Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

square driveshaft

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

square driveshaft Empty
PostSubject: square driveshaft   square driveshaft Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 7:58 pm

All right after tearing up my drive shaft the last time out it left me with two options.
1. go downto the junkyard and get another on for probly a good piece of change.
2. go with the sye kit which forces me to have to buy custom drive shaft.

The $550 price tag on that Idea didn't look so great plus if I hit another rock im out of a $200 shaft. Since this jeep is a trailer queen I came up with the idea of going with the square driveshaft were you have one piece of square thick wall steel that slides into the next like you see on farm equipment and stuff. So for $40 I got enough medal to make two drive shafts. I figured the stock shaft I got now is 30" minus the part that goes into the TC. So I figured if I cut the two pieces at 20" this would give me about 7"of workable play with a fail safe of about 9" or so. I'm going to drill and tap the outside square so I can put a grease fitting in and get grease in between the pieces of medal so the slide smoothly. I'm guessing the thick wall steel should be alot tougher then the old drive shaft seeing that they make rock sliders out of that stuff. Plus if I bend it I just cut off the ends and reweld it. I know this has been done before on a jeep so I was wondering if anyone else had luck with this set up. I'm going to try to get this fabed up over the next couple of days so when I finish i'll post up some pics. One of these days I'll get a real drive shaft for the road but I figured this would be cheap fix to get the jeep back on the trail.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

square driveshaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: square driveshaft   square driveshaft Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2007 9:31 pm

I would do it. .25 wall thickness, 2 and 1.5in. only a little grease needed because it is not a really tight fit. if you run beads down the sides or corners of the large tube it will tighten it up a bit. That will be my next front shaft.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

square driveshaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: square driveshaft   square driveshaft Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2007 1:03 am

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90517&highlight=square+driveshaft
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

square driveshaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: square driveshaft   square driveshaft Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

square driveshaft
Page 1 of 1