. saw2

We made it through the mud bog of 11, to 19a, and with no objections from the group we decided to try 19b since the entrance is across from 19a, and we already saw the exit at 11.

We made it about 300 yards… then I started bogging down in the soft ground… I had the group hold up while I forged ahead trying to find a way through, but quickly decided that it was just too wet and started to turn back before I got stuck.

That’s when the first (and only) carnage of the day occurred… a branch speared BOTH the inner AND outer bead of my passenger rear tire… So I fought the flat to higher ground where it was firmer and flatter to get the Hi Lift to work.

Meanwhile Alex picked not quite so good a place to park… dsgfsdgdhjvcx (Just kidding Alex) he sunk his pretty new 30s good in the muck, and got the honors to be our first recovery of the day… I would have done the dirty work, but was down for the count, so Rich showed off the JK 4 door Rubi on 37s and made it look easy.

With the spare on I walked a trail out back to 11… with a game plan in mind we forged on to drier ground… almost…

John made it through the rock section up onto the trail, but then quickly perched his driver rear shock mount on a stump… second recovery within minutes of the last.

After that we hit H, over to Pole Line… break time at the Mud Pit to watch another group of rigs play in the 5 foot hole… then to the 3 line climb…

Aaron wanted the left (medium), Rich wanted the right (hard), everyone else took center. I held back to decide later, but walked up to spot everyone up. In the end Rich was too wide on the 37s to clear the last rock without damage, so he backed off, but only to recover Aaron on the medium… both their long wheel bases were holding them back at the break over.

I decided to take center just so the group behind us could play. I had done all 3 lines successfully before, so another time to show off... and in good judgment.

As I got to the top everyone noticed my front passenger was now flat… so another break for air, then back on the trails…

We hit almost all the other greens except for C and Lake Cristy area… I figured we had enough swamp action after 19b.

We called it a day at 3:30… helped everyone look over the road readiness of the rigs… my front also had a branch in the bead, so it would not hold air… since I was already on the spare this had to be fixed… I aired all the way out, leaned into Alex’s Jeep for leverage, and used my legs to press the tire off the rim while Alex dug out the bugger.

Once free John’s miracle pump blew up 4 jeeps while mine still struggled with its first tire… (Thanks for the contact info John… definitely giving him a call).

Checked the beads with a spray of wd40 on the rims looking for bubbles… and on the road before the rain hit.

All I can say to wrap this up is an impressive day of driving all around. For most of us it was a first… my first time leading a group, a few first time off roaders, and a few who hadn't seen the terrain. Considering those facts it was an amazing day with excellent driving all around.

Nice job to everyone.

Side note… for the record I still seem to be the only stock club jeep to get stuck going down winch hill (first day on 30s) asdyuysigidfdjbisd

Despite my efforts, Alex successfully went down the hill, and even made it up the other side… neither of which I did on my first round out stock…
John also white knuckled it down the steep drop, and up the blind climb for a successful run on his first attempt.

Great job and kudos to both. lk

If you want to know the rest… well… you just had to be there.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 3:27 pm

"Once free John’s miracle pump blew up 4 jeeps while mine still struggled with its first tire… (Thanks for the contact info John… definitely giving him a call)."

Where do I get one of these miracle pumps? Glad to hear everyone had a good time. I finally got the jeep back together with new rear gears and ready to run again. I'll be heading out next week and hopefully with better weather.
Back to top Go down
Bellringer
Open/Open
Open/Open
Bellringer

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 3:37 pm

After getting up at 4:00am and arriving back home at 7:30pm, we decided the day was well worth it and more than we expected. We have done trails with our Orlando Jeep Club, but nothing as good as yesterday.
Thanks to all for a good time. We especially want to give a special thanks and congratulations to Tony for an excellent job in leading the group. You provided us with many challenges and new experiences. Your commentary throughout the ride was especially helpful for us newcomers and as a passenger I have a new appreciation for what our jeep and driver can do. It was great meeting everyone and look forward to our next ride.

PS - Got some great prictures, now just have to figure out how to attach them to the web site.

Again, had a great time. John and Pat
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

PostSubject: Excellent Storie and guide readiness   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 3:59 pm

hjkgghfghfghdgdhdfdh Tony, you have writen a great story that the reader can picture the action as it unfolds, thank you for taking care of the newbees and displaying a great sense of leadership on th filed. You have earned the right to be awarded a Guide T-shirt. I will see what I can do. As for the crew participating on the trails, gerat job and team spirit. Happy everyone made it back home OK and that you have been baptised as an offroader at Rausch Creek Offroad Park. Keep up the spirit and the teamship. Continue to foster the good will of the brotherhood on the trails as well as on the pavement. 9 dfjsksdkfjsd shdjfhdjghkdbfjxcdb
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 5:42 pm

got my photos up...

