Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

any ideas? Won't turnover

Go down 
+2
SPP YJ
06rubicon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-01-20

any ideas? Won't turnover Empty
PostSubject: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 8:30 pm

Looking for suggestions on a problem that started today....

Drove to work this morning and Jeep was fine, no issues. I leave to go home and it won't turnover. Sat for maybe 10 hours. Turn the key and all gauges and lights work. Thought well maybe he battery is a little low, let me try a jump first. No luck. Doesn't click when trying to start or anything. So I bump started it in reverse and it fired right up, idled fine so I drove home (6 miles). Pulled in the driveway, turned it off and restarted it 2 or 3 times with no problem. So I thought weird, I'll look into it this weekend. So I do a few things around the house and go back out an hour or so later and it won't start again.

I checked the battery and voltage is fine. I double check all the accesories to make sure there is no draw from anything, everything fine. I checked the starter fuses and relays, looked all good. I checked the clutch safty relay and it looks ok too, doesn't smell burnt or anything.

I've turned a wrench or two in my day but this has me a little stumped as to where to start. If it was a starter or clutch switch issue I would think it wouldn't have started when I got home. I know starters can get a dead spot but I've had no issues with it before and its on;y got 30K on it so I'm thinking it is unlikely that is the problem.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas before I start tearing into it.

Thanks
Ryan
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 8:48 pm

Could be loose or dirty battery cables sounds dumb but loose battery terms can do funny things
I would take off batt terms clean them and see how it works
the jeep will run fine off alternator when its running thats why im thinking batt terms
also if this is factory batt or wet cell and you wheel alot or recently they dont like the hard ride and lose cells some times
just some easy things i have seen happen even to new batts and cables
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks Chuck, I forgot to mention I checked all the cables. All are tight and corrosion free. I jumped the posts on the starter and it spins free and has constant power to it. It like it not engauging when I jump the posts but then again it doesn't spin when turning the key. now I'm more confused scratch
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 1:35 am

I had this happen at Pep Boys once... sitting in their parking lot...

All instrumentation was dead... popped jeep into neutral, rolled it back a bit, and it fired right up...

Never found a definite cause... just figured it to be one of those glitches from bouncing all around the trails...
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
chics4jeeps
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
chics4jeeps

Female
Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 3:04 pm

The clutch neutral safety switch has done this to me twice on different vehichles. They didn't have any visual signs of failure. Sometimes it would start and work for a while or it wouldn't but it was very sporadic. You could try bypassing it by cutting the wire and putting in a small jumper wire. Just remember it will start in gear after that.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 5:29 pm

chics4jeeps wrote:
The clutch neutral safety switch has done this to me twice on different vehichles. They didn't have any visual signs of failure. Sometimes it would start and work for a while or it wouldn't but it was very sporadic. You could try bypassing it by cutting the wire and putting in a small jumper wire. Just remember it will start in gear after that.

X2 on this

If it was the starter or relay for the starter you should heard a clicking noise and not turn over. Could be a flat spot on starter have someone hold the keep and tap the starter with a hammer if it starts this way you need a starter.
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 7:26 pm

tried the hammer trick yesterday with no luck. I'm thinking either the clutch switch ot the ignition switch. Home from work so I'm heading out to the garage. I'll let you know what I figure out.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 8:39 pm

06rubicon wrote:
Thanks Chuck, I forgot to mention I checked all the cables. All are tight and corrosion free. I jumped the posts on the starter and it spins free and has constant power to it. It like it not engauging when I jump the posts but then again it doesn't spin when turning the key. now I'm more confused scratch

What do you mean has constant power to it? If it does it again, put a volt meter on it and have someone turn the key. It should only get voltage when the solenoid is engaged.

If the power is coming to the starter when key is engaged its the starter. If not its a corroded wire, bad ground, or ignition switch problem.

Usually its corrosion somewhere.. I have seen cables corrode inside and you will never see it until you cut them in half..
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 11:00 pm

turned out to be the clutch saftey switch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any ideas? Won't turnover   any ideas? Won't turnover Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

any ideas? Won't turnover
Page 1 of 1