Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

trailer/tow rig questions

Go down 
+7
Locked_N_Loaded
makitupthehardway
md4wheelin
thinga'ma'rig
mdcj7
jealos-z
connordanny
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

trailer/tow rig questions Empty
PostSubject: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:29 pm

Its inevitable - I'm gonna have to get a grown up vehicle sooner or later and when I do I want to get something strong enough to pull a trailer for the jeep.

My thoughts are that I could sell/trade the 91 YJ for a trailer - but I don't know what specs to look for in a trailer. The TJ is 6'1" wide from front tire to front tire - which sucks bc I know I've seen trailers that are 6ft wide. I would want to get the smallest/lightest that could transport a jeep.

I'm doing this all backwards for a reason. I'm trying to get the trailer first before the truck bc when I do eventually get a truck I know I wont have the extra $ for a trailer. That and Karen said its OK.... She would rather look at a trailer in the driveway than the 3rd Jeep

So if anyone sees one on Craigslist or on the side of the road for sale let me know!

I just paid off the TJ this week! Next task is finding a truck that is strong enough to pull the trailer & Jeep. Its gotta have a back seat so I was browsing the internet and looking at the f150 and the dodge 1500 with the extended cab and short bed. I was looking at both New and used 06 or 07. Any suggestions are welcome - and if you see one for sale feel free to pass the info along. I'm not in any hurry at all -just kinda waiting for a sweet deal.

Thanks!
DC
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Any 16ft car trailer will be fine as far as a tow rig that is personal preference we have a 02 chevy 2500 with a 6.0 and it works great, a 1500 will be fine the truck will jus work harder..
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:49 pm

Danny,

I got my Trailer at PSL trailers on RT 40 there trailers looked better then Jiffy hitch trailers. Get on RT 40 at 43 and drive north you will see many trailers places on left and right. To save some weight you can get one with open center. I would get one with 81" between fenders incase you go with new axles later. also if you get a 18' you can get other cars on it if needed I put a GTO on mine and it just fit at 16' I don't think it would of fit. The differance beteen the 16' and 18' was $150. Hope this helps I looked around a lot before buying mine.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:51 pm

OK - Cool!
I'll check them out!
Thanks
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 4:19 pm

i wouldalso go with an open center, cause if you want to work on a vehicle with it on the trailer it gives you room underneath. any full size truck will pull a vehicle ok.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 pm

danny alot of landscapers are selling off trailers right now to make ends meat. Just pick up one with two 3500# axels and wide enough to fit your jeep. I wouldn't get one with an open center because it limits what you can do with it.
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 7:23 pm

I agree with Joe, I have used mine for alot of stuff that a open center would have done me no good
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:10 pm

Danny I'm with Joe and Rob on the trailer. I bought a 18 foot trailer on craigslist with a solid deck. We used it for all kinds of stuff. Also, I pull it with my van. It only has a 5.4 liter but does good. Rob I know its a ford so hold the blue oval comments.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:30 pm

I got the open deck to save on some weight - i know it's not that big of a difference but every pound counted to try and save the pathfinders ass. My trailer is only 1400# and I bought it new for $1800. I believe Rob spent close to the same amount of money and his is really nice.

It is nice to be able to work on a rig with an open deck but I'd get a closed deck if I'd do it over again. My neighbor was going to borrow it to tow his MG to a car show and it was too narrow to fit safely on the ramps. That's an oddball thing but a closed deck would be nice for moving many random things as well.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 10:33 pm

CLosed deck is nice if you have to escape for a few and need a place to lay down and catch a nap. Slip under the jeep and go unnoticed.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:09 pm

Cloesd deck can turn into party deck when you are camping. 8
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:57 pm

SPP YJ wrote:
Cloesd deck can turn into party deck when you are camping. 8
Uh-Oh - Joe likes to burn the party deck in the campfire....

