Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Time to shave my rear and

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Time to shave my rear and Empty
PostSubject: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 6:16 pm

I've been puttin this off for a while but I am really busy for awhile so time for some mods. Going through Randy Wood of Adventurous 4x4 and Full Circle Performance to have the Currie rear 9" shaved and skid plated. Also I'm going to have them install my hydraulic assist steering from PSC. I think I can do it but I don't feel like messing with it all summer to get it right and besides I still have tile to lay in the bathroom project. The jeep is scheduled for second week of July and should be ready for me to pick up the weekend of teh WEROCK competition.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2007 9:57 pm

OK so the jeep is not ready yet as they ran into some installation issues. The PSC hydraulic assist steering kit requires a 1" body lift to allow the steering box lines to clear the radiator. SO, they are installing a 2" body lift for me. Why 2" you ask? well because this will force me into a direction I was already planning on going anyway. I was eventually going to lower my jeep by about 3" and tuck the tranny up tight to the body and go with a flat belly pan. Now with the 2" lift and soon to purchase MORE motor mounts (raises engine 1") I should be able to tuck that huge atlas up and tuck the tummy. To lower the suspension I will need to fab some new coilover shock mounts and triangulate the rear coilovers. Since I'm messing with it anyway I'm going to stretch the rear about 5". The rear is shaved and plated. Should be done Thursday if all goes well, at least the PSC install portion. the rest I hope to have done by Jeeps on the Beach.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 6:36 pm

Yahoo! jeep is ready to be picked up, going up tomorrow (24th) to pick it up. then the work begins. gotta flatten the tires and take the top off to get it in the garage.
1. stretch rear 5", new control arms and mounts, driveshaft.
2. drop jeep 3-4".
3. install 1" lift MORE motor mounts.(ordered from Adventurous 4x4)
4. raise tranny/transfer case to allow flat (or nearly flat) belly pan.
5. fab belly pan and reinforce without loosing clearance.
6. set pinion angles.
7. Comp cut? we'll see.
8. both rearmost body mounts have the bolts busted off. gonna have to fix that.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2007 11:29 pm

hey bill what are you going to use for a belly pan? i was right about to order engine mounts to do the same thing. i already have the 2 inch body lift. after talking to randy he had told me that all i need is a new belly pan and the MORE lift mounts. Take lots of pics.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:05 pm

makitupthehardway wrote:
hey bill what are you going to use for a belly pan? i was right about to order engine mounts to do the same thing. i already have the 2 inch body lift. after talking to randy he had told me that all i need is a new belly pan and the MORE lift mounts. Take lots of pics.

My current belly pain is beat to snot so my options are to buy one already fabricated or make my own. since the atlas is much bigger than standard I don't believe there is a belly up skid plate out there for me to just throw in there and I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a piece of prefabricated steel when I can make my own. So I'm going to install the MORE motor mounts with 1" lift, then get a jack under there and see how tight I can squeeze it in there and keep everything functional. then I will fabricate my own. it may need some 2x2 along the frame rails to gain clearance but I'm not going to do that if I don't have to. I'm thinking about going as high up as I can and then cut a relief in the metal so the atlas will stick down through and then build a metal guard around the atlas. So ideally it will be flat with the frame rails except for the hump of metal sticking down protecting the atlas. then on the flat metal I will weld some angle iron to the topside of the skid for strength. If it doesn't work I'll do some WV engineering and just keep adding more metal until it works.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:08 pm

Got the jeep back today and need to add one more thing to my list of things to do.
9. modify fuel tank skid to raise fuel tank 2-3 inches.
PSC motorsports said they figured most jeeps have body lifts and thats why they didn't mention it as a requirement when you buy the kit.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 8:25 pm

cool still take pics and keep me up to date with it. I still want to do the same mod. that and my gas tank cant take much of a beating before i need to change it out.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 12:32 am

I saw you hauling your rig on Rt.12 today on my way back to the auction! I was like whoa sweet yj and i'm like damn that's bill! Can't wait to see the outcome!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2007 9:33 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
Yahoo! jeep is ready to be picked up, going up tomorrow (24th) to pick it up. then the work begins. gotta flatten the tires and take the top off to get it in the garage.
1. stretch rear 5", new control arms and mounts, driveshaft.
2. drop jeep 3-4".
3. install 1" lift MORE motor mounts.(ordered from Adventurous 4x4)
4. raise tranny/transfer case to allow flat (or nearly flat) belly pan.
5. fab belly pan and reinforce without loosing clearance.
6. set pinion angles.
7. Comp cut? we'll see.
8. both rearmost body mounts have the bolts busted off. gonna have to fix that.

Well first snag in my plan. If I lower the jeep the front will have clearance issues between the front track bar and the hydraulic assist steering ram. if i relocate the track bar there will still be clearance issues up front with the large 9" housing and high pinion. I'll look at it again but I'm tempted to say no drop and just get bigger tires.
I spent the day fixin stuff. Repaired the 2 body mounts in the rear of the jeep since the bolts broke off. Had to cut an access hole to put a nut on the other end and filled the access hole with a 2" reverse light. I picked the wrong light though I think since it is a 12v LED and it doesnt work. That or the fuse is blown or something. Also repacked the front wheel bearings, changed the oil, overfilled the rear differential and switched back to the IROKs. The 35" tires look silly on there so I'm going to keep the 36" Iroks on there. Probably will sell the other set of tires and wheels. The hydraulic assist steering is really nice and the shaved rear looks good as well. Nice job by Full Circle! Tomorrow I will put an exhaust back on for Jeeps on the beach and will fab up a fishing rod mount. By the way with 20# in the IROKs the jeep scrapes going in and out of the garage without the top on. Its so close it rolls the roll bar padding on the center bar. Guess bigger tires are going to be a problem. Time to move to a house with a bigger garage.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:22 am

or get winches front and rear to lower the jeep. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 9:27 am

Funny you mention that. I ordered a BullyDog 3k winch from Randy on Friday to install in the front. I am going to stretch the rear and then consider whether to install one in the rear or not. I can lower the front by 1" by adjusting the coilovers so that is some improvement. the rear shocks need relocated when I stretch the rear back 5-6" and the rear sets up 1" higher that the front anyway so I will fix that and lower the rear 2" to make up for that by relocating the rear coilovers. Axle winch may allow me to get into the garage a little easier too. Its not often I have the Iroks inflated to 20# so with regular 8# air pressure it is not an issue with the top off. I need to bleed the clutch and rear brakes but otherwise I'm ready for Jeeps on the Beach! The stretch and tuck is planned before Big Dogs in Sept.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 11:05 am

I need to get my front track bar fixed and my rear driveshaft rebuilt and I'm ready to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to shave my rear and   Time to shave my rear and Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time to shave my rear and
Page 1 of 1