Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

wheels and tires

Go down 
+4
Chris Taylor
4jeepnuts
killerisdead
Allium
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 3:00 pm

stock 04 tj se with 15x7 aluminum wheels I believe 5 on 4 1/2
I will be putting a basic 4" rough country suspension lift on soon. What are my options on tires? Would like to do maybe a 33x12.5 but is that an option without spacers? can I go 35? Do I need new wheels? Looking for inexpensive ideas. Thanks
Back to top Go down
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-04-30

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: yeerr   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 5:03 pm

with the d35 rear end 33 max is what ive been told the reason ive got wheel spacers on mine is that the tires rub on the leaf springs when i turn ...you dont have leaf spring ......so you might not need them but 12.50 is also about an inch wider then my tire .....did you order longer brake lines .........i would think thats a must.....
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 5:19 pm

Ya got brake line. I want to put the max safe sized tire on. I could thinner I guess. I donno. I want to avoid the spacers since that tacks on another 200 bucks. But tire = height and Im tired of bottom knockin
Back to top Go down
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Ain't nuttin' cheep w/ tires anymore.

Have you changed your gears yet and do you drive it on the street a lot ?

Yes you will need new wheels 7" is too narrow for even 33" tires.

the wider the rim you mount tires on the less ballooning you'll have, if your backspacing is correct it may help the rubbing situation.

Hopefully some TJ X-perts will give you more recommendations.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 7:02 pm

killerisdead wrote:
with the d35 rear end 33 max is what ive been told

I am running 35's on my D35 but I have a full floater kit in the rear and warn axle shafts. I think with just the 4" lift go with the 33's. I was at Rausch on Sunday with a guy on 33's and he did everything I did. If you really think about it you are only getting an Inch more clearance from a 2" tire change.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 7:09 pm

"Yes you will need new wheels 7" is too narrow for even 33" tires."

Ok taking recommendations - I know it aint cheap but the budget is taking a beating!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 7:10 pm

I would install the kit and then borrow someones spare(or a couple of them) to check for clearance before buying anything. keep in mind the backspacing of the wheel will influence the clearance. I run just 3 1/4 backspacing so the tires are moved out a little. Another thing you have to consider is local laws regarding how far out the tires can protrude from th efenders. in Maryland the tire cannot stick out past the fender flare. if you drop a coin from the side of the flare it cannot hit tread. so to make a long story short try borrowing wheels/tires before buying. keep your eyes open for people upgrading as you may get a great deal on a set of wheels and tires.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 7:11 pm

i used this site:
http://www.tirepackage.com/
and had the tires and rims shipped to my door already mounted and balanced. All I had to do was bolt them on the Jeep. If you catch them when they are having a sale or rebate you can get a good deal. 15x8 Black steel wheels are in the $40 range....... tire prices well the sky is the limit!
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2007 9:03 pm

as with everyone else... I would say 33 is your limit for now unless you add a body lift...

I run 33 x 10.5 x 15 with no rub issues... no back spacing required.

They also abide by all MD laws as I just passed the safety inspection with them on... so I did not need special flares to cover the tread even though they are slightly wider than stock...

As for performance... no complaints... just ask anyone in the club... I go A LOT of places most people don't even attempt stock...

well... technically still a stocker... only 2" budget lift (spacer) plus 1.25" body to shoehorn the tires in...

BF Goodrich all terrain...

Next set will probably be the BFG Mud Terrains or Baja Claws... we shall see when the next lift comes... but they will be for off road only, and back to these for the street as I love them that much.

A wise man (Erik Miller) once taught me... "Its not the lift... its how you drive it" - Paragon in November with an unlifted YJ on 33s (no fenders).
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2007 10:57 am

Hey Tony Eric was running less than 33's with no lift. Yeah you could run 33's with your stock wheels with no issues. If later on you want new wheels you can get new wheels. What kinda tires do you want to run? 35's with a dana 35 works until you put in a locker. THe D35 is not a strong axle. Count how many of us have blown them up. My vote is start with 33's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wheels and tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: wheels and tires   wheels and tires Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wheels and tires
Page 1 of 1