I need to rent a car for work next week to drive to a trade show in Charlottesville, VA so I requested a full size truck - F150 or Silverado to try it out. It was the same price as the compact cars... scratch
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 9:47 pm

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/1033720801.html

Is this too small??
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 12:25 am

yes, you need at least 14' with two 3500# axels if you want to do it right.
Back to top Go down
crazyjimmy
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
crazyjimmy

Male
Number of posts : 66
Emploi : United States Navy Retired
Registration date : 2007-03-28

PostSubject: got to be quick   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 5:59 am

if you see a nice trailer on Craigs list or in the paper, they go quick. also as stated above, people are selling them off to catch up on bills, cash is best. Sold my trailer a year ago to pay rent, now am looking for another.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 12:23 am

Danny keep your eyes open on the Washington DC area. If you find a deal I can go check it for you and put a deposit or drag it home for you if you need. I scored a sweet deal for my trailer but I was at her front door 20 minutes after I saw the ad on CL. The last to trailers I saw before had sold in a mater of 2-4 hours. Don't give up on the deals and don't settle for junk and good deal will come along sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 pm

danny, my brother butch has a solid wooden deck tandem axle trailer, i asked him if he would sell it because it has been setting for at least 1 year.he said he would take $450.00 for it. if you are interested let me know and you can come see it. I am sure it needs to be gone over, but it has potential. if this is your one and only chance to get a really nice trailer, then i prob. would not get it. but if you can use the money saved to put it in something else you want then i would get it.as long as the frame is in good condition. i have not really looked at it myself, but it is in essex at my work.he might even take $400.00, but dont tell him i said that. mbn
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 2:13 am

Cool - Thanks Von! Sounds like something I would be interested in!!!
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 9:53 pm

when ever you want to look at it give me a call
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 12:57 pm

thinga'ma'rig wrote:
when ever you want to look at it give me a call
Cool - would some time after you get off of work on Saturday work?
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Looking at an 04 Chev Silverado 50k miles, V8, tow pkg, ext cab for about $9k. Price seems right, but its only 2wd.
I already have Kat's opinion, but is this decent for a tow rig?

Of course I would want 4wd.... but its a lot more $.
If I ever get stuck in the parking lot at RC or Big Dogs couldn't I just pull the TJ off the trailer and winch the chevy onto solid ground? scratch

If we had more than 3 inches of snow in the last 3 yrs I may be more adamant about getting 4wd
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 6:55 pm

I have seen a need for a 4x4 tow rig 3 times.

1. With Bill in NC wheeling Tellico and it was because the cabin was at the bottom of a hill, it was raining and the driveway was loose gravel.

2. Driving out of Paragon with 6-12 inches of snow.

3. Wheeling in the snow this year at RC.

In these situations it wasn't a big deal cause everyone had 4x4 tow rigs. Generally speaking if your running in the snow at RC you can always leave the tow rig at the comfort inn and drive your rig to the Park. After the last snow that we had and the good job that PA does cleaning 81 I could have driven to the Comfort and then drove the rig to the park. That is if you either have people to follow you or you keep the tags on the TJ. I tow with a 2 wheel drive van (I wish it was a pick-up) and I have never had a major issue. I did almost get stuck in the mud at RC but lucky for me the van has LSD in the rear and it saved my ass. On flat ground at Mikes mud bog the van did fine with the jeep behind it in the grass.

Know if you ask me what I would personally buy I would say stick with a 4x4 pickup. It might save your ass or better yet you might save some jerk in a van that is stuck. lol!

Other thought is have you thought about maybe a Tahoe or a Suburban? I know Kat tows with one and has no major complaints other than wanting a little more power but it does the job and they can't sell those things in the current market. I know that Emily is sold on the idea of her next car being a 2500 Suburban with a duramax or a 8.1
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:40 pm

having a 2wd 450 does piss me off sometimes but with a limited slip and tires chains it does get around in the mud and snow reasonably. If you can find 4wd for a few dollars more I would do it. On the other hand if this is all you can afford its not the end of the world.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:51 pm

Danny, I have an 05 with the 5.3 with 3.55 gears and it dose a great job of towing my jeep. I may be doing 4 grand on my tack but I making ground up hill. I only needed 4WD once in paragon parking lot when towing and your right you can always drop off the jeep and get it out of the mess and than reload. Just some more work but that is a great price.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Cool - thanks for the replies!

I'm just trying to think ahead here and get something that can tow the jeep before I wait too long and wind up driving a freakin' minivan or something.... sdfsdgsdg

I think I'm gonna ride down and take a look at it on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trailer/tow rig questions   trailer/tow rig questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

trailer/tow rig questions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next