Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Oil gauge and/or lights problem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Oil gauge and/or lights problem Empty
PostSubject: Oil gauge and/or lights problem   Oil gauge and/or lights problem Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 12:35 pm

83 CJ7...I just changed the valve cover gasket on my 258. Now when I start it the oil pressure gauge jumps to 70-80, teeters there for a few seconds then just sits on 80. Revving it causes it to move slightly. :confused: Sending unit??? And where is it on this engine??

The second part to this and don't know if it's related is now when I turn on the lights all the gauges stop working....fuel & temp haven't worked but now the volt gauge goes all way left, oil goes all way right and tach (add on aftermarket) stops working. Turn signals cause volt gauge to move in time with the signal but this has been an ongoing thing. Turn the lights off and they start working, well except for the previously mentioned oil gauge issue.

These two issues started in tandem after changing the gasket. I am not good with the electical system but I do have a meter. It would not surprise me if I have a bad ground. I know the gasket has nothing to do with electical but maybe I moved some wires causing a ground? Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Oil gauge and/or lights problem   Oil gauge and/or lights problem Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 2:31 pm

Perhaps one of you CJ guys are familiar with this one? I seem to remember something about the harness where it goes into the firewall coming loose or something like that? Can't remember though.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Oil gauge and/or lights problem   Oil gauge and/or lights problem Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 pm

Well to start with the turn signal making the voltage gauge pulse is normal at lease mine has always did it. that how I know the tun singal is working. her is a link for trouble shooting gauges http://users.adelphia.net/~john.strenk/Gauge%20web%20page/basic_troubleshooting_for_cj_gau.htm

electric is like water it will flow through the easy path so if you have a high resistance on you feed to the gages it may work and when you turn on your lights that path is easy and the gauge path is harder so there is not enough to flow that way.

Hope this helps

here is a thread with your problem it look like it a ground problem

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897518&highlight=gauges
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil gauge and/or lights problem   Oil gauge and/or lights problem Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil gauge and/or lights problem
Page 1 of 1