Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Back to the YJ ?

Go down 
+5
MonsterS10
MYYJROX
Rockn93YJ
SPP YJ
makitupthehardway
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 4:59 pm

So Nick, Matt and Bill might have seen this coming. I want to put my thoughts in writing. Mainly to see if what I'm thinking is a good or bad idea. So after a really slow year for my hobby and bad year for work and money, I'm thinking that keeping up with two rigs is a lot of stress and head ache that I don't need. My thought is to go back and focus on the jeep. I have to much invested in it and to see it sitting rusting at my house, it is killing me. As well the toyota will need a lot of work to get it where I want it. Which ultimately is not what I really want cause I really want a tube buggy. I have the DOM that I bought for the toyota which can be put towards building tube fenders, finishing the cage that is in the YJ or starting over. The harnesses that I bought will be used in the jeep to go with the cage and seats that are currently in the YJ. Next, would be working on the springs cause my leafs. My front springs are trashed and the rear is okay but will be in need of help soon. I have most of what I need for leafs here if I want to replace it all in similar fashion or I can modify thanks to a friend that has a pile of springs sitting around. Most of what I'm talking about doing can be done for little cash out of pocket. The big question is if I'm going to go back tpo focus on the YJ what do I do with the toyota. Sell that bastard and buy 60's? Then maybe sell the Dana44 and 8.8 for tires? The more I think about it the more I like the idea of it. Lately I have been working the crap out of my mind trying to figure which rig I want to put the money towards and if I had to pick one I think I should pick the Jeep.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 pm

I would agree with you keep the jeep.

I would think putting all your money and time in one jeep rather than two rigs and trying to decide what one gets what upgrades and parts and more importantly it seems like for you what one gets more time spent on it with free time not always there.

Two rigs with different purpose would be a different thing like one for trails and one for racing ,or one for show and one for go. But two for trails sounds like a lot of time and money to me .

Just my .02
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 9:38 pm

agreed. seems you are making 2 rigs to do the same thing. However you did mention how nice it is to still be able to trust and drive the jeep on the road, something i cannot even think about doing the way i trash the YJ. fortunately i have elva's jeep to fall back on. I say use the jeep for the street and keep it off the trails and trash the toyota. only money that needs to be spent is on the toyota since the jeep is in good running order(and a rare color). don't spend money on a nice vehicle. invest on the toy and trash it, money invested will be gained back if you decide to sell it later. If you trash the YJ you will loose your street and trail vehicle.
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 9:48 pm

I'm going to agree with Bill - street Jeep and trail Yota.
Besides...I thought the YJ was Emily's now. Razz
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 am

Thats the problem. Emily and I thought that wheeling our own rigs would be fun and cool. In the perfect world it would be great. Truth is the cost of wheeling two rigs is more than we can afford at the moment. Plus Emily and I both want a more street friendly jeep that could serve as Emily's daily driver and something we can take to events like jeeps on the beach and rides in the summer. The YJ is good for all that but with no cruse control, AC, the ride of leaf springs and the high mileage, takes away from the fun of the ride at times. So after this weekend we came to the conclusion that we like wheeling together and that the YJ is a shitty street rig in the winter and needs more money invested to be more street friendly. I talked about it with Emily the whole way home yesterday and she thought that putting my thoughts out here was the best idea.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:55 am

"The YJ is good for all that but with no cruse control, AC, the ride of leaf springs and the high mileage, takes away from the fun of the ride at times."

