Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

2 quick questions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 6:49 pm

04 wrangler se - no lifts, all stock. what size tires can I go up to that wouldnt impede usage as a daily driver? 31? can I go 32 without worrying about rubs or modifying anything?

Number 2 - It was recommended I go with a "budget" lift. What exaclty is Budget? I see suspension or body lift kits. It looks like I should go suspension over body. I see kits that run 600 and up for a 2.5" and that doesnt include labor. I'm definately looking at the word Budget so that I can plan for it.

Thanks - sorry Dad drove company cars so he didnt teach me squat. I just learned how to drive them into the ground.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Budget Boost or more commonly called BB. They run from about 200-350 depending on which kit you get and what it comes with. I Got my BDS 2inch lift for 300. It can with shocks and springs. Danny got a Rubicon Express I believe before he got his RE superflex lift. I think Its on Tony's TJ now scratch But back on track The RE kit comes with the 2 inch pucks that sit on top of the springs. Most Budget Boost lifts take a half a day at the most and those give you 2 inches for 31's. Stock Tj's and 31's drive just like stock for the most part. Danny or Tony are better to answer that question. If you want to step up one from that to 32's or 33's all you need is a 1 inch body lift. The body lift pays off for those that do High clearance skids. If you need a hand with the install DONT PAY A SHOP TO DO IT. Have a party and before everyone starts drinking we can install it cause its super easy. 9
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 9:00 pm

Nester is on right on the money. He is the one who suggested the set up I have, and introduce me to Danny who was getting rid of the RE BB.

The simple answer is this...

You have 30s... you can go 31, but it wil be a tight fit and may rub on big bumps.

If you want to go up in size you basically need to figure out where you want to go... 30 to 33 is 3 inches, so you need a 3 inch lift at least.

I loooooooove my set up. I get a lot of flex on trails, it looks like a real jeep should, and it gets me where I want to go on and off the trail.

I am running an 04 Rocky Mountain Edition (X with a 44 rear and pretty colors inside... I got it because I could not aford the Rubi, but wanted the 44 w/ 3.73 gearing).

For lift I went with the Rubicon Express Budget Boost (BB) which is a 2" suspension lift. Super simple install... if you can stack Legos, you can put this together.

I tacked on another 1.25" JKS body lift. This is also a good investement for future upgrade because most skids suggest a body lift (Kilby Gas Tank Skid and Terraflex Belly Up to name a couple).

In hindsight I should have gone with the 1" motor lift at the same time... I will be doing that in the near future... (It also helps with future projects, and means less modifications to fan shroud, t-case lever, etc. when you lift the body).

Anyway... back on track...

That set up lets me clear 33" BF Goodrich All Terrain TA tires... 33x10.5x15... excellent on the street, and better than stock on the trails (Super in the ice/snow runs)

With the 10.5 I get a bit wider stance than stock, but didn't have to buy new flares to cover the meat.

I think another benefit some never take into consideration when off roading is I put more pounds per square inch to my obsticles than 12.5 because it is a narrower tire... which can have its plusses and minuses (less side wall support for 1 so the tire flexes a lot more than a 12).

You will also want a sway bar disconnect system to unleash the beast if you plan on trail running.

One last thing to consider on lifts... suspension lifts change the steering geometry... even a 2" has effects... make sure the FIRST thing you do is get an alignment!!! Body lifts raise the center of gravity more...

Being all honest your best bet is a combination of the 2.

With my set up I never had a tire rub issue (until I shifted my axle 2 inches... oops)... stuff the tires quite nice when I want to... and it looks sweet next to the stockers at work.

If you want a hand installing the kits I am very willing and able... it only takes a few hours, with basic tools (wrenches, jacks... if doing Body Lift you WILL need a Hi Lift Jack)

if you want to look at mine up close sometime I will meet you someplace and you can see if you like the setup...

As for pricing... give Randy Wood a call... I got the JKS body lift through him at a great deal, and he also had the parts I needed for the BB.

Hope this helps. If you need more info feel free to ask me.

By the way... Black and Blue is my Daily Driver too... in answer to question 1 of yours... It gets a lot of attention at work and in the yard, but that is good because everyone knows its mine and they keep an eye on it for me, along with look to see "Nooooow what did you do to it" 9

Tony
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2007 9:21 pm

Budget Boost

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16300_400.htm

Body Lift

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16067_00.htm

Motor Lift - (you'll want the TJ Bombproof... 1"... hmmm... but SE is 4 cyl... says noticible vibration... not sure how that is... I have the 4.0 L 6 cyl.) I do not have the motor lift as I said before... I just had to put in an adapter plate (came with the kit) for the t-case lever, and modify the fan shroud (drill holes and cut out for the hose)... it sounds harder than it is... trust me.)

