Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Empty
PostSubject: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 am

So as many of you know I speak very highly of the Warn product. They are the most popular brand and winch out there. Yet the down side is that there products are not cheap. You can get the M8000 for around 600 bucks know shipped, if you hunt for it. But after watching extreme 4x4 the other day I saw that Ian rebuilt the old school 8274 and claimed that it was a low buck way of getting a winch. So last night I did some searching and found that you can get one on ebay used for 200-400 bucks all the way up to new for 2K which is crazy that it still goes for that much new. I also found on my favorite website that the rebuild is not that hard.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

I'm still researching this and reading about it. So my question is what is the opinion in the group of what I have brought up. Buy new or rebuild the "kick ass gear driven 8247"? I'm not in the market for one now since I'm kinda broke but since the cash flow isn't the best I'm making good use of time learning and researching ways to keep the toy's build down in cost. Well that and I was bored last night and was dreaming of a sick toy on 60's. I kept seeing pics of guys running that winch and was wondering, why there is such a strong following of there old style winch? Is there any down sides to them?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 12:24 pm

So i do own the warn 8000i winch and it has lasted quite a few years. I've used it very little but when i need it I can depend that it will work for me. Can we say that about other winches? Ive see the issues with the Cheaper winches with busted remotes etc. Having said that I did buy a Bulldog winch for the CJ due to the low cost for a heavy duty winch and for as little as I actually use it. I won the smittybuilt 10k winch and probably will be selling it since I already have a winch on each vehicle and elva doesn't want "all that stuff" on the front of her jeep. If I had a need for another winch i would still buy a cheaper one since the need for it is quite few and far between. If you rebuild one is there a guarantee that it will work? I saw the episode too and thought it was pretty cool but I would still buy another bulldog for the benefit of having a new winch with a warranty.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 12:31 pm

I had a 8274 on my buggy that was fast as hell & still alot of power the down fall is they are pretty tall i would buy another one
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Bill, I completely understand you make a good point on the new and few head aches.

Chris, I didn't look in to line speed and true pulling power. I have just been reading that it is a item that has always been in high demand.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 1:33 pm

They're very fast! They are big though.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm not worried about the size or the weight due to some weight on the front of the toyota would help. Plans is to stretch the wheel base more if I ever win the lotto and link it.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 1:44 pm

For some reason I get excited every time I see that winch...don't know why, but I have some sort of sick obsession with it.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 2:07 pm

The gear drive is awsome you could hang the toy from a tree it won't release because are load carring design
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2009 12:32 am

Yeah I think I have found my new winch. I'm going to start hunting for a good unit to rebuild. The more I read the more I like about the M8274. That and i found a guy locally that can test the electrical parts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.   The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The warn M8274 worth it or not worth it.
Page 1 of 1