Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44

Go down 
+5
onemoretime
rockdw72
connordanny
MYYJROX
makitupthehardway
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44   RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 4:11 pm

welded rear will drive like crap in wet or snowy terrain and not the best on sand either. sounds like you need to figure out what exactly you want to do with the jeep in order to progress with the project. otherwise leave it alone and just build a buggy.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44   RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 5:56 pm

The coil one will work if the mounts arent cast part of the tube (if you post a pic I can tell you if it is the right one). as you can see in the link that I posted you can just cut off the mounts and put new perches on. another thing is you will have to do spring over to use the f250 one, because the perch is cast into the diff. if you wanted to keep sping under and wanted the perch cast in the diff then you might want to look for a driver side drop wagoneer. I believe they are also only 61" wms to wms witch is only alittle bit wider then you current yj axle.

I am at work right now, but when I make it home I can explain some stuff alittle better and get more info, if needed
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44   RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Yeah I know that the welded rear will drive like crap but for setting the pinion angle and hooking up the brakes it should work just fine. The other option is the carrier out of the Ford Dana 44 has a good open carrier that I can use to put in the rear that I can put a aussie or a lock right in and be done with it. I have grown to love the one that I have in the Dana 35. It does fine on the street. If I end up going that route I will get master rebuild kits front and rear and set the 4:56's in the axles and call it done. If nothing else I will part the HP 44 for what I can get out of it and maybe keep the outers if I do the build later down the road. I could get another season or two out of the front if I get the Ring and pinion rebuilt. The Dana 35 in the rear is shot there is no saving that POS. If I cut the build short I should be back to wheeling in the next month or so. 9
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44   RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 3:06 pm

Okay the plan as changed again do to the steal of a deal that i found up in parkville.

I was on craigslist and found a 8.8 with 4:10's and all the mounts already setup for a YJ. So I went and picked it up and next week I will have all the parts I need to start the swap. The plan for the front is gut the 44 that i have for the parts that I need off of it and once the rear is in a done I will clear up the shop and start the hunt for a F 250 Dana 44 HP to have cut down and build.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44   RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2007 11:54 pm

Finally got my stuff all together and made a lot of progress this last two weekends. I ended up gutting and cleaning out the 8.8 It was a mess. I took the grinder and wire wheel to it and paint to make it look nice. I rebuilt the e-brakes and put fresh gear oil in. In the process I found that its open carrier without the LS so I may end up buying a lunch box locker for it in the weeks to come I'm not sure yet. Well anyways its in and the jeep is running I have to e-brake cable on order should be in tomorrow. If all goes well tomorrow I should be dropping the yj off for state inspection and emissions I hope I pass with the jeep as is. i do have to set up a tail pipe but I should be good. I might make it out to wheel in August. Pics to come i have to load them up.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44   RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 8:23 pm

nester look into getting a aussie locker for it lockrights are only rated upto 31" tire aussie have no limit.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44   RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2007 7:09 pm

Thanks Paul. I wish I could make it to the pa jeeps then I might be able to find a deal but I will in time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44   RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Dana 35 HELLO Dana 44
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2