Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Homemade TC skid?

Go down 
+2
onemoretime
06rubicon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Has anyone tried or seen a homemade TC skid for a TJ? I've got a friend that works at a scrap yard and saved me a piece of 3/8"s AR steel like they use on the body of tanks. He has all the tools to make it at work and the yard fabricator has offered to help too. The stock shovel has got to go and I'd like to tuck the TC up a little. I'm sure I'l need a BL, MML or both if I want to raise the TC. I'd be real happy if I could get it flush with the frame rails but I don't think there is enough clearance in the tub. Anyone got any ideas or seen a template? scratch

Ryan
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 7:09 pm

Ryan,
How flush to the frame you can make it will depend on how much BL you use and or how much sheet metal fab to the tub you want to do. If say you used a 3" BL and 1" MML. You then should have enough clearence to make it flush. Remember though that you will need a CV driveshaft if you go this high. If you want tuck it up a lttle higher like 1-1.5"'s then you will not need the MML. Template wise this will be custom fab unless you go with something from Teraflex or Medic doctor as they have bolt in hi mount TC skids. I beleive Tera sales theres with a 1" BL for the TJ. For a template you would need you measurements from hole to hole and then the amount of the tranny mount and a few other things. If you go flush that would be your easiest as no bulge would need to be there. I know this turned into a long reply. Sorry. Another thing to keep in mind if going flush would be do you really want to mount the TC to the bottom of the Jeep? Where the bolt will now get ground down as you climb over things. Or do want to make new mounts that go through the side of the frame where they cant snag on things. One last thing do you really want to use something that is that heavy. I know it wont bend but that seems really heavy. And that is my .02 Wink
Back to top Go down
https://mrr4x4cforum.editboard.com
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 7:32 pm

Well i don't want to do a 3" BL I can tell you that much. I've seen alot of lo-pro TC skids on the market but I like Jeep Medics alot. I think I might try to use a design simular to theirs. I think theirs raises it about 2" and they recommend a 1" BL. I've got a CV shaft & adj. rr upper CA's so I think I'm good there. I guess that leaves a BL & MML. I think I'll just drop the factory skid and use it as a template.

Do you really think 3/8" will be to heavy? He told me its the same weight as steel it just has carbide(?) in it.

I think it would be interesting project plus I would get to use all the fun tools at his shop like the die press, plasma cutter and the biggest press I've ever seen in my life!

Ryan
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 8:05 pm

Ryan,
I say go for it. I am all in for fab work. Do i think it will be to heavy? To me yes, but it will be indestructible. For someone who wheels their rig and uses it has a DD. Weight really isnt an issue. Im trying to lighten mine up as much as possible. But that is because of competion. Also since i will be making my own hi TC. Much like what you doing. I would look into riasing the mounting points toi the side of the frame. Im going to cut 11/8" through the frame and weld in tube so i can use shackle bushings and greasable bolts to keep things from freezing up. This way the TC skid bolts through the frame and the bolts are out of the way. Just my thoughts tho. Other then that go for it. Cant wait to see it.
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2007 9:15 pm

I think your might be right about the 3/8", he's going to look for some 1/4" or 5/16" for me. I'll keep in mind about the mounting points but I really don't won't to start cutting/boxing the frame, maybe once it's paid for Very Happy.

I think I'm going to pull the stock skid next weekend and get started.

Any other suggestions out there?
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 7:09 pm

06rubicon wrote:
I think your might be right about the 3/8", he's going to look for some 1/4" or 5/16" for me. I'll keep in mind about the mounting points but I really don't won't to start cutting/boxing the frame, maybe once it's paid for Very Happy.

Contact Mike (treefrog)...Mike has an 04 Rubi... he is running the Jeep Medic skids... swears by them. This is probably the skids I will get shortly myself...

Needs the 1" motor lift... he used a MORE lift, but said the right mount was tough...

We talked at great length about it over the CHristmas weekend while we took off my hardtop and put on his rig.
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2007 8:11 pm

Tony Performance Offroad has the motor mount kit with the built in motor mounts. that way you get stronger motor mounts. The kit they have cost a little more but its a nice up grade when I have seen stock motor mounts break twice. once was in a TJ that I still dont understand why. Second was in eric millers rubicon that snaped after we rolled it back over.

I myself and talked about doing the same thing with Rich and Randy Wood. We figure on a YJ the 2 in. BL and the 1 motor mount lift will allow me to run a Flush with the frame rails skid.
Back to top Go down
06rubicon
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
06rubicon

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2007 5:03 pm

Sorry I haven't replied lately...I've been in lovely Des Moines, Iowa with 10 degree weather for the past week :bonk:

Thanks for the input Nester, I'll keep it in mind. I think I might give the homebrew skid a try if it doesn't work out like I hope I'm going with the Medic.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2007 12:58 pm

Nester let me know what you end up doing. I am also looking at dropping the jeep 2 inches and going flush with the frame with the skid. I clocked the Atlas up and "clearanced" the body a little to make it tuck up really tight. I will be doing this project and will likely need the engine lift and a 1 1/4 BL. I will measure first since I may not need to go with the body lift if the transfer case was clocked up enough. As for a TJ I'm not sure. Randy suggested to me attaching 1" or so square stock under the frame rails and going with a flat steel under that to make the underbelly flat. It would rid you of the scoop anyway.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2007 12:59 pm

Another thought. Why not modify the stock skid. Cut off the scoop and if needed weld some metal on to strengthen it up again.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2007 12:39 am

Well the stock skid sucks to start with its weak and once you start running on it really hard it starts to bow up ward. Mine is in bad shape as is. Everything that I have read and seen says that you need a 1 1/4 BL and 1 inch motor lift. I'm still working on the details. I might need a CV front drive shaft but. The project is not that high on the list. I need to build up the axles first. That and I'm working on getting a 4:1 transfer case Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
treefrog
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
treefrog

Male
Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2007-01-21

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 30, 2007 9:24 pm

mrjeepy wrote:
06rubicon wrote:

Contact Mike (treefrog)...Mike has an 04 Rubi... he is running the Jeep Medic skids... swears by them. This is probably the skids I will get shortly myself...

Needs the 1" motor lift... he used a MORE lift, but said the right mount was tough...

We talked at great length about it over the CHristmas weekend while we took off my hardtop and put on his rig.

I gained about 2.5 inches of clearance with the Medic skid. You will need a 1" motor mount lift and at least a 1" body lift. The right motor mount was easy, it's the left that's a pain in the butt. The Medic skid is 1/4" and it is stout. The Medic engine skid is great too. It connects to the front of the transfer skid. Makes me feel a little better in the rocks knowing that I have 1/4" of steel from the harmonic balancer all the way to the back of the transfer. My oil pan got beat up pretty good before I put it on. Rich can tell you about rocks and oil pans. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 01, 2007 2:15 am

sure can. But if you have wheel weights and a acetolyne torch and some goop. And you are not affriad of starting a fire it can be fixed Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Homemade TC skid? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Homemade TC skid?   Homemade TC skid? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade TC skid?
Page 1 of 1