Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger

Go down 
+11
Grason
SPP YJ
Locked_N_Loaded
connordanny
GotMud?
thinga'ma'rig
jealos-z
rockdw72
md4wheelin
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 1:04 am

Its amazing that those motor mounts lasted getting the motor tuned and the little bit of driving that has been done.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 11:40 am

I agree. there are lots of "little stuff" like this that I need to go over. I don't think there are any bolts torqued down on this jeep, most were removed with very little effort including the u bolts holding the axles in. It will be a long tedious process but worth it in the end. I ordered a set of motor mounts from novak engineering. I could fab something up but considering how important this is I'll let them make money and leave out all the guesswork.
I just made another major purchase for this project. Purchased a set of axles that are already built. Same axles as what I have 79 ford but front has 35 spline all the way out, Yukon shafts and Yukon super joints, ARB front locker and heavy duty diff cover, high steer setup etc. Rear has 35 spline shafts, spool, heavy duty diff cover. Axles are already set up with 5:13 gears. Expensive but a really good deal at $3,200. I already have a buyer for my front axle and I will have no trouble selling the rear since it is a full floater and only 66" wms to wms.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 11:42 am

oh yeah and the picture doesn't do it any justice. the bolts are like 7/16" and smaller than the tube in the mount so it was free to bounce back and forth in there.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 1:59 pm

$3000 isn't bad at all seeing all the stuff already in them. just out of curiosity what type of rig did it come out of?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 3:11 pm

came from the TJ buggy that came in 3rd place in the series at RCRocs.

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Web
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 3:27 pm

I guess he did end up parting out that old rig. How much are you asking for the rear?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Might already be sold. I'll post up if it does come available in the next 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 5:17 pm

To upgrade my current axle in front the Gear change $500, locker even cheap $300 but he has the $800 ARB, 35 spline shafts and big joints $1000 so that is $1,800 alone for the front axle. Rear axle to upgrade to 35 spline it needs to have the tube bored $100?, locker $100, shafts $500" so that is $700 there alone. that brings it to $2500 plus the HD diff covers $200 makes $2700. SO Buy the built axles for $3200, sell mine for about $2,000 and diff is just $1200 for built axles front and rear. Now I am on pain medicine for a pinched nerve in the neck and shouldn't be making financial decisions but I couldn't pass that up. THere will be some more work stripping the axles bare of hardware but that is no big deal.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 6:19 pm

OK so I did a lot of research today about how to beef up the tranny and tcase. Currently I'm running the 700R4 chevy tranny and Chevy 27 spline 231 with fixed yoke. I'm concerned about the 700r4 handling the power of the big block but found It can be built to withstand the HP I want. So I'm not going with the TH400. the TH400 adds another 2" to the length of the drivetrain and sucks up about 75hp more than the 700r4 just to get it moving. SO keep 700R$ and build it when it breaks.
The current transfer case is the chevy version of the NP231 and the only real difference is it is 27 spline but everything else is pretty much the same as the jeep version including chain drive, although the chain is a little bigger. I don't believe it will last with a big block driving it. It will be fine for now while I test and tune but eventually will self destruct. Options for upgrade are few since I'm running chevy tranny and ford axles. A popular swap is to do a chevy 203 to ford 205 doubler. It is really strong and will be it's own adapter since the 203 is 27 spline. Big problem is that it is 22" long and very heavy weighing in about 150#. I could run a Ford NP205 behind the chevy tranny but the adaptor kit costs over $500 plus the cost of the ford 205 case. I've resolved to go with atlas 2speed transfer case when the 231 decides to grenade. cost will be high but it will never have to be replaced. I figure once the parts for the low cost alternative get to 50% then just go with the sure thing upgrade that will keep the drivetrain as short as possible 12" compared to the 22"
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:09 pm

Built axles will be picked up on Saturday. My current front axle will be purchased by Kat. My current rear axle will be sold, asking $800. It has been cleaned up and is a bare axle. It has new bearings and seals, new disc brake conversion kit, new rotors. It is a full floater with 31 spline shafts.
I will also be selling a set of H2 rims and the 36" iroks that are on them(2 or 3 cut deep into the tire. Preparing to purchase 16.5x12 beadlocks and some boggers.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:18 am

Rockn93YJ wrote:
My current front axle will be purchased by Kat.

