Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

CJ7 steering shaft

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-01-22

CJ7 steering shaft Empty
PostSubject: CJ7 steering shaft   CJ7 steering shaft Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 3:24 pm

The steering in the CJ needs replaced...better to buy new or is a junk yard find ok? Also, the steering gear box is leaking...I want to replace it anyway with something that has better gearing for more response..how do I go about figuring out the gear ratio that would be best? I'm doing all the work myself and learning.

https://servimg.com/view/11235410/28
https://servimg.com/view/11235410/29
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

CJ7 steering shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: CJ7 steering shaft   CJ7 steering shaft Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 6:27 pm

Are you talking about the shaft that expands or the box itself? If its the shaft I got one from JcWhitney. Check them out on line. There were different options and I cant remember what the difference was. Its been a few years back.

As for the box, its probably like any other jeep. Unless you are going to a ram system its better off sticking with stock boxes.

When I had my cj it seemed like JcWhitney was the cheapest for stock parts and they were always reliable.
Back to top Go down
timberwolf
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
timberwolf

Male
Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-11-02

CJ7 steering shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: CJ7 steering shaft   CJ7 steering shaft Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 6:36 pm

fyi... theres a forum www.cjoffroad.com that is all cj owner related. ive been there many of times for most of my cj questions. it is also a good place for hard to find used parts. theres some pretty cool tech write ups also.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

CJ7 steering shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: CJ7 steering shaft   CJ7 steering shaft Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2007 10:18 pm

I would go with the Bid Daddy Stearing shaft
http://www.windrockoffroad.com/Catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=1034&idproduct=4179

As for stearing box I got mine at SALVOs alot cheeper than any mail order but was just a stock replacement.

look at the Big Daddy tie rod and drag link you will bend the stock one.

you might want to look at the HD stearing box bracket also.
I'm running the stock on mine but I have a stearing brace on my gear box.
Back to top Go down
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-01-22

CJ7 steering shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: CJ7 steering shaft   CJ7 steering shaft Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 11:08 am

Whoa so many choices out there scratch ...man what's the difference between a "lower steering shaft" and "steering shaft"...anyway, pricing around and as long as the shaft is telescoping to adjust to the lift I'll be good. I'm going to get the steering box at the same time and replace all at once. Guess new hoses would be good too. Hey Paul, the tie rod and steering box bracket were already replaced...this guy put a little money into it...here's a partial list:

upgraded:
steering damper
steering box brace
tie rod
shocks
shackles
extended SS brake lines
4.56 gears (replaced all the bearings and seals when i did that)
locker in rear is a "detroit locker" not the E-Z locker, that's the real deal.
one piece axles in the rear (superior brand)
weber carb (sized for the stock engine) WEBER 32/36
battery
dropped pitman arm

replaced (with high quality aftermarket when available)
drive shaft u-joints
front axle u-joints
front ball joints
tie rod ends
wheel bearings
all brake components at the wheels except the calipers
shackle bushings and bump stops
replaced all of the brake lines in the rear
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

CJ7 steering shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: CJ7 steering shaft   CJ7 steering shaft Icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2007 7:07 pm

chics4jeeps wrote:
Whoa so many choices out there scratch ...man what's the difference between a "lower steering shaft" and "steering shaft"...anyway, pricing around and as long as the shaft is telescoping to adjust to the lift I'll be good.

I have never heard of the "lower Stering shaft" Just a replacement Steering shaft. You should not need a telescoping shaft. That is for body lifts. If your lift is all supenions there is no change in the distance from firewall to gear box.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CJ7 steering shaft Empty
PostSubject: Re: CJ7 steering shaft   CJ7 steering shaft Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CJ7 steering shaft
Page 1 of 1