Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan

Go down 
+2
Rockn93YJ
projblacknblue
6 posters
AuthorMessage
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Empty
PostSubject: Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan   Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Why is it I learn why skids are important AFTER I need them?

So... I went adventuring recently with some friends and had a mishap (me?!?!?!... go figure).

I bent another front control arm (just got those darn things replaced) into the letter V (pictures to come after I replace it... but those 1/4" thick Rusty's mounts are still straight and true).

But the heart of my problem (or life blood of the engine) is my oil pan.

Most oil pans have the horizontal drain plug... a rock decided to customize mine and make it vertical.

My oil pan was mashed up evenly so that the drain hole rotated down 90 degrees. It looks like a fist hit it right at the X.

Amazingly... NO LEAKS scratch cheers .

Now obviously as cool as this looks... I have to replace the pan soon because I am due for an oil change, and don't want to even breath on the plug in fear of making it leak.

It looks like the exhaust raps around it a bit... my question is was it designed with enough clearance to drop the pan out without removing the pipes, or can I use this as an excuse to Laurie to replace the headers with Banks stuff "since it was coming off anyway" 9

I will do a side by side shot on install so you all can see the carnage like voltures Idea cheers .
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan   Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 11:48 pm

I couldnt imagine they would make the tolerance so tight they would have to remove the exhaust to drop the oil pan I would think all you need is half inch to drop it. Just a guess though. By the way you do have oil pressure dont you?
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan   Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 12:12 am

Dont hate me for saying this (I could be wrong ) but I think you have to drop the header. I believe something (pickup?) hangs to low to get it out without dropping it.
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan   Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 6:35 pm

I got this from another site http://www.ski-blog.com/jeeping/

Not the worst way to spend a Saturday, but we had some major problems. First, the exhaust flange bolts where the exhaust manifold connects would not come off. Not only that, but they are in a disasterous location. Second, we had to loosen the exhaust at the cat to get enough clearance to remove the pan. Third, we had to remove the starter. No big deal on that. But here is the kicker--Quadratec sent me a bad oil pan with a huge hole in it. And I ain't talking about the drain plug.

I dunno about looking in the haynes manual though, cause for a 94 to remove the pan, it wants you to remove the front axle but you dont need to. Also, i dented my oil pan a while back, not as bad as yours, but i was able to hammer it back pretty straight
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan   Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 6:46 pm

If my memory serves me right I remember Tico's oil pan(TJ) and Rich's oil pan (YJ) coming out without any problems. Some manuals tell you to remove the front axle and the starter only cause they are easy to remove and make space to clear and clean the area for a clean seal on the oil pan.

Tony I would wait on the Banks header. The stock one will rust and crack in time (trust me they all do) and plus for the investment you better off putting that money in to gears for when you lift it and go up to 35s or 36s. just my .02 cents
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297

PostSubject: Re: Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan   Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 12:57 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
By the way you do have oil pressure dont you?

Still no drips or leaks, and oil pressure is at the same level (if not slightly higher but not much) than what it normally is.
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan   Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 1:52 pm

I had to take off my down pipe to change mine. You don't have to remove the header. Yours should be the same as mine they change them in 2000.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan   Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Converted Oil Pan Skid Fan
Page 1 of 1