Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Fuel Cell thoughts?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Fuel Cell thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:06 pm

So I'm tired of dragging the tack over everything on the trail. I know most of you guys don't or might not have that issue but my jeep is the lowest height wise in our group. Well Clayton might be lower. Anyway my thought is to run a fuel cell like Bill and Joe have. I'm going to be stretching my wheel base sometime in the next year or so I wanted to figure this out and I might get this part done since the parts for the stretch might not my in the budget yet. I'm just looking for input on what other parts I might need. I'm looking for the link I saw a few years back on the pirate but I'm not having much luck. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 pm

I found it. www.Pirate4x4.com is the best site ever.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398298
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:24 pm

I like the way he changed the pick up and added the walbro pick ups. Not sure how the yjs are set up but on a tj the sender is ment to sit on the bottom of the tank. My fuel cell was to deep for the sender and the sender ended up breaking off in the tank. I ended up putting in a in-line pump and regulator
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 2:50 pm

I saw that many of them are running in line pumps. I just want the most cost effective option that works and will continue working.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 3:18 pm

I think cheapest is to get the RCI 2161 and cut a hole in it for your fuel pump like Joe did (I believe). The one i got for the CJ came ready to hook up an inline pump. YJ pump sits on a rubber bumper that is mounted on the bottom of the tank. Cheaper yet is to move your existing tank up in between the wheelwells and loose the back seat, build a skid. John Tabor from B4W (went to tellico with us) did this modification and may still have a like to it.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:10 pm

I really want to keep the back seat or the option of the space. I'm going with the RCI 2161. Plus if I was to keep the stock tank I would have to get another one. The one I'm using know it the one I go from Bill and its starting to leak at the top again
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

in line pump was not cost effective at all. All those little fittings add up. But now that it is all replaced if anything goes bad down the road all have to do is replace that one thing, instead of the whole sending unit.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:42 pm

The reason I had to use my oe pump was because my pcu controlled the fuel flow and my engine has no return line. IIRC most 4.0 have a return line so you can use a external fuel pump with those snow mobile pick ups
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 pm

rockdw72 wrote:
in line pump was not cost effective at all. All those little fittings add up. But now that it is all replaced if anything goes bad down the road all have to do is replace that one thing, instead of the whole sending unit.

that's if you use the bling parts. If you use rubber hoses, metal fuel lines, and hose clamps its not that bad. To replace a stock 4.0 fuel pump is around $400 and not all parts stores carry them in stock if it goes out on the trail.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:57 pm

The Yj sending unit has alot less mass then the tj sending unit so I don't think you will have a problem with it breaking off. If I were you I would do it like the thread that you posted.

I have a thing about using hose clamps on fuel injection hoses. I know it will hold but it is just not right. This is the rough new set up
Fuel Cell thoughts? Untitled
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 1:01 am

Yeah I think I'm going to try it the simple way.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 9:20 am

The rci-2161a has the sending unit in it summits price is $230 use a inline pump less work SUM-g3137 inline pump $210
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 pm

MonsterS10 wrote:
The rci-2161a has the sending unit in it summits price is $230 use a inline pump less work SUM-g3137 inline pump $210

How about all the fittings and lines. Any ideas oh wise one.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:50 am

http://www.jegs.com/i/RCI/821/2161A/10002/-1#moreDetails
The fuel pump uses -8 AN Inlet, -6 AN Outlet
The tank uses #8 AN fittings.
As to which brand I do remember reading a post from one of the KOH participatants that said "lesson learned, never go with the cheap fuel cell fittings"!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Cell thoughts?   Fuel Cell thoughts? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fuel Cell thoughts?
Page 1 of 1