Alex... glad you made it home safe... we need to work on your cell phone and CB so next time you don't take the long scenic way home.. (Psst... thru Hagerstown is NOT a shortcut....) asdyuysigidfdjbisd

https://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/prophoto26/Rausch%205-18-08/?albumview=slideshow
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:09 pm

The Devil Dog wrote:
hjkgghfghfghdgdhdfdh Tony, you have writen a great story that the reader can picture the action as it unfolds, thank you for taking care of the newbees and displaying a great sense of leadership on th filed. You have earned the right to be awarded a Guide T-shirt. I will see what I can do. As for the crew participating on the trails, gerat job and team spirit. Happy everyone made it back home OK and that you have been baptised as an offroader at Rausch Creek Offroad Park. Keep up the spirit and the teamship. Continue to foster the good will of the brotherhood on the trails as well as on the pavement. 9 dfjsksdkfjsd shdjfhdjghkdbfjxcdb

little grasshopper you have learned your lessons well. I guess you can only do it wrong so many times before you figure out how to do it right 4 lol!
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:23 pm

well joe... we did play follow the leader a lot... mbn

poison spider cage in 2 weeks... then a few more small projects and i will be set for the big boys again...

we will see... 9
Back to top Go down
Bellringer
Open/Open
Open/Open
Bellringer

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-03

PostSubject: Some pics of trail ride   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 8:18 pm

Had to pClub Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Outingmay1708026ly wClub Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Outingmay1708028ith thClub Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Outingmay1708033is photobucket stuffClub Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Outingmay1708009.[img]
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 11:49 pm

Ive got a video of the recovery of alex that i should have up tommarow. Had a blast. I cant wait until next time.
Tony, you were right, after a day on the trails, the jeep does ride like a cadilac. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:06 am

Tony-
Nice pics!
I barely recognize the place...Winch hill looks different - whats the deal with the shoot off at the top of the hill where you guys went down into the gulley???? Thats new isnt it?
Back to top Go down
S h a n e
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
S h a n e

Male
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 12:40 pm

haha nice guys you caught me doing the pit sideways, i was hoping you all ( I didnt know you were the raiders) would post them somewhere haha.

i was caked with mud once i climbed that embankment

p.s. on the one pic it says "Tread Lightly", no where did i kill a tree, hit a tree, kill an animal or run over bush's. The worst i did is maybe tossed some dirt in the air. There was allready a path through there as well.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:03 pm

connordanny wrote:
Tony-
Nice pics!
I barely recognize the place...Winch hill looks different - whats the deal with the shoot off at the top of the hill where you guys went down into the gulley???? Thats new isnt it?

apparently there are now 2 entrances into it... the original I got stuck on way back in the day... and now the one in the foreground which is much steeper.

A group left playing just before we did, and did it reverse like you and Kat... I guess it launches better than what she did to get out...

I was afraid of a forward roll going the "normal" way, so stuck with the one on the right that we used... plus it was shallower ruts for Alex.

The water in the middle was deep though... wish I could have got a pic of that... the passenger side is rutted out, so you go way off camber through it, and the water was almost deep enough to come in on passenger if I had the doors off...

I made 2 1/2 runs... first to test, then turned around in case I had to tug alex down, then another full run cause Laurie never ran it with me. She screamed all the way down, and covered her eyes on the way up... cheers
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:07 pm

S h a n e wrote:
haha nice guys you caught me doing the pit sideways, i was hoping you all ( I didnt know you were the raiders) would post them somewhere haha.

i was caked with mud once i climbed that embankment

p.s. on the one pic it says "Tread Lightly", no where did i kill a tree, hit a tree, kill an animal or run over bush's. The worst i did is maybe tossed some dirt in the air. There was allready a path through there as well.

I try to catch the action when possible... tough when you are leading though... too much going on to handle the camera and stay aware of the situation.

If you want the full resolution let me know and I can send them your way... plus I have a lot more of them too... edited down to a few to give a sense of it.

Excellent job making the bank... wasn't sure if you would at first, and I was nervous of being in the line of fire of mud... but turned out very well... Nice job.

PS... changed caption to reflect Tread Lightly... you might enjoy sauooed
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Forgot kudos to the wife (in trouble now for getting the credit)... aside from the mud pit and the hill descent shots... all the rest were courtesy of Laurie...

Since I bought the pro digital camera she can snap away... I have enough storage and batteries for about 3,000 pictures...

But the down side is I also go through a lot of pictures to find the right ones...

She is getting better at catching the moment so editing is getting easier...

Now if only we could work on her spotting ("the thing with the parts on it is hitting a rock or something..." scratch )
Back to top Go down
S h a n e
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
S h a n e

Male
Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 2:29 pm

yea man, ill take what you got. I never get many pics of my rig cause im ussualy the only one taking pics and or near the front or if not im right behind the guide.

and nice change lol thats funny.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitimeMon May 19, 2008 11:12 pm

S h a n e wrote:
yea man, ill take what you got. I never get many pics of my rig cause im ussualy the only one taking pics and or near the front or if not im right behind the guide.

and nice change lol thats funny.

PM me your email and I will get 'em to you ASAP...

This is the email I got from Rich in response to the link of this story and photos... thought I would share...

Tony:

It was great wheeling with you folks.

Fantastic pictures! If I'd known there would be so many photo ops I would have let somebody better looking drive it.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to pass it along to the pansies who bailed on the trip.

Thanks for letting us tag along. You did a super job as a guide and a trainer.

Thanks again,
Rich & Nancy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008   Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Run May 17th and 18th, 2008
Page 1 of 1