Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Lessons for driving stick?

Go down 
+6
md4wheelin
makitupthehardway
mdcj7
projblacknblue
Chris Taylor
connordanny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Lessons for driving stick? Empty
PostSubject: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Does anyone know if there is a company that offers lessons on driving a stick shift?

I need to tech someone and I think it would go much better if:

A) it wasn't my clutch
B) I wasn't the one in the passenger seat

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Good question. Have you tried the traditional driving schools?
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 7:05 pm

i am just waiting til mine is due for a clutch and then teaching laurie...

tried to teach her in 4L just because it is harder to stall that way so she got used to it... and she got the concept and basics...

but not the finer points like feathering, and holding on a hill...

i understand your dilemma though
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Teach them in your father's jeep and after they learn trade it in on a new Jeep lol! Your father will thank you.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 3:39 pm

That would be a tough sell hjkgghfghfghdgdhdfdh
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 5:40 pm

Bring them around Emily. They can use my jeep and Emily is a great teacher. Women have a way with each other. Plus the 4:1 makes learning super easy.

I taugh her to drive stick by going thru all the steps and taking her to a empty parking lot. Then I got out went to the bench and started reading my latest issue of JP and Crawl mag. She had about 30 minutes of crying. then started getting the hang of it and about a hour later she had the radio going having a blast.

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teaching your fiance or wife to drive your jeep opens many doors you might not enjoy.

1.) now she wants to learn to wheel it.
2.) your jeep now has the ablity to leave without you.
3.) she will want one of her own (not a bad thing. gave me a reason to start the Toy build.

You have been warned.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Danny, Yoiur never siad is it was your fiance.Back when I was getting reary to get married. My fiance took my 74 Nova a sick out while I was not in the car. I was inside the house and heare my car start up and drive away. Maybe you should just let her take it out on her own."I know I'm old" lol!
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 10:14 pm

Maybe I'll let her try it again up at RC this weekend.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 11:26 pm

its one of those things if they want to learn they'll learn it on their own. Like nester said show her the basics and walk away. its easier for someone to learn when someone is not looking over your shouder. if she gets it then she a good woman, if she gives up then you got to wonder what else she will give up on when thr going gets tuff.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 4:52 pm

md4wheelin wrote:
its one of those things if they want to learn they'll learn it on their own. Like nester said show her the basics and walk away. its easier for someone to learn when someone is not looking over your shouder. if she gets it then she a good woman, if she gives up then you got to wonder what else she will give up on when thr going gets tuff.

Yeah Personally I never was good at driving manual, till I stole my dads car one night for a joy ride with a friend. I drove all night like a pro. Next day dad tells me to drive him to the store for practice. While on the on the way back he says "I would have thought you practiced all night long cause yesterday you had a hardtime and today your a pro" I said "It just came to me what can I say" once we got to the house he looked at me and said "Least you could have done is fill the tank."
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 5:42 pm

I learned by driving a 3 speed on the column wagoneer in a large field. Elva had a hard time with my jeep but after a few days of practicing on her own she did fine. Just get her in the jeep teach her the basics and let her practice alone.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 am

1st time i drove stick was actually in the wrangler nicki's brother in law has now when i was around 12ish. After that my grandmom would let me drive hom her 5 speed civic from work starting at 14. She always said she'd fake a heart attack if we got pulled over lol!

Before she let me drive she always had me shift for her from as long as i can remember. That might be a good pointer to force somebody to pay attention to how it works.

BTW...my grandmom is 80 and still driving stick...she refuses auto because of the steep hill at her house for the winter time. Not much is plowed when she goes to work to open her daycare at 3-4am!!

and the moral of the story...did i learn to drive stick from my grandmom?? dammit no wonder i can't drive
Back to top Go down
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:44 am

Not all girls don't know how to drive a stick. At 15 my dad said if I was going to drive the Vette I better learn to drive a stick in his Nissan pick up...I learned to drive it in one day and had the Vette on the road the day I turned 16. All my vehicles have been stick ever since...automatics are just boring to drive. Not to mention my mom is from Scotland and over there when you take your drivers test if it's done in a stick you can drive either but if you take it in an automatic you aren't allowed to drive a stick...frankly I like that idea. jeepchic
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 1:21 pm

I learned from a friend who owned a VW Beetle at age 16, when going to work, I asked if it was hard to drive a manual transmisison, he said he would let me operate the shifter but I had to pay attention to the engine noise and vibrations, by firmly placing my feet on the floor pan, you can feel the engine rap into a higher rmp and hence learn by feel, watching the ododmeter was to easy to shift. Then my stepfather had a car with a colum shifter, and some old cars I drove for some customer back then. But it wasn't until i join the military that they showed me how to drive the M151A1 Jeep among other vehicles I got certified for. GOD, it's like a life time ago. But I never forgot the manual transmission and I gues I never will. Tried to teach my wife Sonia once, until I heard those gears grind, then I had her pull over and hired a drivers instructor to teach her, she ended up with the auto as her favorite. That's my story.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 1:44 pm

Well today she hates Jeeps - so I'm off the hook until she changes her mind again. jeepchic
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Whenever I get something stick on the lot i take nicki out in that! I like to teach in stones or something loose so when the learner pops the clutch it isn't so painful. After a while of that I had her drive home and she did well until the normal freakouts on hills. The TJs are nice since you can do the handbrake trick much easier and that's something every new learner should know! It's also a good way to find where the clutch grabs even on level.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 4:04 am

Danny - I have a feeling I will be due for a clutch soon anyway... and since I am dropping most of the drive train for the lift in a few weeks what the heck...

We drive the girls to the mall or something... leave them to their shopping... they find their way home with mine while we go drinking or what ever...

Its a win win... Make it or break it... scratch wait... well... not totally break it.
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lessons for driving stick?   Lessons for driving stick? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lessons for driving stick?
Page 1 of 1