Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Rear U-joint

Go down 
+2
onemoretime
lloyder05
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lloyder05
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
lloyder05

Male
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2007-01-31

Rear U-joint Empty
PostSubject: Rear U-joint   Rear U-joint Icon_minitimeMon Feb 05, 2007 4:51 pm

My rear U-joint just started knocking, on my 2003 Rubicon, when I tap the throttle. Should I replace it w/ a standard u-joint on is there a certain HD one that you all can suggest? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Rear U-joint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear U-joint   Rear U-joint Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2007 1:33 am

i would just go get a new ujoint best they have where you go to and just make sure it is one that is greasable so you can purge the water out of it. driving2
Back to top Go down
https://mrr4x4cforum.editboard.com
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Rear U-joint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear U-joint   Rear U-joint Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2007 11:31 am

Only use the greasable one if you are truly going to climb under there after each ride and lubricate everything. I use the ones without grease fittings because I know I'm not that good about climbing under there and greasing it after every trip. I've only gone through about 2 in 2 years. To answer your question I don't think there is much difference in the standard and HD joints as far as strength. It is the U joint you want to fail if anything does. THe standard joints work just fine.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Rear U-joint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear U-joint   Rear U-joint Icon_minitimeTue Feb 06, 2007 2:40 pm

You have to option of being lazy or if your willing and service your rig regularly you can get a U-joint with the zerk fitting. Please what ever you do please pick up some extra u joint straps or bolts and a extra U-joint just in case you break one one the trail. It might be a good time to pick up some backups for the front drive shaft and the front axles. just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
treefrog
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
treefrog

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-01-21

Rear U-joint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear U-joint   Rear U-joint Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2007 9:05 pm

makitupthehardway wrote:
Please what ever you do please pick up some extra u joint straps or bolts and a extra U-joint just in case you break one one the trail. It might be a good time to pick up some backups for the front drive shaft and the front axles. just my 2 cents.

X 2. That's the best advice you could get. Ask me how I know.tongue Or ask Nester, Rich, Eric, Tico, Von, Lynn, or anybody else who was there that day. I now carry a stack of u-joints with me when I wheel.
Rear U-joint Th_DSC000331
Back to top Go down
lloyder05
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
lloyder05

Male
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2007-01-31

Rear U-joint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear U-joint   Rear U-joint Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Picked a stack up today. Thanks for the all the advise! Cool
Back to top Go down
ne14jpn
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
ne14jpn

Male
Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-01-21

Rear U-joint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear U-joint   Rear U-joint Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2007 11:36 pm

I remember that day at Rausch, impressive to say the least. I don't like the ones with the "zerk" type fitting in the body because it creates a potentially weaker spot in the joint to fail. Tom Wood's U-joints have needle fittings on the caps to service. Its a nice design, best of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/millerrockracing
Sponsored content

Rear U-joint Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rear U-joint   Rear U-joint Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear U-joint
Page 1 of 1