Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

driveshaft angles, warning: Math talk enclosed!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

driveshaft angles, warning: Math talk enclosed! Empty
PostSubject: driveshaft angles, warning: Math talk enclosed!   driveshaft angles, warning: Math talk enclosed! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2007 12:43 pm

Ok so I need to worry about pinion angles due to the Currie high pinion 9" not getting lubrication if angled too high. It seized up on me due to lack of lubrication from too high a pinion angle. The oil in the differential is spun up the ring gear and onto sheet metal that guides the gear oil to the pinion bearing with the help of gravity. Pinion angle too high and no lube will get there. I wanted to see if I could move the axle back far enough to run a non CV driveshaft and that would allow running the pinion angle flat(optimal for pinion bearing lubrication). First what is my current angle? I didnt have a protractor or goniometer or one of the handy tom woods angle finder cards so I had to look up the math functions. My current drop in height from the transfer case yoke to the pinion yoke is 6.5" with the pinion rotated up. distance was 19" on the ground and driveshaft length was 20'. using the arc Tangent of O/A or 6.5/19 gives me .342 and the arc tangent gives an angle of 19 degrees. But with a CV shaft the angle is divided through the two U joints at the transfer case side. Tom woods says 15 degrees is the maximum you would want with a standard driveshaft or binding and failure could occur. Not an issue with a cv shaft. If I rotate the pinion down the angle of the u joint would be more severe at 29 degrees and out of the question. So I cant rotate the pinion down and run a standard shaft as the angle would cause binding of the u joint and vibration. SOOO I thought how far would I have to move the axle back in order to be able to run a non CV shaft? it would mean a 10" drop from transfer case yoke to pinion yoke so the distance would have to be moved back 19" to get a shaft angle of 15 degrees. Thats not going to happen. So what about dropping some of the lift and extending the axle some? If I drop the jeep 4" and move the axle back 6" It could work. But again I'm not doing that either. SO my plan is to move the axle back about 5-6 inches(all I can get away with using my new fuel tank) and keep the CV driveshaft. How much difference would that make? Back to the scientific calculator again. O/A gives 6.5/24 =.271 and arc tangent gives the angle of 15 degrees. I am currently at 19 degrees with the pinion pointing straight up the shaft. I should rotate it down 2 degrees from that anyway as recomended but thats for axle wrap and I don't have any since I use 4 control arms. I may also drop the jeep an inch or so by adjusting the coils but not sure I want to do that. I can live with about 13-15 degrees and just overfill the rear diff some and hope it works. PLus the added 5-6"wheelbase length will be helpful with the hill climbs. So the lesson here is If you buy a high pinion 9" axle for the rear of your jeep don't run more than 4" lift and don't use a CV driveshaft or the pinion bearing will seize up on you. Second lesson here is I need a beer.

For those interested in more info here is the finding angles link:http://mathforum.org/~sarah/hamilton/ham.find.angles.html
Back to top Go down

driveshaft angles, warning: Math talk enclosed!
Page 1 of 1