Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

rear full floating axle bolts coming loose

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

rear full floating axle bolts coming loose Empty
PostSubject: rear full floating axle bolts coming loose   rear full floating axle bolts coming loose Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 pm

OK the bolts holding my drivers side axle keep coming loose, and quickly too. I torqued them down with locktite and this past weekend ran just 8 laps or so and they were loose again. this is the 3rd time they came loose. Bent axle or something?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: rear full floating axle bolts coming loose   rear full floating axle bolts coming loose Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:13 pm

May have answered my own question.

Lock wire doesn't keep them tight, it keeps them from falling out. Do you want to get rid of the lock wire and reinstall it every time you want to check or tighten the bolts?

I realize the spools and lockers are putting more stress on the bolts, but I thinks its important to make sure the holes in the axle flange are not wallowed out, and that the bolts have a shoulder at the head and not just threads. You lose about .010" diameter with that size bolt. I think that's why the studs are more effective. There's a shoulder where they change from coarse to fine.

When it comes to nuts, grade 8 doesn't net you anything over grade 5 unless you are using their tensile, which you are not on the axle flange. Grade 5 is more than adequate enough to pull the neccesary preload on the studs, especially fine thread. Nuts, by shape and internal thread, are inherently stronger than studs or bolts, by many times even.

If the holes in the axle are wallowed out, or the axle threads worn, then tapping to 1/2"-20 sounds like a good fix. The 1/2" bolts will not only be more resistant to flex, they will take a lot more preload to help stay tight. Try and keep a shoulder at the flange, although it may require getting a slightly longer bolt and cutting it off, and maybe even relieving some of the threads on the shoulder with a die if the shoulder is too long. I believe the shoulders start at around 1-1/4" legnth on cap screws. Most bolts are fully-threaded, so ask for hex head cap screws.

I don't recommend socket-headed cap screws(allen bolts), because they lack a lot of surface contact that you get with the bolt head or nut. You can use a lock washer with those as well.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: rear full floating axle bolts coming loose   rear full floating axle bolts coming loose Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Ive noticed mine doing the same thing just not as fast. Takes a few trips for them to start to leak but again you put alot more abuse on yours.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: rear full floating axle bolts coming loose   rear full floating axle bolts coming loose Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 10:18 pm

seems the bolt must have the collar and not just threaded the whole way and gotta make sure the holes are not wallowed out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear full floating axle bolts coming loose   rear full floating axle bolts coming loose Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rear full floating axle bolts coming loose
Page 1 of 1