Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

My Freezing Rear

Go down 
+3
Rockn93YJ
connordanny
projblacknblue
7 posters
AuthorMessage
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2007 10:00 pm

:oops: Now that I have your attention...

Ever since muddy pipeline my passenger rear locks up if I park for more than a few minutes (15 to 20 ish).

The degree of "frozen" ranges from a quick "pop" to the point of the whole rear end rolling up on the suspension as the rear axle twists. affraid

It is like if you ever tried to drive off with the parking brake set.

I thought it might have been ice on the brake pads from the water/mud... but shouldn't that have been cleared out by now?

This morning it was just the quick pop (after sitting all night for about 12 hours) but after work it was a full lock up that took a bit of rocking (only 9 hours, and it was warmer in the day than over night).

I am puzzled... Thinking Wheel bearings or brake pads/drums... but why just one wheel.

Once it is broken loose it is fine until I park it again for a long period of time.

Anyone got another idea before I rip the whole wheel apart this weekend?
agfgadhfghsdsja agfgadhfghsdsja Question
Thanks.

Tony
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 12:51 am

I've got the same exact symptoms!
And its not getting any better
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 8:57 am

I'm willing to bet water in the rear diff
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 12:23 pm

scratch I guess the best bet would be tear it all down including diff and make sure all your seals are still sealed. Sounds like water got in some where and can't get out. As far as how hard it is to get it to pop is because it all depends on the angle the jeep is sitting when the water refrezes. IF you want to swing by the shop tonight to tear it down let me know. I'll be there finishing up putting the zj back together.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2007 11:29 pm

k... so i tore into the truck a little today...

There were 2 issues as of Thursday...

A) Rear still freezing solid after parked a bit
B) High pitch metal on metal squeal that fades in and out (above 40 mph... does not change pitch, only volume... brakes, gas, and turning do not seem to make a differance)

After speaking with Rich Thursday night he felt the shreak could be a few things...

1) Caliper freezing/jammed from dirt.
2) Stone or something on dust sheild
3) Front CV drive shaft joint.

As for the rear freezing... dirt/water in the drums...

It has been warm out the past few days, so the freezing has not re-occured... but the squealing continues...

Today I crawled under and took a good look at the calipers on the front... all looked good, but I still shot them down with some Simple Green, let it soak in, then hit it with a pressure wash at the car wash (that was cooooooooooooold!!! affraid ) The line of people waiting behind to wash the salt off also thought I was nuts, but it's a Jeep thing...

I also sprayed out the drums... adding more water in.. I know... but a lot of mud washed out... so I figure maybe it was the mud that was actually keeping some of the water in... heat up when driving... slosh around, then refreeze.

Anyway... hopefully that will do it... if not... well... I will take Joe up on his offer and write a review on his new shop... Exclamation
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeSat Feb 10, 2007 11:30 pm

k... so i tore into the truck a little today...

There were 2 issues as of Thursday...

A) Rear still freezing solid after parked a bit
B) High pitch metal on metal squeal that fades in and out (above 40 mph... does not change pitch, only volume... brakes, gas, and turning do not seem to make a differance)

After speaking with Rich Thursday night he felt the shreak could be a few things...

1) Caliper freezing/jammed from dirt.
2) Stone or something on dust sheild
3) Front CV drive shaft joint.

As for the rear freezing... dirt/water in the drums...

It has been warm out the past few days, so the freezing has not re-occured... but the squealing continues...

Today I crawled under and took a good look at the calipers on the front... all looked good, but I still shot them down with some Simple Green, let it soak in, then hit it with a pressure wash at the car wash (that was cooooooooooooold!!! affraid ) The line of people waiting behind to wash the salt off also thought I was nuts, but it's a Jeep thing...

I also sprayed out the drums... adding more water in.. I know... but a lot of mud washed out... so I figure maybe it was the mud that was actually keeping some of the water in... heat up when driving... slosh around, then refreeze.

Anyway... hopefully that will do it... if not... well... I will take Joe up on his offer and write a review on his new shop... Exclamation
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2007-01-18

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2007 4:23 am

Soooooooooooooooooo.....................Is it fixed now????????????????? Or is the thing still speaking at you
Back to top Go down
https://mrr4x4cforum.editboard.com
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2007 2:03 pm

Danny, did yours get any better yet? I was finally able to take mine to the car wash yesterday to get all the mud & rocks & crap out of the wheels & brakes but it's still on the trailer. I'm hoping I won't have the same problem you guys are having when I go to take it off. I already know I have e-brake issues. :roll:
Back to top Go down
MaxRox
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
MaxRox

Female
Number of posts : 137

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2007 2:49 pm

My e-brake worked just fine after I hosed everything off. Hopefully, you will have the same luck, Kat.

Of course, my brake pads froze Sunday morning. Sounded like rice crispies coming down off the trailer.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2007 3:08 pm

Mud Slinger wrote:
Danny, did yours get any better yet? I was finally able to take mine to the car wash yesterday to get all the mud & rocks & crap out of the wheels & brakes but it's still on the trailer. I'm hoping I won't have the same problem you guys are having when I go to take it off. I already know I have e-brake issues. :roll:

It has stopped locking up, but it is still squealing from the rear at speeds up to 20 mph.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitimeTue Feb 13, 2007 11:42 pm

3 days after pressure washing and all is well... I was nervous today when the whole truck was a sheet of ice from the weather, but after defrosting all the windows, no issues...

Guess I found another great use for Simple Green (soaking calipers and drums before pressure washing) cheers

Rich... you da man...

Now if only I could figure out why my posts keep double posting... scratch (I only click send once) monkey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Freezing Rear Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Freezing Rear   My Freezing Rear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Freezing Rear
Page 1 of 1