Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger

Go down 
+11
Grason
SPP YJ
Locked_N_Loaded
connordanny
GotMud?
thinga'ma'rig
jealos-z
rockdw72
md4wheelin
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17
AuthorMessage
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 9:23 am

Bill you are the man, I was getting ready to have napa search me down those seals because both my front sides are leaking. now I can just give them a number.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 10:40 am

md4wheelin wrote:
Bill you are the man, I was getting ready to have napa search me down those seals because both my front sides are leaking. now I can just give them a number.

Good luck with NAPA. I did find it online at Napa somehow "Axle shaft seal-spindle end" NOS 15692
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 10:43 am

Try to get the original Dana Spicer seal because they are evidently less prone to leak from what i've read on pirate.
When that seal starts leaking again, evidently it is a very common problem, then you can buy the custom OUTER axle tube seal from Mad 4 wheel drive.
Mad 4 wheel drive

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Mad60outerseal
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Just picked a set up from napa today (which they had in stock) though they don't look like the one above.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 9:54 pm

should look exactly like the one above. has the trumpet looking end to guide the shaft in without damaging the seal.

napa catalog 15692

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 91490
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Replaced the inner axle seal today and tried to finish the brake system but had a brain fart while bleeding the master cylinder. disassembled the entire front axle including pulling out the gear and locker. Came out with minimal effort, a lot heavier than i imagined. Old Inner seal came out with a 1.5" DOM tube and a light tap with a hammer. Seal didn't look bad so it might have been loose from installing the axle shaft? New seal went in with a threaded rod and a custom made washer. I cut a washer the same size as the seal out of 1/4" plate and used that to pull the seal into place with a long threaded rod. Reassembly of the differential was a BITCH. took a lot of prying and turning and pushing and finally stomped it in there. Axles went in a little tough, not much room for the Yukon joints and such. had to disassemble the whole knuckle to get the shaft to go in without risking popping the seal loose again. Its all together now. all the brake lines are ready to hook up to the master cylinder with the new adaptors and wilwood proportioning valve in the rear line. Will have to wait until thursday. might not wheel this weekend after all, still a lot to do including a local test run before i waste anyones time on the trail.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 12:33 am

they told me it was this one
part number 27452

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 91427

I guess they gave me the wrong ones
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 8:55 am

yeah those dumb fuckers did teh same thing to me. that is the seal for the inner side of the hub bearings. Take it back and use the part number I gave ya. They have it in their computer wrong.

"Axle shaft seal-spindle end" NOS 15692
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 8:11 pm

All that is left I may finish tomorrow, if not then this saturday so i can wheel it on sunday.

1. Bleed brakes
2. Install radiator overflow container (time to get rid of the water bottle)
3. make some windshield hold down tabs.
4. fab some door latches for the full soft doors
5. install soft top
6. reinforce trailer
7. fab and install snorkle
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:14 pm

1. Bleed brakes DONE
2. Install radiator overflow container DONE
3. make some windshield hold down tabs. DONE
4. fab some door latches for the full soft doors DONE
5. install soft top DONE (bikini top)
6. reinforce trailer CRAP I THOUGHT I WAS DONE
7. fab and install snorkle DONE

Only thing left is to reinforce the trailer. Took it for a test drive today down the back roads. Really sucked, not much acceleration and I was thinking I built a terd! Put the transfer case lever all the way forward and no better, all the way back and no better. took it back to the garage to check the linkage because it didn't feel like it was going in low range. Turns out the shifter is backwards. forward is low range 4 and as you move it back it goes to high range. The tub wasn't cut far enough to allow the shifter to go into low range. cut the tub and took a spin and WOW what a difference! I can spin the tires. 9
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 pm

Sweet!
Now Pics????? 9
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:37 pm

connordanny wrote:
Sweet!
Now Pics????? 9

Sorry, got dark on me and black jeep in the dark doesn't come out that well. Last thing i did after the test run was put the HUGE MARR and skull hood sticker on. I'll get pics this weekend at Rausch.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Yeah, mud is LOTS of fun but I wanna RACE! So back to the list again, I'll start this after big dogs.

Competition preparation list:
SHOP: Neck brace, fire suit, 2 (2 1/2#) fire extinguishers, basic first aid kit, window nets.
FAB:
1. Window net installation, may require door bars with hinge to allow access and allow fastening lower part of window net.
2. 1/8" solid roof
3. fix firewall hole from heater, fix floor hole (cage seat crossbar goes through tranny hump)
4. seal fuel tank from occupants(since in cab)
5. add a leaf to front suspension.
6. stretch and link rear suspension (if time)
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:09 am

More work done.
1. YJ ARB toggle switch that i swiped for the CJ with a new one that just came in the mail.
2. Valve cover vents are now installed.
3. Larger high performance tranny cooler is installed on the radiator, rated for RV up to 10000 pounds.
4. Carb. threads were repaired the the Helicoil repair kit. first time using one and it worked GREAT!
5. Shifter linkage was adjusted and works fine again. No more going backwards when i put it in park.
6. Battery has been charged.
7. ARB is not functional, suprised? O-ring is blown. Found the baffled axle vent exploaded when the seal failed. I'm not fixing it, going to sell it(the whole axle)

Also found the antiwrap bar is tweaked. .120 tubing isn't strong enough. Not fixing it, going to link and stretch the CJ this winter.

List to do before leaving for big dogs:
1. tighten the steering box, one of the bolts fell out and I need to buy a new one.
2. Fill the tranny back up with fluid. (old fluid looks like Jack daniels).
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 5:26 pm

OK, so I did have a successful run in the mud at Rausch. Project was a successs but blew the tranny and didn't make it to big dogs, actually blew putting it on the trailer. Motor passed the test but there are still a few flaws that need taken care of. Front ARB leaking again and needs repaired, o-ring. Steering box comes loose after a day of wheeling, suspension rides like a BRICK! I did what I set out to do with this dedicated mud bogger and the Project is offically DONE!

Now to phase 2...... see new thread to find out more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger   Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger - Page 17 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project "Mud Bandit" dedicated mud bogger
Page 17 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17