Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Suspension redesign etc

Go down 
+5
rockdw72
makitupthehardway
Allium
The Devil Dog
Rockn93YJ
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 10:26 pm

1.25 x .120 with 1.00" x .250 inside would be beefier than what I have now. thanks
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 11:38 pm

I wanted a beefier drag link becasue of going with a hydraulic assist cyllindar but couldnt' go larger diameter or the drag link would contact the pitman arm due to the high steer setup so they opted to sure it up from the inside. I'm not sure what they did as far as welding, didn't look at it.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 7:28 pm

Finished trimming the fenders for the third time, figured its better to take an inch off at a time rather than a big cut and not be able to put it back on if it was too big. Picture below is the final cut. I zip tied the fender flares on and cut at the corner so I can lift it up and zip tie it on for now. the tube fenders will follow a similar design so I will use this as a template after big dogs.
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7cd5fb8
at full flex there is 1/4" of clearance with a full tank of gas.
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7cd5fb7
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7cd5fb9
Ready for Big Dogs!
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 12:12 pm

Looks good and the 97" wheel base should help with the hills. Did you get the wench on in the rear or the front?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 5:11 pm

I put it in place today and it will require some fender mods, custom bracket making etc so it didn't get done. Started building skid plates out of the 3/8" steel plate I have but It was too big, cause me to loose clearance and would look ridiculous. Gotta come up with a different plan.
I did work on the tube fenders today. built a flange to mount them to and will bolt them on and perhaps later if I really like them tie it into the frame.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 5:32 pm

Tube fenders started. I decided to build a "flange" like on a header to weld the tubing to and bolt the tube fenders to the vehicle. Later I can weld it on and tie it into the frame if I like them.
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7cbd72b
Tubing was bent to match my dimentions. I wanted a 7" flare so I wont get pulled over if I drive it on the road in Maryland.
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7cbd72e
The kids use the fender flares as a step so I had to build it strong enough to support them climbing into the vehicle. I welded in some supports for the sheet metal.
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7cbd717
First one was complete and attached to the fender with a c clamp. I allowed a little slope away from the body on top.
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7cbd72a
Side view shows how I had to taper the tubing to the edge of the flange to allow a finished look when the sheet metal is attached.
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7cbd72c
Now out of time, (Cowboys play this evening), and out of metal I need to delay completion until after Big Dogs. Need to buy some thick sheet metal and some more 3/16" x3" metal for the other flange.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 8:15 pm

I like the tube fenders 9 are you makingthem for the front also
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 8:25 pm

its not on my list this year but eventually It will happen. I'm had enough projects this year and now I'm ready to wheel.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 10:18 pm

I call dibs on the second set. I like what your doing its looking good. You work really fast
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 pm

started the 2nd flare yesterday. the flange is ready and now just need to try to reproduce the same bends in the tubing I did on the other side. I did leave room for more trimming if needed. going to 37" tires will be no problem. the IROKs I have now are bias 36x12.5x17 and measure 36.4" in diameter.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 9:03 am

Sheet metal is on, welded, sanded and ready for paint. I painted one yesterday and looks okay. Only thing left is to paint the other one, drill mounting holes and put them on. Discovered that flux cored welding wire doesn't do well with 22 guage sheet metal. probably should have used 16 guage sheet metal or bought some welding gas. The welding gas uses thinner welding wire and the settings can go lower for a nice clean weld. These turned out heavier than I wanted. If done again I would use
1/16 thick 1 1/4" DOM tubing, 16 guage sheet metal, and 1/8" steel for the flange. I did grind down the welds for a more finished look but now it looks like there are small pits at the seam because my welding of thin metal sucks. Pics to come after they are mounted.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 10:16 am

Its DONE!
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7ab2119
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7ab211c
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7ab2121
Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 E7ab2122
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 11:10 am

Bill - That looks Sweet!

Nice Job:yj:
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 7:31 pm

lk
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 10:16 pm

looks really good. what do those tires measure out to? I like the fenders.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:08 am

I didn't measure but they must be close to 37" because they are taller than the IROKs which are 36.4".
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 11:22 am

Yeah looks really good. Nice fab work on the fenders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suspension redesign etc   Suspension redesign etc - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suspension redesign etc
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3