I think this will be the best part of the build. sdsfhhgdigdhfo no more broken 30 shafts, or "Billllllllllllll i'm stuck againnnnnnnnn"
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:48 pm

mbn
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 6:40 pm

Wheels and tires were ordered today. Dropped the idea of 39.5 since they are expensive and only come in 16.5" rim size. dropped down from 39.5x18w to 38.5x15w and cost is down from 407 each to 232 each. big difference for just an inch of tire. Also ordered Trailready 16x10 beadlocks in steel at 258 each. now we're rollin. still waiting for parts though.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 12:13 pm

New motor mounts have been installed. I also cleaned up the new front axle of the 3 link hardware and it is just about ready to install. I need to cut a notch in the housing web to make a place for the U bolt to rest. Matching rear axle will be cleaned up today as well and I hope to have both axles installed by the end of the day.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 8:07 pm

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 HPIM2407
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 HPIM2409
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 HPIM2408
Mounts are done, front axle, H2 rims and my old Iroc tires are gone. still have the rear 60 for sale.

Last edited by Rockn93YJ on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 9:11 pm

sexy
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 8:40 pm

ok I need to organize my thoughts on this build since there is so much to do.
1. need to level suspension, raise rear by 3". waiting for 1-2" add a leaf from 4wd hardware and lift shackles from Nester. DONE
2. Box of 9/16 bolts x 5" long have been ordered for all the suspension connections. DONE
3. Lug nuts, acorn bulge nuts have been ordered to fit the large holes in the H2 rims. DONE
4. I need longer center pins for the front waggy springs for the 4 deg wedges that have been ordered. (I'll check the size and order). DONE
5. may need new u bolts depending on how much thread is showing after the add a leaf and new wedges. DONE
6. need to install hard brake lines front and rear, brake proportioning valve in the front fron Joes xj. DONE
7. need banjo bolts for the front calipers, going to check thread count and length and order. DONE
8. need to build a drag link AND TIE ROD BEHIND AXLE. already have components.
9. need to build a fuel tank support and skid since it is held on by chicken wire. GOING TO USE FUEL CELL IN BACK INSTEAD
10. need to install a front and rear axle vent (impossible to find them). DONE
11. need to build better engine mounts. DONE
[
11.5 Assemble Boggers to Beadlocks and mount.
12. need to build a belly pan/tranny mount and skid plate.
13. create and adjust a transmission linkage.
14. install new windshield, need new windshield mounts.
15. need to measure and order driveshafts.
16. install speedometer sending unit.
17. need new battery since old one is too weak in cca
18. build antiwrap bar for rear axle.
19. build custom exhaust from headers on back.
20. Order/install new fuel cell
21. install bell housing cover.
22. Fill tcase, tranny and both diffs wiht fluid.
23. install YJ cage with windshield mounts.or build new cage
24. Install seats into jeep with grade 5 hardware.or buy suspension seats
25. do I really need a parking brake?
26. install mechanical transmission and engine temperature guage.
27. get jeep painted.
28. install soft top and hardware.
30. dump it into the pit at big dogs and plan upgrades as needed
[/color]
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 10:13 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:

30. dump it into the pit at big dogs and plan upgrades as needed[/color][/color]

I can't explain the excitement - i'm pumped enough for big dogs and this is gonna make it even better...here's the main question though - is elva driving it through the pit or you?

OR

I think you guys should have a competition to see who makes it farther!!!!

Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 10:55 pm

I seriously doubt elva will even ride in this jeep. it was scary just to stand next to it idling with the big block and cherry bombs. I hope she does, I'm gonna try to talk her into it. YJ is ready for the season to begin so I'm ready to start work on this again. still a lot of work to do, not as much of a list but EVERYTHING requires fabrication.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Built axles are installed!

11.5 Assemble Boggers to Beadlocks and mount.
Wheels have not arrived yet, should be here this week. I am sending back the 38.5" boggers and opted for a better selection.

12. need to build a belly pan/tranny mount and skid plate.
DONE

not sure but I may link the rear since the fuel tank is going anyway.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 10:22 am

what for links would you use for in the mud?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 4:19 pm

good question. I'd imagine anything will work but I'd have to really pack a lot of grease around it.
I'm thinking I may just throw XJ springs on there since I have them available and build links after I move.(currently selling the house and buying another one)
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 4:56 pm

you are going to have to pretty much link it anyway to control axle wrap. if you go the kit route like poly performance or clayton it wouldn't take to much time to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:19 pm

you are absolutely right but even the poly kit is $1100 and I can build it a lot cheaper than that. the rear axle already has the upper mounts on there.most expensive part will be the coilovers or airshocks. I can build an antiwrap bar fairly cheap, enough parts laying around for it. The xj leafs is just to get the brake lines, drive shaft and other components the right length. I will link it after I move.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 6:50 pm

wow, I have never really looked at the price just saw it and thought it was a cool kit.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger
Page 6 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next