Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future

Go down 
+2
Grason
makitupthehardway
6 posters
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Empty
PostSubject: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 9:06 am

So yesterday I was cleaning out the trash pit I call my garage. I stop for a moment and saw that the jeep had rolled back about 2 feet from where I parked in the night before. scratch I thought that maybe someone had moved it so I went for the keys and they where in the Van (only set of keys) so that means no one moved the jeep. So I went to check to see if it was not in gear since the E-brake doesn't work so well. It was in gear and the brake was off. When I jumped in the jeep it did it again. Moved back maybe 3-4 inches. I got out and pushed on the rear tire and come to find out that I can push the jeep back while its in gear. So my concern is what is to come from this? What can I do to fix this? Why is this happening? The only thing I can think of is the clutch is starting to go after a little more than 1 year of it in the jeep. How I have no clue scratch Maybe it could be there something wrong with the clutch maybe not releasing the presure plate. I haven't looked in to it at all. But when I when to pull it in the garage it drove fine and I wheeled it this weekend with no issues. For those that dont know my rig is a 94 YJ with a AX-15. If anyone has any clue what the issue is before I start pulling stuff apart. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 11:17 am

could be a clutch problem or you could be loosing compression.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 11:29 am

My rig does this too. Jason tells me it's from losing compression. Mine has been doing it for about 2+ years. It's just another one of those things that I learned to accept. However, I NEVER leave my Jeep unattended without some sort of ebrake (big curb in front of my house, trees on the trail, etc.) because that combined with no ebrake was a recipe for disaster.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 11:49 am

you could do a compression test or even a leakdown test to figure that out. I remember reading something about testing the compression and then putting a few drops of oil in the cyllendar and testing again to see if the rings seal (with the oil). leakdown test I've never done but I've had it done to see if the rings are bad.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 11:59 am

I guess I always just assumed my rings were bad which seems like a given on the 4.0. Mine is coming closer to it's rebuild date or i'm gonna have to be tailgunner from now on so people can see the trail.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 1:24 pm

leak down is more of a pain in the ass but will give you more info as to where the compression is being lost.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 6:14 pm

Well sounds like I have some home work to do. I guess its a good thing I'm not trying to street drive the jeep alot anymore and that I tow it long distances to save the life of the motor.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 6:29 pm

If you are bringing your jeep on the 10th I can bring a compression tester. or even a leak down tester but you would need a good air source
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 9:54 pm

Nester I'm just curious if it does it in 4wd as well. I had problems with my tcase 231 after flat towing it just before it went kboom.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 10:41 pm

Well just let everyone know I undo the driveshaft when the jeep is in tow so it wouldn't be anything to do with the towing. I haven't tested to see if it does it in 4wd or if it does it in reverse. I have two leads on the problem at the moment. 1st compression ? 2nd is to see if the clutch is slipping at all. well three to see if putting it in 4wd changes anything. talking to rich he thinks that it could be a clutch issue as well. The thing with the jeep is it doesn;t burn, leak or smoke.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 10:53 pm

clutch is the cheaper problem but once the clutch is engaged how would just the weight of the vehicle force the vehicle to move and its not slipping under torque of the motor?

I hope its the clutch and not the motor but I am not comprehending how a clutch could slip without torque.

School me if I am not seeing something..
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 11:50 pm

you could watch and see if the engine is turning over while you push it
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 1:16 am

I like the clutch issue better as well. Here is why - a technical relationship would be good here but I'm just spitting some observations with mine.

First off - Just rebuilt the transmission and the clutch (centerforce) looked great and was removed and checked.

I am having a progressivley worse problem with putting the Jeep back into gear once stopped. This would be from the clutch not releasing? Can this be related to the roll (like nesters) I've been experiencing for so long. I had this problem before the transmission was rebuilt so I assumed it was just apart of the hellish case of gears that were left making up my trans and counted on it going away after the rebuild. This wasn't the case and like I said it is getting worse.

This isn't to throw us off topic here, however, I'm just wondering if there is any relation or overlapping symptoms.

My original thoughts with the roll were the gears in the 8.8, slop in the driveshaft on either end and other drivetrain posisbilities, but in the end Jason was banking on losing compression.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future   Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something I noticed that could be a issue in the near future
Page 1 of 1