Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

PSC steering box

Go down 
+3
Rockn93YJ
makitupthehardway
UPNOVER
7 posters
AuthorMessage
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 1:58 am

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=137_54_58&products_id=88

I really want to upgrade my steering to a full hydraulic unit but I really dont want to take the time and cant afford all the money right now..

Do you think its worth spending the extra money to run one of these PSC extreme units or go back to a stock unit.. Mine is leaking..
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 8:42 am

I would go on the Pirate for that one. I haven't even begun to even think about my steering setup. I would like to upgade it in the next year to come so whatever you do keep us updated.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:12 am

judgement call. stock boxes will wear out but are cheaper. I prefer to upgrade everything that breaks so I don't have to mess with it ever again.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:19 am

Mine has been leaking for about 5 years. but after a hard day of wheeling a momth ago I noticed the bottom bearing has a lot of play. So the plan is to rebuild it. I got the rebuild kit for 40 bucks. I hear it is a rear big pain in the ass to rebuld but I am going to do it anyway, also going to drill and tap for assist while its apart. Is there any reason why you want to go full hydro over assist. If you set on going full hydro I would use the box you have now. honestly I dont know of a jeep steering box that doesn't leak.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:36 pm

To be honest I am not really sure what I want to do..I do want to try and get 37's on the xj so I thought it would be best to have the full hydro unit with that size tire. On the buggy I had full and it was very nice...But then again i will be driving the xj on the street from time to time.. The stock unit functioned fine with the 35's but then again i havent had it on any serious rock yet...

I was looking at the psc unit because its a simple bolt on..

checking pirate is the problem.. I keep coming up with ideas after visiting pirate.. I need to ban myself from pirate.. but then again you guys dont help either..

I got the air hose set up this week so i can utilize the 1hp compressor and then i started picking out new air tools and kept going and going..

but hey now we have a cp gun, air ratchet, air saw, new tree saver, snatch block.... there's never enough tools on the trail.....
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:39 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
judgement call. stock boxes will wear out but are cheaper. I prefer to upgrade everything that breaks so I don't have to mess with it ever again.

Good point... i need to keep telling myself that theory every time i enter my debit card into another offroading vendor's website....Thanks...mbn

By the way i did see the pic's of the build up over at B4W's and nice work on the fab....
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 10:44 pm

If you are going to be on the street at all I would go with assist. and you won't have any touble turning 37s or even 42s. Now If you were planing on making the front track barless full hydro would be best. or if your going to stretch the front axle past the steering box full hydro might be a better option, but even then you can get a reverse rotation box and put the pitman arm forward.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 11:01 pm

if you want to upgrade and just don't want to think about hydro anything at this point. you could get a durango box, from a junk yard, much stronger then stock box, cheap, and just bolts on. I hear it will turn 37s pretty good
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 8:36 am

Just throw in my .02. I run the stock set up on mine with a new pump and it turns my new 36's fine. Though it did suck till i put that new pump on. So I would think assist would more then enough to handel the 37's your looking at getting. Also keep in mind if something happens on the trail and the motor goes out, with assist you can still turn the wheel.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: re   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 10:38 am

I going to check out the durango box. If that works then i can put the cash into the 37's project..

thanks for all the info.... appreciate it..
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 10:42 am

They list two different options for the durango. One for the snow plow option. Im guessing this is the stronger unit?

So this should bolt directly up to the cherokee?
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 11:25 am

I'm liking that Durango suggestion. This is the first place I've heard of it. I need to upgrade my steering box and a junkyard unit sounds a lot better than buying a psc or the equivalent. 9 I'd assume this would work for tj, xj, yj?
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Alright looks like i can get a new durango box for about 140 and MORE makes a brace for 63. So for alittle over 200 I can upgrade.

A few guys on pirate stated they were ripping the box off the frame after the upgrade..

I think its worth trying the durango box for 200 then jumping into the hydro. hydro would be nice but if i do that then i will end up spending alot more doing a full high end hydro set up.

I think the tech forums on offroading websites should be renamed to MONEY PITS..... study
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 1:05 pm

Can you post a link to the pirate thread on this?
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 1:36 pm

there was multiple.. I cant cut and paste at work but when i get home this afternoon i will post them..
Back to top Go down
Grason
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool

Male
Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm

if you want hydro assist go redneck ram, its cheap and affective. For full hydro you can use your stock pump and get your ram, orbital, and hoses. its a little harder to turn at idle but works good and saves you a couple hundred.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PSC steering box Empty
PostSubject: Re: PSC steering box   PSC steering box Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PSC steering box
Page 1 of 1