Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th

Go down 
+9
rockdw72
Jessica
4jeepnuts
Rockn93YJ
The Devil Dog
Chris Taylor
Allium
mdcj7
makitupthehardway
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Empty
PostSubject: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 11:26 pm

Okay so I know this is a ways off but talking to a couple of the members last fall I thought that a fall cruise would be cool. This would be a meet-up event for those of us with street legal street friendly rigs. All are welcome but to make this more fun I thought we could get together and take out the Jeeps. Here is my idea/plan. we all meet in Front Royal, VA between 10-11. We all eat lunch and head out to drive skyline drive. Normally when you take your time and stop and the over looks and enjoy the views it takes 2-3 hours to cruise the main part which lets you off on route 211 which then can take you back down the mountain to 29 or back to 81. depending on what the mass of the group would like to do there is another hour or so of driving to return back to Front Royal or to 29 where most could make there ways home and maybe even stop in for dinner. This is just a idea at the moment so anyone that has made this drive and have had places that they have stopped that they liked or would like to add in some light hiking ( there are some great trails) I'm game to do so as well. Since its only August and the leaves don't start changing till late September or October this is a couple of months away. This would be a great way for the not so trail oriented members to meet many of us hardcore wheelers and for the club to have a meet and greet on a stock street level. This post is open to all ideas, tips and questions. other ideas I have had are club picnic and maybe a small cook out at one of the many camp sites up there. Also making this a two day event and camping in a large group before it gets to cold. So let me know what do you guys and girls think?

OCTOBER 13 AND 14TH WIN!

Last edited by on Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 5:11 am

Sounds like a good trip. I could even bring my truck. Because who knows when I will get the jeep done. Is there any good camp grounds around that area?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 8:21 am

Yeah its a state park so they have camp sites for tents and campers with power. they have bathrooms at most of the camp areas as well.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 9:15 am

good family outing
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 9:42 am

The other club I am in is doing that this weekend... I am missing it for other reason so I would be all for it.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 10:17 am

If we time this right its perfect top down hoody weather. 8
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 11:02 am

It might take some coordination, I assume they have picnic grill facilities to rent, what do people think about doing a potluck picnic type thing?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 11:37 am

That would work. I will be heading out that way sometime before we do this. Keep the ideas coming what ever the mass of the group wants to do is fine with me.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 11:52 am

Excellent suggestion Erick, I am all for it. The Skyline is a very nice drive and I am sure the other members that fear the trails would just love to meet all of us RoughRiders and have a camping experience with all the trimmings.
Sign me UP! Let me know how I can assist your efforts. rabbit

Last edited by on Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 11:57 am

I'm all for the trip and depending on the date will be attending with the family. Could do camping as well. not to keen on the idea of carrying around food in a hot vehicle all day to share at a pot luck. we could stop at a local grocery for food with contributions from all and cook/prepare it as a group. it would seem that time frame would be quite popular, would we need to reserve a campsite/group area?
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 12:03 pm

Oh, I like that thought even better, buy locally save space and I would be more than happy toput my cooking skills to work, Mmmshlip! I'm hungry already!

This posting is moving on. let's put a blip on the meet up to to redirect them here.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 12:04 pm

I will look in to it and see what we need to do. I'm good for any weekend. you guys can pick the date. Tico I will let you know what the group can do to help out. oh yeah I spell its ERICK not Eric. This should be fun.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Got ya! OK.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 6:36 pm

Yeah well at thiat time of the year the cars dont get like ovens and most of us have coolers since a good many of us dont have the back seat in all the time. But for those that would like to buy local there is a couple of stores in Front Royal where you enter skyline drive. So I guess what I need to figure out is how many want to camp and how many would like to just have a cruise and cookout.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 6:38 pm

This is a open invite for all. I will leave it up to Tico to send out a email for those that are not on the forum often.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 10:15 pm

either way for me. if camping i have to find a way to bring a lot more crap though.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: On behalf of Greg Knoll   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 1:51 pm

Saw your stuff on the page, but am not supposed to post to groups from work... I have some things though - There are 3 campgrounds in the park, or we might be able to coordinate with the NPS for backwoods permits and access to the fire roads which would result in free camping in the wilderness.

