Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger

Go down 
+11
Grason
SPP YJ
Locked_N_Loaded
connordanny
GotMud?
thinga'ma'rig
jealos-z
rockdw72
md4wheelin
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 3:19 pm

Picked up a strap kit Monday for the front driveshaft and installed it this morning before I went to work. this evening I'll mount the tube bender in the garage so Thurs I can work on the cage.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 6:32 pm

HMMM cage thurs Mikes Sat mbn
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 9:34 pm

wish i could say it will be ready to run by sat but it just isn't going to happen. list is still too long and i don't want to be the one that pulls up to the line having forgot about something and step on the gas only to produce castastrophic failure at the line.
Tube bender is mounted in the garage now.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 10:29 pm

I was jus bustin u ass we are heading to mikes fri nite to work on the pit and test it Idea
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2961
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2962
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2963
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2964
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2965
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2966
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2968
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2969

Last edited by Rockn93YJ on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey Bill thanks for letting me get some cage fab time in. If I can cut out early again next week I will try to get out to help you weld it up and get some of the other parts bent and fit.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 10:56 pm

lookimg good
how are you doing your through body to frame tubes ?( removable ,slug,etc..)
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 pm

night and day bending this tube aint it?
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 8:01 am

nice work cheers
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 9:30 am

SPP YJ wrote:
lookimg good
how are you doing your through body to frame tubes ?( removable ,slug,etc..)

Plan is to put plates down where the cage meets the body and do the same underneath with the tubes running from the frame to the underneath plates. So basically "sandwich" the body and run 4 bolts at each location like I did on the YJ. Only problem I see with this is with it being a fiberglass body and not sure the body won't crack or crush under pressure. I'd be open to any suggestions. I'd rather run it straight down through to a frame mount and bypass the body all together but then I'd loose the ability to remove the cage if i ever needed to.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 am

Looking good as always!! Wish I could have been there fuckers!
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:32 pm

I can't believe how fast you work bill. I haven't enven looked at my jeep since bigdogs.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:19 pm

What we did for my cj5 is to run the frame bars up through the tub about 4" then we put a solid slug in the lower (frame bar) and welded it in then we built the upper part of cage off of that and drilled two holes in each connection 180 degree out and bolted using grade 8 bolts. This helped a lot of things
#1 if you ever get a side load on the cage in a roll over it will not have the chance to break the bolts off like can happen in a plate design the sheer of a bolt is not as strong as the stretch(tensile).
#2 you can remove the cage then remove the body if need be.
#3 my cj is also fiberglass and the plate design can and will crack body
also the gap that is in between the plates in that design makes #1 even more possible

another way is to use plate design with slug design this is nice on a metal tub not sure about that for a fiberglass tub.

If you want i can get some pics im not the best at explaning things
or tell me my idea sucks
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Maybe this will help explain what im talking about but I did it quick.

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Cage13
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:51 pm

Makes great sense . what size bolts did you use to hold it in place?
I was thinking about not sandwiching the tub at all given that it is fiberglass and you just confirmed my suspicion about it. I thought maybe running a piece of tube from teh frame up at an angle through the tub and welding a plate on top for welding the cage to. (or cut the tube to fit and weld a plate to the top and drop it down through a hole and weld it to the frame so there would be a good weld surface for the cage to weld to).
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 8:26 pm

Found a 4wd version C6 with NP205 and also a 460 motor. I may buy these and have them rebuilt as plan B for when the current fails.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 9:50 pm

The 700R4 is yours for the taking dont forget. Like I said it needs rebuilt it was slipping and I just found a replacement and swaped them out.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 10:10 pm

That is appreciated. I was going to have one rebuilt with the 31 spline conversion package but then if it failed I'd be stuck with rebuilding another one instead of just throwing in a stock replacement. I'm going to run the 454/700r4/231c until it fails and then move to plan B. Plan B is ford motor/tranny/tcase and that way i can use all stock parts and no conversions or adaptors needed. Of course I've been known to change my mind before.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 11:45 pm

OK changed my mind again I think.. I say to hell with the ford motor/tranny/tcase idea. When the current drivetrain breaks I'll swap the front axle to passenger drop and keep it all Chevy.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 am

Rockn93YJ wrote:
OK changed my mind again I think.. I say to hell with the ford motor/tranny/tcase idea. When the current drivetrain breaks I'll swap the front axle to passenger drop and keep it all Chevy.

It might be a little bit of a head ache but when the chevy guys want a high pinion 60 they taken your axle and retube it so it becomes a pass drop like the chevy axles.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 9:18 am

makitupthehardway wrote:
Rockn93YJ wrote:

It might be a little bit of a head ache but when the chevy guys want a high pinion 60 they taken your axle and retube it so it becomes a pass drop like the chevy axles.

agreed. it's the most logical way to handle it. Looking at it finiancially it costs more to convert and aquire the ford parts than it does to just have the tubes swapped. By the way AOI in westminster is going to warranty my damaged axleshaft for me.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Got a lot done this weekend. Cage is getting closer to being done. Bell housing cover is on, engine oil tube is installed and sealed, Steering box brace is installed.
Got help from Von and Kat on saturday and Nester spent about 4 hours welding the cage, (he did want some experience at that). The extra set of hands was greatly appreciated. Thank you guys very much.
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2996
Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 HPIM2997
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Wow - the cage looks great!
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Looks good bill almost ready to sling some mud
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 10:00 pm

had a great time hanging out and helping. Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 86155
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger
Page 11 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next