Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

blew up the 4 banger

Go down 
+3
Rockn93YJ
The Devil Dog
killerisdead
7 posters
AuthorMessage
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-04-30

blew up the 4 banger Empty
PostSubject: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 1:54 am

so i blew up the 4 banger last night driven on the street.......what a disapointment.anyways by blown up i mean pieces of it every where oil pan looks like some one took a chain saw to it pistin in my hand blown up.....so what should i do? upgrade or replace if so with what? ive heard of people putin 350s in these things just wondering what you guys think i should do.it was gettin to be to slow anyways so im thinkin upgrade time let me know..............cameron
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 2:28 am

It was inedible that the engine will blow up, after getting water in the chamber it's almost guaranteed. The same happen to me when I got water on my 4.0L, only I was on the 695 getting ready to enter into 95 South.

I guess it's time for a 350 engine and double twin pipes out the side with Dana 44's and 4:88 gears. Are you ready for that?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 10:34 am

I've been there as well. my 93 with the stock I6 took on water with 95k on the motor. water doesn't compress so when the piston is driving up and water is in the chamber somethings got to give. usually it is a piston rod. My first piston rod was tweaked from the drink of water and ran rough for awhile. Then one day I gave it some gas and the rod failed and proceded to punch a hole in the block, rip the oil pan in half and break the camshaft. I upgraded to a 4.7 stroker which is an easy swap since it is the same block. For you, upgrading to a 6cyl is a serious pain in the @ss and not worth the trouble. It would probably be easier to upgrade to a 350. What I would do is consider what you ultimately want to do with the jeep. If you are happy iwth the way it rides on the trial with your current tire size and gears etc then just replace the 4 cyl and save your money. If money is no object and you want more power then go with a V8 and you will not be disappointed. If I were to do it again I would have a V8.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 11:35 am

Small block swaps are sweet. Very cool to see jeeps with LT1 and LS1 swaps. The down side is be ready to spend some serious cash. That and if your jeep is a daily driver your going to have lots of making it street legal. Bill is right about the 4.0 swap its a pain in the ass. It can be done if you find a wrecked YJ with a good motor and trans cause the AX-5 trans you have doesn't work with the 4.0 from what I have heard. The 2.4 jeep motors are cheap to find and get installed. Personally I would fix it and wheel it as is. If its slow you can swap 4:88 gears and that will help with tires up to 33's. If you want to go bigger your going to need to swap in Dana 44's and higher gears. I know guys that wheel four bangers and enjoy them but they keep their jeeps light. they stay away from heavy bumpers and oversized winches and excess weight. They make great buggy/jeeps cause the motor is light wieght and has torque.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 11:51 am

Damn dude - that sucks. I knew Mark shouldnt have talked you into it.
Back to top Go down
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male

PostSubject: blown up   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 6:28 pm

yeah so it turns out i know a guy who buys cherekees and cuts them up for parts have you ever heard off anyone swapin the engine/trans from one of thouse into a yj if so let me know.......cameron
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 8:46 pm

the motors is the same if you get one from a 91 or newer I think. that and AX-15's(stock 4 liter trans) are cheap and easy to find. Wiring I imagine would still be a pain in the butt. You would still need motor mounts. I do think that some or all cherokees came with TF-999 auto trans and thats a nice auto for a jeep. It could work just remember any motor swap you do is going to take more time and money unless your friend is hooking you up with free motor and trans.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2007 6:16 pm

Cameron, Came across this on craigs list might be worth looking at
take two and build one cheers

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/car/345356226.html
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 10:16 am

Hell if I had a places to stash all that jeep junk I would buy it and build trail beater. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male

PostSubject: dead   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 5:23 pm

yeah me to man but i live on my boat in a marina. dont have a yard but on the plus side acess to lots of tools and a craine. plus people who have spent their live workin on engines in tight places .so the the jeep on flat ground with lots of room should be a breeze.and i try to stay clear of any thing with a carborator.so that leaves me with 93 thru 95.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2007 5:50 pm

'91 on should be fuel injected if that helps any
Back to top Go down
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male

PostSubject: blown up   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 12:16 pm

alright heres the deal it looks like im goin to put another 4 in which sucks but it seem like the easiest and cheapest way to go.but that suck alredy had a 4 banger with 100000 now it looks like im going to have a even worse off engine.well one with out holes in it at least. im startin to wish i had just kept my bronco.all i know is the jeep better like what im doin for it in the last week ive seen many in the junk yard with the same blown engine .seems like a common thing. so no upgrade.... seems kind of worth less to me ..................cameron
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 4:30 pm

Okay First thing dude dont get down look at this as a steping block. When it comes to wheeling we all often learn our lessons the hard way. Its just like life.

Second treat the stock motor swap as a buffer. A way to make time so you can learn. You can wheel it as is and once you change the gears the jeep it will run on the street better and wheel great on those 33's. This will also alow you to figure out what you want to do. There are alots of guys out there that like there four cylinder YJ's and TJ's. So if in the long run its not what you want or not what works for the next step you can Clean it up and sell it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: blew up the 4 banger   blew up the 4 banger Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

blew up the 4 banger
Page 1 of 1