Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Tires

Go down 
+4
lloyder05
Allium
killerisdead
Chris Taylor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 1:39 am

Time to get tires for my jeep. I know that everyone has an opinion and everyone will have a favorite but here are the ones I am looking at.

Goodyear MTR this is what is on there now and I have a new one in the basement so the spare will match but this is not a big issue.

BFG Mud Terrains

Pro Comp X terrains

Pro Comp Mud Terrains

A Friend in AZ has the X terrains and swears by them and they are $100 off so the price is only slightly more than the others.

Any bad experiences with any of the above? Any great experience?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-04-30

Tires Empty
PostSubject: tires   Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 9:21 am

i really am digin these bfg mud terrain right now. the only time i got stuck since i put them on was in some deep thick mud right after it rained and when i say deep i mean deep i couldnt see my front tires at all but tires you already own seem like the good idea.....cameron
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 10:32 am

Are these also road tires? As I butt in here I will be looking soon and mine my DD so are these on/off?
Back to top Go down
lloyder05
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
lloyder05

Male
Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2007-01-31

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 10:34 am

I am running the MTR's. So far they have been superb off road and not loud on the open road (as you know already) They are kind of expensive, but with one at home already, you could save a little cash....

I also have the BFG's on my YJ. I liked them, but feel as though the MTR's are a lot meatier and quieter than the BFG'S...

There's my .02 cheers
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 12:37 pm

I ran my used 1/3 tread goodyear MTR during the last snowstorm and they performed awesome. They do tend to squeal on the corners though on hot dry pavement (unlocked). If you decide on BFG mud terrain be aware that they are making a new tread pattern for it and it will be released very shortly. The new pattern look a lot like the BFG krawlers but "more road friendly" and are shown in the last JP magazine and off road adventures magazine. Is there any reason you are not looking at the Mickey Thompson MTZ? My own personal preference is anything but Procomp although I only heard from one person that had them and it was negative feedback.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 8:00 pm

Yes it is a daily driver also. The MTR's were pretty worn when I got the jeep so I have not got a "feel" for thier durability. My instict is to stick with them, but still looking.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 8:22 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
Is there any reason you are not looking at the Mickey Thompson MTZ?.

No Would you recommend these over any of the others? They seem to be about the same cost.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 12:47 am

I would try to wait for the new bfgs...they look badass! Nicki's brother in law was just on the hunt for tires but i couldn't get him to wait for the new bfgs so he ended up going for the 33" kms. My personal preference is the bfg mud terrains. Goodyears have always turned me off and i've never seem impressive performance offroad with them. i do like the pro comps. My only complaint with the bfg muds was sidewall strength and I went through my far share of them. I am biased though...it's the only tire I ever ran and ever will run! I've have 31" AT KOs on the pathfinder and had 31", 33", and 35" Muds on my Jeep. I loved the changes and improvement especially from the old mud terrain to the KM and i'm excited to see their latest redesign. Love them!

Also, i was talking to rich about this the other night and I believe he recommend coopers mud terrain? not sure about them but he said they're siped which is really nice, especially for the street in the rain. The sipes like in the BFG ATs seem to find great traction on wet rock and combining the sipes with a larger void would be a great combo.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 8:37 am

If you want a super street friendly tire that is a good light duty trail tire I would say go with a BFG A/T. I have a set for my wrangler for the street and they have been beat and ran hard for about 4 years and they are great. I have had them in 31's as well when the YJ was a baby and I love them too.

The grand cherokee is on 31's Goodyear MTR's. So far after driving about 20K on them they are wearing good but I baby those tires with rotating them every other oil change and I check the pressure every other time I full her up. If you don't watch those tires they cup bad in the rear and chop in the front. But they look really cool and ride okay.

The other thing you can do is get a set of nice street 33's and then go out and buy some cheap 33 TSL's or something like them and just run them when your going wheeling. Thats seems to be a common thing to do with the people that Daily Drive there rig.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 7:42 pm

any thoughts on the swamper thornbirds as a on/off roader?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 11:38 pm

Tornbirds are really loud on the street. No good on the rocks (so i have seen and been told). The side walls work great in mud but thats about it. If you want a mean trail tire with semi street friendly manners i would check out the SSR-TSL's they did well for me and I think Bobbi likes her set that max is on. finding the middle ground on tires its not a easy battle. You want something that will kick ass on the trails but be nice on the streets. I have only had the big mtr's on the rig for a week and i like them but I'm not sure just yet.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 10:22 am

I was looking at the thornbirds cause they came in 33x11.50 - I was worried a 33x12.5 would need a spacer. Would a 12.50 work if the wheel had a 3.75 backspacing? (04 tj)
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 11:13 am

Super swamper makes a couple for tires that you can get in a 33x10.50 and 33x11.50. I have seen guys run 12.50 tires but they might rub a little.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:11 pm

arent thornbirds bias ply. I seem to recall someone complaining about them flatspotting from sitting overnight and they ride really rough until they heat up.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:27 pm

yeah i think so. keep in mind how these tires ride on the street
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Number of posts : 26

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 11:52 pm

I'm running 33x12.5 with 3.75bs and I haven't had any rubbing issues. I've had ProComp M/T's on it for about 20K miles and they have been holding up great. They do well of road but they do make a little more noise on the street then the O/E MTR's. My only complaint about the ProComps is the sidewall strength, it could be better.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 10:33 pm

whats the back space on rubi rims? or did you swap them for some other rims? the main question was what width tire can he run with stock rims. i know guys with stock rubicon rims use spacers with 35's but not sure about 33's
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Number of posts : 26

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 1:25 am

stock rubi rims are 4.5bs I think. I'm running steelies with 3.75bs.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 12:49 pm

what was your final decision?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tires Empty