Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Steering problems

Go down 
+3
rockdw72
MonsterS10
mdcj7
7 posters
AuthorMessage
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:50 am

I'm posting this for Mark CamoK5 can you guys help him out.

Ok, quick rundown I have a K5 with a D60 with a Spartan locker and crossover steering. I just installed a new ps pump, 2wd box, hydro assist ram, I bleed the system per Howes directions. All is good with just one tire or when both front tires are off the ground , no foaming and quiet. When I put the truck on the ground I have no steering it acts if the system is fighting itself. With or without the ram connected and if I shut the truck off sitting in my gravel driveway I'm still unable to steer it. With the crossover steering do I need a dropped drag link? I have a drop pitman arm but the drag link is not straight, it runs at an angle from the box to pass side. I'm only running 37x12.50's with 4" springs and zero rates. I'm totally lost I have been fighting this for a year and just started from square one with all new parts.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 am

Not knowing the vehicle i would start with disconnecting the draglink to see if the wheels turn without the box connected. To see if the king pins are bound. if not check the box if the worn came out when installing the cap on the end of the box it won't turn correctly there is a pile of ball bearings on the worn gear.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:30 pm

The drag link on the angle isn't the problem. Only reason that should be straight is for bump steer. I am with Chris check king pin with weight on them they may be binding
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 7:00 pm

No luck all appears to be free, sitting on the ground disconnected from the steering I can turn the tires by hand but it takes a good bit of effort.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 7:21 pm

air in the ram?
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 11:02 pm

Well it looks like it may be fixed. I had drilled the orfice valve per West Texas, it was suggested I go back to the stock valve. I just replaced it and everything appears to work. I'll drive it around tomorrow to see how it works. Just fyi to get all the air out I used a hand vacuum pump. Thank for the input, I'll post up tomorrow to update.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 am

why did they recommend drilling the hole?
Back to top Go down
88blazeron40s
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
88blazeron40s

Male
Number of posts : 280
Emploi : EDMS
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 am

im pretty sure they say that so you can flow alittle more fluid for the ram and i think it adds some pressure too
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 1:11 pm

88blazeron40s wrote:
im pretty sure they say that so you can flow alittle more fluid for the ram and i think it adds some pressure too

Correct West Texas claims drilling the valve out a 1/16 - 1/8 over stock provides more flow for the ram.
Back to top Go down
88blazeron40s
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
88blazeron40s

Male
Number of posts : 280
Emploi : EDMS
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 5:41 pm

i guess it didnt work to well for you
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 6:36 pm

Or it did cause he hasn't replied.
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Drilling out the orifice did not work, long story short my cooler was mounted to high. Once it sat for awhile the system would drain back and the cooler would get air bound. Big oversight on my part. Thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeWed Jan 19, 2011 11:45 pm

CamoK5 wrote:
Drilling out the orifice did not work, long story short my cooler was mounted to high. Once it sat for awhile the system would drain back and the cooler would get air bound. Big oversight on my part. Thanks for the input.

Well at least you have it working.
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am

Yea, I figured I must of had something wrong it couldn't be that hard. Now seeing its a diesel, now I have to see how bad the hydro-boost brakes are going to affect the system when I hook them back up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering problems Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering problems   Steering problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering problems
Page 1 of 1