Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

New to off road and Jeeps.

Go down 
+5
projblacknblue
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
Allium
Jessica
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female
Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2007-05-07

New to off road and Jeeps. Empty
PostSubject: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 7:24 am

Hi all,
I'm Jessie. I just got my first Jeep last week. I am totally hooked already. Ok so it's a Grand Cherokee, not a wrangler. It's a mommy car- I'm a mommy. I love it anyway. I want to do some basic modifications at first. Anybody have suggestions on where to start? Don't laugh at me when you see my GC pull up. Can't wait to get to know you guys.
Jessie
jeepchic
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 9:23 am

welcome - I just hooked up with them last month witha total stock wrangler (look at pics of last outing - im the one being towed out). Good group. Look in the tech section of the forum for a post marked "2 questions" they answered a couple of mine real well, may help
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 9:28 am

Welcome Jessica. You will find we are a warm friendly group of people and have quite a few "mommies and daddies" in the club already. I have 2 kids and they really enjoy getting out and camping, wheeling etc. There is wheeling for all levels including beginners in a stock GC so don't get scared off from the pictures. People usually only take pictures when something exciting happens. What are you looking to do with the GC? What type of wheeling, are you planning on using it off road?
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: Thanks for the welcome   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 10:02 am

I am looking to do "light" off-roading.
I want to go outo n the Dunes at assateague, which I believe I can do as is.
I would love to ride through the woods, hit some mud and bounce around a bit.
I doubt I will be crawling rocks just yet.
Someone suggested to me a 3" lift and AT tires might be a good start.
I just don't know enough about it yet.
I like to research and really get into something by trying it.
Any and all input and advice is really appreciated.
ok here's my first stupid question...what constitutes 'trail rated' on a jeep?
Many more silly questions to come.
Thanks,
Jessie
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 1:10 pm

Hey Jessie, Welcome to the Rock Raiders. If you looking for light wheeling and a simple lift to get you started I would have to tell you what I have told everyone. Go with a Budget Boost. Its simple cheap and a great way to get yourself started. I have one on my grand cherokee and I love it. Normally you can get a set of 31's on with the 2" BB. It takes a couple of hours to do the kit. Other than that you will need some sway bar disconnects. If you shop for deals you can make it happen for less than a 1000 bucks. Even cheaper if you find a deal on Tires. If you have a ZJ they ride on 15 inch rims and tim has a set of tires he is selling. If its a WJ they ride on 16 inch wheels and there are deal all the time.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 2:34 pm

Hey Nester whats a BB? Oh never mind "budget boost". Trail rated is jeeps way of advertising that the jeeps have been upgraded to be a more capable off road vehicle. They are trying to get people to make the connection between trail riding and jeeps so it will help with their sales. there really isn't a "trail rated" jeep. Or rather no numbers to grade the vehicles off road capability. It is quite simply just advertising. Just like some of the pick up trucks have stickers with "off Road" on the label of the truck. You should check into jeeps on the beach trip coming up this August. We have also talked about a kid friendly trail ride where we wheel half a day on light stuff and then gather and let the kids play, camp, etc.
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 3:02 pm

A kid friendly trail ride would be awesome. My whole family wants to get in on it. Thanks for the "trail-rated" info. I had a feeling it was a gimmick.
Ok silly question no.#2 how do I know if I have a ZJ or a WJ? Can you tell I don't have a clue? I currently have 16" rims. if that means anything. I am definitely inerested in the BB 2" lift. Can it be upgraded at aome later point if I go 4x crazy (whih is guaranteed to happen) or would i have to get a whole new system? Thanks everybody for your help. Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 8:30 pm

Welcome Jessie...

One thing you will find with us... no question is a "silly" question. We have a lot of patience and knowledge to share.

What year is your Grand? I could post the years of different models (CJ, YJ, TJ, XJ, WJ, JK, etc... but that would just clutter and add more confusion to your simple question).

Don't worry about taking the Grand out to play... Joe wheels his frequently... though if you don't want body damage I would not recommend following him just yet cheers .

I wouldn't mind leading you out on some light trails sometime... hopefully I can get my rig put back together soon (see my post on why you need control arm skids... but I was not on easy trails... so don't worry).
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
The Devil Dog
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
The Devil Dog

Male
Number of posts : 1306
Emploi : New Suzuki and Used Car Sales

PostSubject: Welcome again Jessie   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2007 10:46 pm

By now youhave read several of our more involved members. We are sensitive to our new members, particularly since you are excite to learn. In the incomming months you will have the opportunity to enjoy your ride on the trails. People like Bill, Nester, Rich, Bobbi and Kat as well as others have gotten to know the Rausch Creek park well enough to know where to travel with people.

Enjoy your membership to it's fullest. We are all here to help, one way or another.

Tico 9
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tico_mrr
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 7:58 am

I can't wait to meet everyone. You guys are truly very nice.
I have an '04 GC laredo stock.
So I am thinking a BB 2" lift but smaller tires maybe 30s.
This is also my daily driver with babies and pets etc.
Does anybody go to Adams Jeep in Aberdeen?
Or know of good Jeep shops around?
I am also interested in getting some "pretty' stuff - hitch cover, door sills, pet barrier, etc. any recommendation on where to find that stuff?
Thanks again guys. You are the best.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 8:14 am

The grands switched from zj to wj after 98. Nester is right A BB and some quick disconects are the way to go for some green trail riding. Also I would look into some rocker panel protection. By the way welcome to the to club and if you have any questions on the grands feel free to drop me a line. Also stay away from adams jeep they do some bad work, just ask bobbi about what they did to her jeep.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 9:55 am

Welcome to the Club!
I had a GC Laredo as a rental when I was in Idaho. Did they really think they could give me a Jeep in this terrain and expect me NOT to test it out? I thought it did great. I think you'll really like it. I didnt do go over any big rocks but it handled all the hills and dirt roads just fine.

