Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

YJ will not go in gear

Go down 
+3
jealos-z
Rockn93YJ
makitupthehardway
7 posters
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

YJ will not go in gear Empty
PostSubject: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:01 pm

So after a weekend of wheeling the jeep and two days working on the Toyota. Today I got in the jeep and started her up in neutral and it would not go in to any gear and would grind if i tried reverse. I turned off the jeep and started it in gear and it pulled forward even with the clutch in gear. I did put in a new slave with Bill and Ryan and we could not figure why the thing would not bleed but it ran fine so was not worried about it. Now I have this problem and Im completely lost and dont want to have to pull the trans and transfercase to find out it is something simple with the slave. Any help with be wonderful. Its a AX15 in a 94 YJ with a 4.0 those that dont know my rig.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:23 pm

study no clue
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:31 pm

Those slave cylinders suck to bleed and take awhile or maybe you got a bad one I have had that happen to
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:35 pm

put a pressure gauge on the line of the master cylinder make sure it works before pulling the trans.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 8:46 pm

I would actually bleed it again or replace it again before pulling the trans.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 9:02 pm

when we built mine i bought it with a bad "clutch" so when we tour it down i replaced every thing but the slave cyld guess what it was!! open the bleader and let it sit for awile before you blead it again.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 pm

Yeah I don't want to pull the trans. I'm going to do a combo of what you guys said. Thanks guys I absolutely hate the clutch in the jeep. Its been giving me shit for months.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2008 10:05 pm

master cylinder?

also i know we had a bad run with pep boys slaves and masters so from here on out i buy mine from the dealer
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am

that happend to me once went wheelin came home, parked the jeep. I went to move it a week later and same thing. the clutch was siezed together. I ended up pushing out onto the road and tried to break it free. started it in 2nd and slaming on the brakes worked. I was suprised it only took 5 days for it to sieze up
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 8:22 am

hmmm, replacing the master cyl again sounds like a great idea
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Ryan and myself spent 30 minutes last night bleeding the system. The clutch seemed to work fine after bleeding the clutch a number of times. I will check on it again later and move to changing the slave cylinder next if the same problem happens again. I will post again later tonight on this or tomorrow with a update.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2008 8:22 pm

24 hours later the Jeep still shifts smooth. Hopefully the problem has been solved. Thanks for the tips and help guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: YJ will not go in gear   YJ will not go in gear Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

YJ will not go in gear
Page 1 of 1