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/BombProof%20MM/bombproof.htm

Just to give you some ideas... call Randy Wood though... tell him you are a Raider... he will ship it right to your doorstep at less than this...

http://adventurous4x4.com/ For his contact info.

He will treat you right cheers

By the way... I have a tendency to ramble on a lot... so if you ask me something, grap a cup of coffee because it is gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong answer... hehehehe. jkfg
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2007 12:27 am

The best thing about the bb is that it will fit on any spring lift you get. I put a bb on Re's 4.5" coils to give me 6.5" of lift.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Ok next quick question

Based on the above I can put the 2" budget boost and a 1" frame boost and maybe even a 1" engine boost on and I shouldnt need to worry about having to deal with replacing/shimming/messing with any other part like steering box, rods etc.

Now where is the breaking point. At what point would I need to extend/replace parts? for example is it like once you hit 4" suspension you need to shim the steering, replace rods?

Not too familiar and Im trying to plan a bit.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 4:57 pm

Nope thats all you need to get started. The 2 inch srings (budget boost). 1 1/4" body lift and then you roll some 33's under it. If you don't have 3:07's vs. the 3:73's you will loose the use of 5th gear when going up hill or anything other than flat or down hill. Even then I ran 35's with 3:07s and it did okay. Maybe later after you lift the jeep you will want to get some of the other parts like track bars and steering parts. Ask any of the gears that have used a BB on there rig, I have never heard any of them complain about it.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 8:26 pm

The Budget Boost with new shocks should be about $200 and the 1" Body Lift should be about $100.
I ran 31" tires with just the Budget Boost, then 33" tires with the BB and 1" Body Lift.
Here are a couple of pics from the BB install:
2 quick questions LicensePlate027

A 2" block goes inbetween the spring and the cup that holds the bump-stop.
2 quick questions LicensePlate026

Budget Boost on 31"

2 quick questions LicensePlate031

Budget Boost, 1" Body Lift and 33" tires:

2 quick questions Decent
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 8:28 pm

Hehehe... Nester skipped over answering your question...

3"+ on suspension starts getting iffy with extensions/SYE/driveshafts/axle angles, etc....

Most of the 3"+ lift kits come with extensions to accomidate at that point.

I did not originally have a shimmy problem or anything else until recently... but most of that is due to the damage I did to the frame/mounts on the Big Dogs run.

However... at some point you may want to upgrade you steering stabilizer to accomidate the heavier tires (saves on the wrists with pot holes and larger tires make the stock go bad quicker due to the weight differance), and an adjustable front track bar...

I went with the Currie trac bar... it is massive, and good for 0-6" of lift... VERY easy to put on too... the hardest part was drilling the 9/16th hole (original is a tapered 9/16 for the tie rod end... the last 1/3 of the hole tapers to about 1/2 so you need to drill it through for the new 9/16 bolt).

Total time on the suspension lift... about 2 hours if it all breaks loose.

Total time on body (frame) lift... about 1 hour (again... if it breaks loose)

Total time on track bar... about 20 minutes tops... drilling took the longest part (depending on the size of the sledge hammer to get the old one out... 5 cheers
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2007 10:44 pm

Ok that that answers the question - I know once the money tree reblooms I'm going with 2" BB and a 1" body and replacing the shovel underneath with something tighter. My thinking was if I can do that without too much mod how far could I push it - a 2" BB lists for 234 at quad and a 3" full traction at 450 and a 3 1/2 at 573. BUt if theres periferals that would need to be done then that blasts the plan.

That being said the 2" BB with 1" body and 33's look sweet, especially for a daily driver. So its Uncle sam, hardwood floors, couch then lift - think the wife will go for a refi on the house?
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 3:02 pm

You mentioned tummy tuck too I think... (belly pan aka shovel)

I just got the Teraflex pan in myself... however I can't put it on yet, so FYI... even with just a budget lift the new pan will probably need an SYE kit and new rear drive shaft because it raises up the t-case... unless you do a t-case drop, which in my eyes is just pointless because you are lowering back down to where you just pushed it up from...

Just my .02.

On a side note... before commiting to buying a 2" BB lift check with me first...

I am about 1/2 way there parts wise to get a 4" lift, so in the next month or two (depending on how long it takes for my bonus check) I might be parting with the BB... it was given to me, and I will continue the tradition by passing it on too... cheers that will save you a couple hundred... I STRONGLY!!! recommend using it toward a skid row (or similiar) engine skid... Danny will attest how close I just came to losing my oil pan on a rock...

Give me a shout before you drop any cash... I could probably even give you a hand throwing it in mbn
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Cool Im looking about that time frame as it stands so I will definately give you a shout first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

2 quick questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2 quick questions   2 quick questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 quick questions
Page 1 of 1