Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

busted bolt removal help needed

Go down 
+2
rockdw72
Rockn93YJ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

busted bolt removal help needed Empty
PostSubject: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:42 pm

found a broken bolt in the th400 to 203 adaptor. I tried welding a nut on for removal twice and failed. tried drilling and failed. This is a hardened steel bolt that has been there since 1979. Ideas?

busted bolt removal help needed IMG_0130weldednuttrickdidntworkonha
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:28 pm

That looks like the crossmember mount. is it needed? The doubler has a mount doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:37 pm

never mind just looked at pics. is there enough there to get vise grips on. heat the case and not the bolt and see if it will break free. it looks like its in there pretty good drilling it out might be the only way

Last edited by rockdw72 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:38 pm

rockdw72 wrote:
That looks like the crossmember mount. is it needed? The doubler has a mount doesn't it?

Yes needed. It actually has the bolt pattern for the tranny and 203 on it. Bolt 6 circle pattern onto tranny and then bolt 203 onto the adaptor. The 203 wont bolt directly to the tranny without it.

Got this interesting chart from the creeps.
Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.

They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:40 pm

got some additional advise.

1. heat broken bolt red hot
2. weld another 3/4 nut onto broken bolt
3. apply acetone/atf to other side of bolt
4. let cool
5. heat adaptor to expand it off the bolt
6. try to remove again.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:38 pm

Bill i would do num 5
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 8:58 pm

use snap on easy out with heat and liquid wrench.
Back to top Go down
Hunt
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Hunt

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:04 pm

It blows my mind that the average mechanic does not own a set of left handed drill bits. They are really not that expensive for a basic set and they really are worth there weight in gold. Its one of those "have the right tool for the job and it will pay for it's self the first time you use it" kind of things.

I got my journeyman's license in the Newport News Shipyards and learned very quickly how to remove seawater encrust bolts out of ships equipment.

My recommendation:
Often time the simplest method is the best

Penetrating oil
Vice grips

If there is an edge you can work with a chisel and hammer some times you can actually walk the stud out

If not:

Penetrating oil
Grind head flat
Prick punch
Center punch
Drill

Two things "USUALLY" or "SHOULD" happen.
1. If you can drill it just right you should be able to drill it to the crest of the hole threads and use a scribe to collapse the shell of the bolt.
2. During the drilling process the stud will walk its self out

For the really stubborn ones we had a portable EDM machine that was bad ass.

I just want to be perfectly clear that I am not bagging on anyone. People seem to get butt hurt whenever I post.[left]
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:09 pm

i didn't even know about left handed drill bits till a guy at work showed them to me. I thought it was a joke like a metric adjustible wrench at first. They are pretty nice to have around.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:02 pm

tried the vice grips and even the chisel and hammer with no luck. Ended up drilling it out in stepwise fashion. Was a little off center so looks like I'll be using a bolt through the other side. Thanks for all the advice. i will be gettting a set of left handed bits from the success I've read about on pirate.
busted bolt removal help needed IMG_0140alittleoff
busted bolt removal help needed IMG_0142missionaccomplished
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 12:57 am

bill you jinkzed me. i went to take my tire off today and rounded off a lug nut. So I welded an old socket to it and hit with the air gun again. this time the lug nut broke off below the welds just were it starts to recess into the wheel. So now I really don't have to much of the lug nut left to mess with. So should i just try to drill out the wheel stud till i'm able to break it off?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 9:22 am

that sucks
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 9:56 am

i know, f'ed up part is non of those lug nuts went on hard like it was cross threaded. So i don't know why it don't want to come off.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 9:59 am

take the other lugs off and see if the tiny piece left will break off when you pull on the opposite end of the tire?
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:40 pm

na, shes solid its probly 3/8" or more of nut left
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 am

Sometimes a pointed air chisel will spin them loose we have that problem with those stupid locking nuts all the time if not get the smoke wrench out
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: busted bolt removal help needed   busted bolt removal help needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

busted bolt removal help needed
Page 1 of 1