Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement

Go down 
+5
ne14jpn
Rockn93YJ
rockdw72
makitupthehardway
connordanny
9 posters
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Empty
PostSubject: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 pm

I developed a bad vibration at 40 mph recently. The last few days there was an awful knocking under my feet. I pulled the front DS and the vibes and noise wet away. I bought new u-joints, but don't know how to go about replacing them. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
Tryig to remove the u-joint:
Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Driveshaft023
Dent from a rock:
Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Driveshaft020

Last edited by on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 11:42 pm

Danny if I were you I would take the drive shaft to a drive line shop or a mechanic shop and have them rebuld the CV and press in a new joint. It will save time and it shouldn't cost more than 100 bucks. You might find someone with a press or that is willing to help but sometimes its nice to let someone else do the dirty work Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 11:43 pm

here you go I love this site tons of info
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driveshaft/driveshaft-2.htm
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 am

I dropped it off at A1 driveline this morning. they said it has to be re-tubed....all cause of that 1 little dent. If I'm gonna have it retubed I want it to be because of something cool like it sheares in half like Matt's did.
Oh well....
He also said the pin on the transfer case side is likely bad. He's gonna press in the new u-joints for me as well. There was a dark mark where the D/S has been contacting the transfer case skid.... I might have to do some cutting there.

Rich - they had a german shepherd guard dog there at the shop.....He could use a few pointers from Skylar!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 11:57 am

Good choice in sending it to the shop. I will only change my own if it is a trail repair now. The fact that the shaft had a dent could mean the vibration was from a bent shaft and replacing the u joints may not have cured the problem. The u joint replacement can be a headache if not done right.
Back to top Go down
ne14jpn
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
ne14jpn

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 2:03 pm

since they are retubing it, make sure they increase the wall thickness of tube.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/millerrockracing
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 7:06 pm

Not eveyone can be like me danny Razz jk. It was a good idea getting that retubed cause that dent makes the driveshaft very weak.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 9:33 pm

Hey Danny...

Just curious... was that the source of your "sherman tank" noise squeaking down the trails?
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeTue Feb 20, 2007 10:28 pm

mrjeepy wrote:
Hey Danny...

Just curious... was that the source of your "sherman tank" noise squeaking down the trails?
It must have been something stuck up in the drums. I pressure washed them out real good and the squeaks went away. mbn Freezingaxle syndrome went away too!

The wobbly front ds wreaked havoc on my front pinion seal and its leaking (4 inch round puddle after being parked 9hrs) Thanks to Kat (and Von via phone) I know how to fix that.
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 12:04 am

I may take your tip on skylar. Also good choice with the DS. For my part i would have gotten rid of the CV(double kardan joint) altogether on it. An ran a standeard drivshaft. I never understood jeep on this one. But it is defienetly not needed on the front. Oh well my .02
Back to top Go down
https://mrr4x4cforum.editboard.com
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 11:43 am

I picked up the rebuild this morning. Its nice and shiney now... I guess it will just rust like the stock one. If I tried to paint it or put some kind of coating that would throw it out of balance again, right?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 12:40 pm

I don't think so. The shop down by me puts a fresh coat on everything they do.
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 1:05 pm

Danny - call me before you change that seal. I found out something we didn't do that we should have done last time.
Back to top Go down
ne14jpn
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
ne14jpn

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 9:42 pm

definately paint er up. won't affect anything except rust prevention!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/millerrockracing
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2007-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 11:38 pm

ya danny paint her up
Back to top Go down
https://mrr4x4cforum.editboard.com
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 8:27 pm

connordanny wrote:
I picked up the rebuild this morning. Its nice and shiney now... I guess it will just rust like the stock one. If I tried to paint it or put some kind of coating that would throw it out of balance again, right?

I know I am reviving an old post but when I broke my pinion strap bolt I may have banged up the drive shaft. I am having it checked in the morning. My question is how much did this run you to retube it and where you satisfied with A1? I was going wheel'n this weekend so I would like to have this done ASAFP and I looked at new ones and almost crapped myself on the prices. is there a source to find what other years match? I would like to get the one off the 90 XJ 4 door automatic that I got the pinion yoke from if it will match even if it is for a spare.

And does anyone have the #

Last edited by on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 8:30 pm

Retube and Balance normally cost anywhere from 150-200. Thats at my local shop.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 12:09 am

That price is about right, but they also pressed in 3 new u-joints and reconditioned the ball on the transfer case end of the driveshaft.
It only took one day.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 12:20 am

Thanks for the # and address, Danny. I called them and if I drop it off Friday Morning they will have it back to me in a couple of hours. mbn Looks like I will make it to Rausch this week after all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement   Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Driveshaft U-Joint replacement
Page 1 of 1