WHAT? its a JEEP! You don't want cruise control or AC and it is supposed to ride a little rough. high mileage? If you mean driving a long way in a jeep can be very tiresome I understand but it is really nice to be able to remove the top and scoot around the area in a cool looking jeep. There really isn't any reason to mess with the YJ. It is good as is and can be enjoyed all year round. I really miss not having my jeep to drive around on the street.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 12:16 pm

A/C & cruise are for grand cherokees throw a lift on the cherokee & beat the yj
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 pm

MonsterS10 wrote:
A/C & cruise are for grand cherokees throw a lift on the cherokee & beat the yj

i like this idea but take a look at my jeep, Nicks Jeep and Matts jeep and understand that yours will not be far behind..
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:13 pm

LOL, Bill I was gonna say the same exact thing.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:05 pm

chucks is straight for now lol!
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:47 pm

You guys are all missing one little detail. My wife wants a wrangler. I'm trying to sell her on a TJ but I'm sure she will find her way in to a JK. Her car is on the way out and she will not stop talking about getting a wrangler and since she rode in Elva's jeep she talks about it even more. Its not going to happen in the next year or so. I do have the grand cherokee and it will be getting tires soon since they are bald and will not pass inspection this month. I was thinking that I would get a set of JK rubicon wheels and tires for it and that will make the grand cherokee more fun for a year or so. I know that having the jeep on the street is fun but I figure I can start seriously beating on it and I will have at least another year and half till the tags die. Not that it matters cause as long as the YJ can run on the emissions dyno and be driven to my friends shop I have the hookup on tags. Something about paying your high school buddy that is also your inspector cash that keeps him happy. Trust me I really want to keep the toyota and have that on 60's or built toyota axles but unless some kinda sweet side job comes up its never going to happen and then the jeep is just going to waste. I'm thinking selling the Toyota and investing the money in the YJ will free up a lot of money for other things. Like a trip to Tenn. and wheeling big dogs this summer.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm going to windrock in tenn. late feb if you want to make that trip.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:30 pm

i've got a set of 5 rims, sahara 18" with only 2300 miles on the tires.
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 pm

i really miss my jeep on the road as well, most likely i will be buying a tj within the next 2 years to satisfy my needs lk
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 1:31 am

JKs use 5 on 5 where most everyother jeep has 5 on 4.5 wheels
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the heads up I knew that already the grand cherokee's where the first jeeps to go 5 on 5 in 1999.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 9:40 am

oh, good deal
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:06 pm

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853105

I know that 2500 is a stretch for it but I might get lucky or find someone to give me a offer within reason. Also anyone with pictures or video that wants to post them please help out cause I'm a helpless in that department. Oh and pass the word I want this gone ASAP. Cash talks.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:04 pm

this guy offered me this trade for the toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makitupthehardway
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlefast
Any interest in trading for a s10 with dana 60s front and rear? The 60s are out of a 92 dodge. The truck also has 38 inch tsl radials with about half tread on white 16.5 wagon wheels, new race trim suspension seats, sm465, 205 with twinsticks, 4.3 that has a carb. The truck runs and drives but needs a brake master cylinder off of a 1 ton truck swapped on.

The gears are the stock 4.10s and both axles are open. The front 60 has a ballistic crossover steering arm on it and is set up with crossover steering.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Then another guy that offered me a trade for a HP60 with king pins with 4:10s and a 14 bolt and 44's to go with it. I have to look in to these but not sure what is the better trade. what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 pm

makitupthehardway wrote:
Then another guy that offered me a trade for a HP60 with king pins with 4:10s and a 14 bolt and 44's to go with it. I have to look in to these but not sure what is the better trade. what do you guys think?

Are the axles already rebuilt? Open/open?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:22 pm

I'm thinking no but he said they are complete rotor to rotor. if they need new seals and bearings that will be easy and I have the hookup on stock parts.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 10:24 pm

makitupthehardway wrote:

I think that the rear is welded.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:56 pm

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 7:15 pm

seeing how the dodge is pass drop and not usable for the YJ that kinda eliminates it as an option. trading for a HP 60 with 4.10 gears? worth 900-1200 depending on condition. You can count of having to rebuild the whole thing which adds to the cost. If it is in good condition and ready to run then yeah i'd consider that. toy has frame rust so can't expect too much for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back to the YJ ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to the YJ ?   Back to the YJ ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back to the YJ ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next