Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

tilt steering

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
waldo27
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-08-03

tilt steering Empty
PostSubject: tilt steering   tilt steering Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:56 am

does anyone know how to get the tilt steering to stop unlocking while wheeling it was such a pain (03 ruby if it makes a difference)
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

tilt steering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tilt steering   tilt steering Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 10:21 am

ITs called stop running into the stumps while climbing hills.. The tj didnt have a problem.. must be just in a rubi.... jocolor

you need to drive it like you stole it and everything works great.. rabbit
Back to top Go down
waldo27
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male

tilt steering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tilt steering   tilt steering Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 11:40 am

it started doing it before the stump and was worse on sunday
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

tilt steering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tilt steering   tilt steering Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 12:12 pm

I get that in my 04 once in a while. what i finally noticed is that on the hard bumps Im gripping the wheel tight and pulling it down. almost works the lever loose. I just tap it once in a while with my knee back up.

I think its a friction lock so if you are bouncing and moving the wheel with you it works loose. maybe Duct it up?
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

tilt steering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tilt steering   tilt steering Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 11:51 pm

OK did some searching and this is what I found

"Ask the Jeep Creep

Hello,

Hope you can help, at least save me some money.

I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee, 4WD, 4.0L, standard, I love it. Have only had it about a year and have had to find out a few things online to fix. Anyway, of late, my steering wheel has become quite wobbly at the tilt. Someone has told me this is fairly common with Jeeps. I have had the wheel apart(not me), and it is not the three screws, they were tight. Can you tell me what I should tell the garage what and where to look to fix this so I am not paying them $65.00 an hour to find out 'what' the problem is? Do I need to get dealer parts to get this fixed? I would do it myself but it looks way too confusing for me.

Thanks for any help you can offer, it is making me nervous to drive it like this and winter is coming and I am out there alot so would like to feel safe.

Lynn

A northern Jeep lover

Lynn, the tilt yoke on a Jeep?s pretty easy to fix. It may not need parts. In fact for a few bucks worth of tools and a little time you should be able to do the job yourself.

The tilt yoke is held together with four torx head bolts. These bolts come loose over time. Most people use the steering wheel to steady themselves when entering a Jeep. This loosens the bolts. The result is a floppy steering wheel. It can be scary to drive this way, and should be fixed. The column is very similar to a GM column, so may I suggest reading Ray's semi-posterior method for fixing a loose tilt column? It is found at:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

Read it through and you?ll see this project is something you can do yourself. If you feel you cannot accomplish the task, print out the information. Show it to the garage and ask how much to tighten that yoke! It was one of the first repairs I ever made to my Jeep. It took me about 4 hours on a Saturday. It would have been less, but then I didn?t have this site as a reference at the time."

Might help a bit. I know 200 lbs holding tight isnt good for it as I bounce on the trail.
Back to top Go down
waldo27
LS/Locker
LS/Locker

Male

tilt steering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tilt steering   tilt steering Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2007 1:14 am

i dont think its the yoke cause the lock it's self was coming lose and i need to stop useing the wheel to climb in and out of my jeep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

tilt steering Empty
PostSubject: Re: tilt steering   tilt steering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

tilt steering
Page 1 of 1