Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

which chromoly shafts for my d30?

Go down 
+3
md4wheelin
Rockn93YJ
connordanny
7 posters
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

which chromoly shafts for my d30? Empty
PostSubject: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 7:57 pm

I've looked at a ton of different web sites which made me even more confused as to which shafts I should go with for my front Dana Turdy in the TJ and who I should by them from. I'd like to buy em and get them in before Big Dogs in April which is coming up fast! I would want to do the shaft & u-joint combo.
Is Alloy out of business? Does that just leave Superior and Yukon?
Does anybody have Randy's address handy? Maybe I'll e-mail him and see what he can get.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 11:55 pm

301-791-6869

http://adventurous4x4.com/home.php
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks Bill...

I called Randy and he has a good deal on Nitro shafts.

http://www.nitro-gear.com/axles/

Anyone heard anything about them?

Matt - do you remember what the inner and outer spline count was on the stock TJ?
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 2:24 pm

30 spline IIRC

also check with chris on the board, he sells that stuff as well.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 pm

I don't remember but the site says 27. I was gonna though chris's name out there also.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Stock D30 is 27 spline. the super 30 kit takes it to 30 spline like the D44. The outers are 27 spline I believe as well.
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:17 pm

That reminds me...I still have that D30 shaft if you are still interested. I just saw it the other day.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:26 pm

That makes sense because I've slapped in about 6 random junkyard spares in the last few years and they all fit. - I assume they were all 27sp
I'll PM Chris tonight about them too.

Kat - I'll still buy your spare. Can you bring it to BD? I think I'll use them as spares for my dad's YJ so I'll buy both if you still have 'em. He said he and his brother want to come down to BD in April too!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Didn't your dad buy a rubicon? Danny Chromo D30 shafts will hold up better but I would still carry spares they are not full proof.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah he has a Rubicon that stays under a cover in his driveway - but he drives his YJ everyday to work in DC.

I still have 1 more set of spares for the TJ plus the crappy ones in there now - im just tired of changing them every time out. haha
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 11:39 pm

connordanny wrote:
im just tired of changing them every time out. haha

good time for a axle swap....
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 12:24 am

time to cut up the ford Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 4:38 pm

i would get a super 30 kit or replace the axle.... i would not get the same spline shaft.....it's time to upgrade 4
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:54 pm

No problem Danny. There is only one. The other one had broken splines.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 12:14 am

Its really all up to Danny's time line for his build. If major upgrades are further down the road I would say that the upgraded shafts are not a bad idea. Not the best but good for piece of mind and enjoying wheeling more. Wheel it smart and he should be fine he might break a shaft every 5 to 6 runs vs. every other time out. If he gets the right brand shafts he can get free warranty replacements. Okay on the flip side a axle swap would be a good idea but not a cheap venture by any means.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 9:29 am

spares are cheap and easy to fix. Get a complete spare wtih ujoint and outer and takes 23 minutes to change. Axle swaps are expensive and takes away the daily streetablilty of the vehicle. If you can fight the temptation you can keep the cost of these wheeling trips under control. Besides D30 shafts are the fuse that keeps your balls in check while wheeling. lol!
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 3:40 pm

23 minutes, damn rookies I can swap a 30 shaft out in 15 minutes flat. Trust me i have some experience with that lol!
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:41 pm

yeah danny, i take it back.... you have a baby now, you prob. should not spend that much money. besides, a stock axle shaft makes you a more carefull driver.. have you already changed the u-joints themselves for an upgraded joint? just to see if it makes a difference for you
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 am

All these spares that I've thrown in have their orig u-joint. I've replaced a few really bad u-joints with the NAPA brand. I usually always pick up a set or two of spares at the York Jeep show but these Nitro axles also have a No Questions asked Lifetime Warranty on axle shafts and they're about $250 less than the Superior ones I was looking at.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:42 am

if it is a no ques. warranty,you have the money, and it is in your budget... then go for it. but i would still put some kind of aftermarket joint in with it..........its all up to you buddy
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 2:33 pm

I would think with you wheeling the 35's I would go with the shafts but run the stock U-joints. Maybe even one you can grease. I have wheeled on the stock joints in the Dana 30 and now the 44. 95% of all my broken axles have been axle failure. If you break the shaft you will end up either rebuilding a fancy u-joint or replacing it with a new one. The other thing you can do maybe take that 250 your saving and get a rear locker. The front is doing all the work, that would take away from a lot of the stress the front is under.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Yeah Nester - I'm thinking a fresh Spicer 760 is an upgrade from the crap I've been putting in there. These junkyard spares I've been putting in could have 200k miles on them for all I know and the Napa ones crumbled pretty fast too. I guess it didnt help that i would repeatedly bury it in the mud, then drive it 65 miles up and down I-95 every day either. I don't dd it anymore, but I don't want a joint that I cant take out on the highway either.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 11:47 am

I have done those junkyard swaps to but I learned quickly that you spend the 20 bucks for a new joint and you get more life out of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which chromoly shafts for my d30?   which chromoly shafts for my d30? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

which chromoly shafts for my d30?
Page 1 of 1