Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch Empty
PostSubject: HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch   HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:26 pm

I always heard the term popping the clutch, and knew the theory, but never actually did it...

I am sure there are others who never push started their stick shifts... so I thought this might be helpful in an emergency since I needed it today, but wasn't 100% sure how to do it...

Hope this helps someone else sometime.

You need a manual transmission... I don't know if it will work with autos... I wouldn't risk my tranny to find out.

1) Turn the key to the on position (run... where it rests after started)

2) Put the Jeep (or whatever) in gear (I used 2nd because it was a higher gear ratio, so less chance of jerking to a stop)

3) hold in the clutch

4) Push the vehicle up to speed... Alex pushed me with his jeep up to about 15 MPH...

5) Have the pusher stop... as you coast away slowly feather out the clutch...

6) As the RPMs come up give it a little gas (not a lot, just enough to see if it revs up).

The Jeep started the first time following these steps... each vehicle may be slightly different (as far as what gear to use), but it should give you the basics in a pinch.

At that point I was firing on all cylinders, and wondering why we didn't try that first.

*NOTE* We used another vehicle to push... I didn't want to try to hop in as it rolled down the hill, etc... I guess you could use neutral if you are pushing by hand then throw it in gear... but I think these steps were the safer bet.
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch   HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:55 pm

will not work with an automatic. Don't push your luck with no oil pressure.
Back to top Go down
RatLabGuy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male
Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-03-30

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch   HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 1:09 am

Rockn93YJ wrote:
will not work with an automatic. Don't push your luck with no oil pressure.

in THEORY... it CAN work with certain automatics... but you'd have to time it JUST right, ANd be going about 35 mph already, lol.
So, functionally - no.

i LOVE my auto on teh trail, no 3-legged dance... but this is the one thing I hate, not being able to push start it when I kill the battery...
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch   HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2008 11:46 am

If you are in 4 low you can do it at a much slower speed. I lost my starter on Smake bite and roll started it while being pulled by anothe Jeep.

Good write up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch   HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HOW TO - Start a stick with popping the clutch
Page 1 of 1