A good middle point for the day is hawksbill - just south of the 212 crossover, it is the highest point on the drive, and last year was host to t mated pairs of peregrine falcons. it is a .25 mile hike to the summit from the road. Also at the same point is the entrance to white oak canyon, the cedar ridge trail, and the weakly hollow fire road (many pools for swimming, nice 4 hour round trip hike. About 2 miles further south is big meadows campground. A great place to camp overnight. We should check for campsite availability when you get to the park. Also note, it is $7 of a week pass at the park entrance, or $30 for an annual pass that gets you in all year. Also, there is a camp store and other facilities near big meadows, and also a nice short drive down the west side of into the Shenandoah river valley. Along the pass on the way down there is a motel (creek side inn if memory serves) that has reasonable rates for those that would be interested in staying the night but not camping outside.

The whole drive parallels the Appalachian Trail but the most interesting hikes are invariably up and down the mountains instead of along the ridge as the AT tends to do.

For those interested in an overnight, old rag mountain is just south east of the 212 crossover, and is rated as one of the top hikes in the Eastern USA. It is a 7 hour hike though and goes through a cave, breaks tree line and tops our with a rock scramble to some giant boulders then winds down the weakly hollow fire road back to the car. One more note - not recommended during fall season - leaf viewers will make the drive into a huge traffic jam.
Back to top Go down
4jeepnuts
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
4jeepnuts

Male
Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 2:18 pm

I've been following this thread closely because I've allways wanted to cruise skyline drive, I've seen pictures and read stories but since most of my travels around the USA has been in a semi there are some roads you just aren't allowed on, Skyline being one of them.

Sept is bad for me I have 2 weddings, a run with another club, Big Dogs has there Main Jambo and there was some talk about making a trek to Tellico in Tenn.

October before the leaf watchers parade through there and before it gets cold. When it gets cold I get busier, but if things work out I'll be on my schedule,.

I hope we can plan this out, I like the idea of a picnic and seeing as many members attend as possible. I'm thinking something like:

THE 1st ANNUAL MARYLAND ROCK RAIDERS SKYLINE PICNIC !!

Just my thoughts,
Scott
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 2:52 pm

What an awesome idea.
We'd love to come as a family and can camp.
Just depends on the weekend.
I think we have something for labor day - too early anyway and weekend of October 12.
Thanks.
-Jessie sdsfhhgdigdhfo
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 2:58 pm

Tico
is there a poling function with the board? maybe create a poll listing the weekends in sept and october and have everyone pick what they would be availible - hopefully theres a function to allow multiple answers per person. run it for a week and it will practically set the date for us - or at least show which is best for most.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2007 4:01 pm

1st weekend in Oct (oct 6-7) is the KGB benefit Krawlin for Kids. I will be attending that. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weekend in october is open.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 12:29 am

hey bill i'm going to wait to put in my vote i need to figure out a couple of things. There is no rush people we have time to figure it out. Thanks for the input greg.
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2007 1:39 am

There is a poll now listed at the biggining of this thread, please us it, so that we can decide the best course of action. We know we wont please everyone but we put it to a vote, so majority rules. You have a voice, say your piece!
Back to top Go down
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 2:03 am

OK,let's get this subject moving again or something. We need a date for this activity, that means we need more input....
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm up for whatever the mass wants to do. everyone else can vote. Since this is going to be a simple ride I would say we have a late start between 10-11am that way we can have lunch while up in the mountains. I plan on stoping at subway and getting drinks and subs. The road will be crowded if we go in peak times but some time in late september should be fun and still warm. With the shortage in rain some of the trees are already changing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th   Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyline cruise October 13th and 14th
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next