Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

lift kit on my yj

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male
Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-04-30

lift kit on my yj Empty
PostSubject: lift kit on my yj   lift kit on my yj Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2007 10:05 am

alright i started the lift project last night .all was going well untill it came to getting the bolt out of the leaf spring at the frame side it seem to be rusted in the sleave that in the middle of that bushing and i cant get it out ive tried every thing i can think of short of cuting it out .any suggestion would be nice and does any one know what size that bolt is and were i might be able to find anuther ive looked in all my catalogs and online and all i can find is the hanger but no bolt .thanks...........cameron chainsaw saw2
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

lift kit on my yj Empty
PostSubject: Re: lift kit on my yj   lift kit on my yj Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2007 12:45 pm

I had the same problem with my YJ when it had leaf springs. the bolt is most likely rusted into the sleeve and no there is no real way of getting it out with conservative means. In other words you will be trashing the bolt to remove it. I first cut off the head of the bolt with a sanding disk and then tried to pound it through towards the nut side using a very large hammer and punch without success and ended up cutting the bolt again inside the bracket on both sides to get it removed. I may have even cut the leaf spring itself to remove the bolt since I wasn't going to use the spring again. good luck. by the way if you don't have a grinder with cutting discs this would be a good time to invest in one...and a face shield.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

lift kit on my yj Empty
PostSubject: Re: lift kit on my yj   lift kit on my yj Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Hey Camron

Here is how I do it. There are a couple things you can try as far as getting it out. I have used a torch a couple of times and that did the trick quick and easy. Other times I have gone to the store and pick up a can of sea foam bolt remover or PB blaster. If all that doesn't work thats when I pull out the sawzall chainsaw A good metal blade and some wd-40. Normally just cut right between the spring and the mount. If your clean and good with the saw you won't mess up the bushing. If you lift kit came with new bushings then dont worry about it and go to town on it Twisted Evil As far as where you get the bolts to replace them with I use grade 8 bolts you get at Lowes or Home Depot. There nice cause there zinc plated and dont rust. Go Idea to just change all the stock bolts while your at it. Its so nice to have leaf sprung rigs in this club.
Back to top Go down
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male

lift kit on my yj Empty
PostSubject: yj lift   lift kit on my yj Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2007 1:33 pm

yeah rock on cut that bolt out last night and order some new ones from the dealer so now its onward and upwards thanks.............cameron lk
Back to top Go down
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male

lift kit on my yj Empty
PostSubject: its done   lift kit on my yj Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2007 7:06 pm

this thing is awsome its like driving a little monster truck. hahahahahha now im going to drive over cars in traffic. hey if they didnt want my tire on them they would have bought a bigger car........cameron
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

lift kit on my yj Empty
PostSubject: Re: lift kit on my yj   lift kit on my yj Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 12:11 am

how much lift and what size tires did you get?
Back to top Go down
killerisdead
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
killerisdead

Male

lift kit on my yj Empty
PostSubject: lift   lift kit on my yj Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2007 12:41 am

4 in rubicon express and 33s in reality i think i would need 35s at least to drive over a car in traffic . they sure made my ride today more fun so it was all worth it............cameron
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

lift kit on my yj Empty
PostSubject: Re: lift kit on my yj   lift kit on my yj Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lift kit on my yj
Page 1 of 1