Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS

Go down 
+2
mdcj7
jd92yj
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jd92yj
Open/Open
Open/Open

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-03-02

HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Empty
PostSubject: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:41 pm

hi my everyday driver a 92 yj 4.0 5speed conked out on me last night i belive it was the starter so i replaced it in the liquor store parking lot i turned the key it started but it was vibrating badly it was in neutral but i put my foot on the the clutch then let off and it stopped then i went for a testdrive and it shut off and the new starter is just spinning on the face of the flywheel i took it back off and bench tested it and the bendix comes all the way out . what is wrong with my jeep????
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 8:52 pm

pull your inspection plate and look if anything is in the bottom of the bell housing. Check you ring gear on the flywheel. With it off put it in gear and see if you can push the jeep then put in the clutch and pust the jeep this will tell you if the clutch plate is still in one piece.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Josh
did some reading on 4.0 starters they bolt on diferent than the 4.2 starters. I think they have shims to align the starter to the ring gear. did you loose the shim in the parking lot? Someone that have done a 4.0 starter am I off base or is there shims for the starters.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 9:22 pm

I don't remember any shims on my 93 4.0 starter.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 pm

No shims on a 4.0 starter. I have pulled mine a time or two. I cant figure what would cause the bad vibes or would let the starter turn but not turn the motor over unless you have a bad starter or the ring on your fly wheel has come lose or lost some teeth. If pushing the clutch in got rid of the vibes at first I would say that you might have a issue with the friction plate that when you presure plate pushed in it made it stop. I would pull the starter and check the teeth on the area where the starter contacts the fly wheel and see what they look like. just my .02 cents not sure if its much help.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 12:53 am

jd92yj wrote:
hi my everyday driver a 92 yj 4.0 5speed conked out on me last night i belive it was the starter so i replaced it in the liquor store parking lot i turned the key it started but it was vibrating badly it was in neutral but i put my foot on the the clutch then let off and it stopped then i went for a testdrive and it shut off and the new starter is just spinning on the face of the flywheel i took it back off and bench tested it and the bendix comes all the way out . what is wrong with my jeep????

Define the "conked out" that made you decide to replace the starter. maybe it wasn't the starter?
Back to top Go down
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:02 am

A starter with the bendix retracted cant make your engine stall. The grinding noise from the starter is usually rounded off teeth on the ring gear. That however will not give you a vibration. A busted partly missing ring gear will cause vibration so I recomend listen ing to mdcj7. If you do not find pieces in there you might have bigger worries. I have seen the front bearings on a few jeep transmission wear out and tear up the case enough to alow the main shaft to flop around. This wears out the pilot bushing/bearing in the crank. Nothing lines up correctly inside at that point. Fly wheel will be slightly crooked causing starter mis alignment, shaft off center will cause a vibration, gears out of alignment will cause stalling even in neutral with clucth in or out. First thing pull insp. plate and let us know what you find.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/DLLME
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:06 am

Just another thought or two. The hydraulics (master/slave) wont cause this trouble, shims wont cause the vibration or stalling, crank sensor in bell housing wont do it either.
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 10:54 am

Well it looks like we found part of the problem last night. The bolts holding the bellhousing to the motor were missing. I'm not sure how may it should have, looks like only 4, but if so 3 out of the 4 are missing. We are picking up new bolts today. There does not appear to be any damage to the flywheel ring gear.

Mark
Back to top Go down
Twisted Willys
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Twisted Willys

Male

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitimeTue Mar 04, 2008 11:02 am

Ok, that'll do it! Ya might want to use a little blue loc-tite on them.
Pain in the a#$ I guess but thats a pretty cheap fix at least.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS   HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HELP ME; 92 WRANGLER PROBLEMS
Page 1 of 1