New to off road and Jeeps. Terrain
New to off road and Jeeps. Crestofthehill
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 10:15 am

Hey Jessie I have the same Grand Cherokee as you do. Only mine is a 2000, My setup is a 2" BDS BB (budget boost) and I run 31 inch goodyear mtr's. I love the setup for this rig cause my main use for it is taking me around town, going snowboarding in the winter crusing the beach in the summer, riding around my sisters farm, camping and soon some light trail riding while I'm building the axles for my YJ. Mine drives great on the highway and performs nice on the steet. Your GC (grand cherokee) is a WJ they were made from 1999 to 2004. They changed the body in 2005.

Questions for you. Did you get the 4.0 lnline 6 or the V8? I wish I had the V8 Sad but the 4.0 is trust worthy and strong 9 Do you have Tow hooks? if you have the stock ones its two in the front next to the fog lights and on in the rear opposite to the tail pipe. Are you ready to spend some money to get started?

List of what you need to get started

-Tow Hooks (if you don't have them let me know I'm hunting for some for mine at the moment)
-First Aid Kit
-20' Tow Strap w/ loops (no metal hooks) they sell them at TSC and Harbor Freight
-Spare Tire

Those are the basic things you need to come out and play. Try it once and if you like it then we can help you get started with the lifting. The BB lift that I'm talking about comes as a kit the only thing that it doesn't have that you will need is sway bar Disconnects. Those and the lift you can get all day long for under 500 bucks. The tires are another story of how much are you willing to spend. I would say for light trail riding and what your looking to do you should go with a All terrain or light mud terrain tire.
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: I am so excited to get started   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 12:30 pm

awesome stuff.
I have the 4.0 inline 6.
No tow hooks yet. It would be great if you find any if you let me know.
Does anybody go on ebay for their stuff?
I am ready to spend money as soon as I have it.
$500 sounds very reasonable for the lift.
I kinda had a feeling that the tires would cost me.
What does the sway bar disconnect run?
Any suggestions on where to go to get these items?
Thanks again guys...you are the best!
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 12:53 pm

I've used here for small stuff - located west chester pa so shipping is quick may give an idea on prices
http://www.quadratec.com/
Back to top Go down
mudboy2007
Open/Open
Open/Open
mudboy2007

Male
Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-03-14

PostSubject: hey   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 12:58 pm

Hey there

Nice to see new faces
Me and my dad had a cherokee laredo 1991 thought, It had 4 1/2 inch lift and 31 inch tires, It was a good day to day driver and was good off road.

I will be at Adams Jeep in Aberdeen on the 16 of June for the car crush

Going to be wheeling this weekend??

Timmy,
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Jessie I was saying 500 for all the parts you need except the tires and Tow hooks. So far all have found are the ones the dealership sells that thats almost 200 bucks alone.
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 7:26 am

car crush sounds cool.
I've never heard of it.

I found a set of tow hools for 75. If I can remember where.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2007 7:31 pm

Jessie if you can find that link for tow hooks for a WJ for the front and rear let me know I need two sets. lk
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 8:14 am

Ok Of course I can't find it now.
I am still looking.
Here's one but it looks more like the price range you were talking about.
http://www.autotrucktoys.com/jeep_grand_cherokee/Mopar-OEM-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Tow-Hooks-99-Up-P7440C6384.aspx

Can these be installed at home? Do you need any special tools?
I am hoping my son could put them on for me.
I'll get back to you as soon as I find it.
-Jess
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 8:26 am

Also have you seen this site?
http://www.wjjeeps.com/towhooks.htm
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2007 10:46 pm

Yeah the first one doesnt sell the rear tow hook and the second is a great web site for info on what the wjs came with and specs
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: My first ride   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 8:26 am

Went out to the levees in Chesapeake City with Patty and Veronica.
Oh my God!
That was more fun than anything I have ever done.
Of course I got stuck in my totally stock car.
I am sure this is exactly what I looked like driving2
Had my husband and baby in the car, what could be better.
I am hooked.
Can't wait to hook up with you guys on a trail ride.
Already looking for a Wrangler to really play around in.
If anyone hears of any good deals keep me in mind.
I am looking for one that is already done and ready for off-road.
If I can figure out how to put up pictures so mewhere I will let you guys know.
Thanks for all you great advice and help.
-Jessie
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 10:57 am

Levees? Hmm Whats the deal on them? I'm new to this too and was looking for some local places to do some light playing and practicing.
Back to top Go down
Jessica
Open/Open
Open/Open
Jessica

Female

PostSubject: Levees   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2007 5:51 pm

It's a place in cecil county, md and into delaware.
You can ride through mud, sand rocks dirt.
Mostly what I saw was my level-beginner stuff.
I am sure there is more there.
It is great fun.
-Jessie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to off road and Jeeps.   New to off road and Jeeps. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to off road and Jeeps.
Page 1 of 1