Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Modifying Stock Control Arms

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Modifying Stock Control Arms Empty
PostSubject: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:49 pm

Alright... so everyone knows I have a tendency to "Drive it like I stole it".

I just bent my second set of control arms on the front axle. This time I did not bend the mounts (Rusty's was right... 1/4" thick steel brackets ROCK!!!). One day I will learn if I attempt to climb a fallen tree taller than 1/2 the tire, followed by rocks above my bumper, I may have made a wrong turn.... asdasfferrgf

I landed down on a rock and shifted passenger (see also my Oil Pan Post)... dead center on the side of the driver arm... recovery off almost flopped me onto my passenger side... due to my quick reaction (along with my diet not working to well king ) my extra girth leaning out and grabbing the rocker was enough counter weight to keep it shiny side down.

Anyway... I have another set to put on... quick fix... but I had a thought during the drive home... (and no it was not "I shouldn't have done that jocolor")

Since the stock ones are just an open channel... would it help to get a piece of 1/4" plate steel and weld it across the arm to box it... this might help to stop it from crushing in on itself.

The obvious answer is to upgrade, but at this stage of the build I am not sure which way I am going (high clearance fenders with upgrade arms or lift, and if lift then long or short arm).

I do not want to throw money into heavy duty arms if I can't use them on my future plans...

Just round tabling my thought process to all those who have "been there, done that".

Tony
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 pm

Could go WV style and keep welding metal on it until it is strong enough. My preference would be to buy some 1/4 DOM tubing, threaded inserts and build new ones. not that expensive.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 7:03 pm

yeah or before you install the spair set of arms get them welded up for strength so you can make time to figure what your going to do in the near future.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 10:11 pm

bill has a point, you can make your own arms pretty cheap. I have the drill press and stuff if you want to go that route.
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297

PostSubject: Re: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 12:29 pm

hmmm... where can i get DOM from... been meaning to ask for awhile where there are metal shops in this area...
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Ask Bill he just ordered some for his shock mount hoops.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 6:15 pm

You can order it online for just slightly more than "locally" and pay more for shipping or you can travel to a shop that sells it and pay more for the tubing. Best place is Dillsburg aeroplane works near carlisle if you want a good price but they sell in bulk so you need to buy a long piece to get what you want. If buying a small about like for a control arm you can order by the foot from Polyperformance.com in any size you want and have it in a week. I've ordered from poison spyder before for tubing and parts but they take too long. There is Clark welding supply in Frederick MD but their tubing is very expensive and I found it cheaper to buy online and have it shipped to me.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 pm

metal express on rt 40
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modifying Stock Control Arms   Modifying Stock Control Arms Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modifying Stock Control Arms
Page 1 of 1