Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?

Go down 
+2
Locked_N_Loaded
makitupthehardway
6 posters
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Empty
PostSubject: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 9:38 pm

Fuel Cell or Costly new tank with high clearance skid. I haven't had much luck finding cheap ways to get a high clearance tank so this is what I have come up with.

Option 1.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_763069_-1_10297
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/fuel/cellandpickups/

This guy did this in his Cj with EFI so I'm thinking I could do something similar in my YJ

or

Option 2.

http://shaffersoffroad.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=71&products_id=531

This way seems to me to be the simplest way to make this happen seeing that I wont need any extra parts to make the tank work.

So let me hear it guy what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 9:44 pm

I must say that Matt's setup on his TJ is slick as hell. On the other hand, option number 2 got me pretty excited. I get all fired up when I see a new mod/part that I wasn't aware of or that is new. Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 9:46 pm

Yeah take a look at Bills jeep next time you see it he has a setup just like it. but for the amount spent is the question? I dont really need my back seat.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 8:58 am

I opted for the comp EXT tank from Gen Right because I wanted to keep the back seat and store too much stuff behind the back seat to loose that spot. With the 2" body lift I was able to modify the tank so it was mounted 2" higher and 1" further back than advertised and am pleased with it. It is very expensive though. How about option 3. Remember John from the Tellico trip? he mounted the tank forward of the axle in the space usually occupied by the exhaust. You do loose the rear seat but gain tremendous clearance in the rear of the vehicle. As nice as your jeep is I'd opt to just put a good skid on there and call it good as long as you don't have to move the tank to make clearance for the axle stretch. How many times have you been denied on a trial because of catching the fuel tank?
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 2:51 pm

I don't think nester saw my cell. I ended up getting rid of the stock tank that was in the back because it took up to much space, and couldn't get it to fill right. but the cell I mounted up close to the seats and sunk it in the floor. The way I routed the fill looks like shit so I might end up moving it to the side and go along the wheel wheel. That way I can have the fill in the twards the back. I am not sure how VA is about the emission test but MD they test the fuel cap and make sure that the fill is the same size as stock. right now I am using the stock fill moded alittle. but If I move it I am going to just have a dummy stock fill tube Also not sure how YJ fuel system works but everyone told me that I had to reuse my stock TJ pump so I had to alter the tank.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2007 4:49 pm

Quote :
As nice as your jeep is I'd opt to just put a good skid on there and call it good as long as you don't have to move the tank to make clearance for the axle stretch. How many times have you been denied on a trial because of catching the fuel tank?

Good point Bill. As far as skid plate choice goes, Warn or Kilby? I've always liked the Kilby and I'm not sure if i recall seeing any warns, but they seem pretty similar - Warn is cheaper.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 10:00 am

Yeah. I just want to figure a way to stretch the rear in the rig. The springs are cheap and its easy to do other than the gas tank is in the way. I think I'm going to follow bills path with the GenRight tank and skid to keep the back seat and tub stock.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 1:18 am

So I think that I'm a square one again. Looking at the rig today I started making a Wish/Todo list and looking for ideas and brain storming I have to figure out the on board air that I want (I might copy off Nick) then where to put the tank scratch Then Looking at my poor tail gate is making me think that I need to start figuring out if a swing out carrier is a a good idea or should I just mount the spare in side on the wheel wells. That and tools and my speaker box. I'm thinking that giving up the back seat is going to be the most simple and economical way to make all of this happen. 5
this back and forth is getting old but I'm learning that its better to have a good plan than to just jump in blind. 8
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 4:23 am

I think I would have had plenty of clearance w/o the nth degree stinger and such to mount the tank under the tub in front of the gas tank. THat didn'e wokr out so it's in my tub now and i'ts alllllllllllllllllllllll good
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 4:31 am

Yah...kill the back seat Idea
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 11:19 am

Yeah i will save myself alot of time and money if i set up the tub for a fuel cell, air tank, spare tire storage and tools. Its the best way to go for me. if i don't like it i can always redo it later. As long as I dont cut up my tub and keep my back seat stuff.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: re   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 11:57 am

Think Twice maybe Three times about the back seat. I love my rig but you know my dilema and the back seat. You are young and no kids but its nice when you have a buddy who wants to go and you can say yes.. Or just for storage..

Do you recall Joe (Jokeral), that ran with us on that Paragon trip, set up for his fuel cell? He was running one of the stand up cells that mount right at the gate.. He got the idea from a thread on Pirate.

My new theory is to keep everything I can as long as it works... I have all this invested and all i want is a darn small rear seat...I have actually been speaking to a fabricator to reconfigure my rear set up to add a jump seat.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Yeah but if I just a fuel cell and air tank and do them know with out spending lots of money that gives me time to grow up and make more money save and prep for kids and stuff. If do ditch the back seat it wont be in a way that I couldn't go back later and figure it out. The way this is turning out anyway is that my rig is going to end up being a trail rig only with me fight the line to keep it street able so if I want I have bail on the tow rig and trailer. Plus side to all this is that the Emily wants her own rig for her to start working up for her to trail ride. So with that in mind for the future I might have to start thinking about how to con my way in to a goose neck and a dually 8
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 7:17 pm

dude just start wheelin your wj and you'll have plenty of room, problem solved cheers Hell I carry eveything including the kitchen sink And i still can fit the dog and kid.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 9:38 pm

okay blast me for this but its just so pretty. Its too clean but its going to happen one of these days. its such a turd with the stock gears and the I6.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/11/53/55/93/th/memori10.jpg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?   Tank and skid or Fuel Cell? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tank and skid or Fuel Cell?
Page 1 of 1