Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Death Wobble

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Death Wobble Empty
PostSubject: Death Wobble   Death Wobble Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 8:35 pm

Here is the problem, at speeds over 35 mph the front end will wobble and shake till you slow to less that 30 mph. Every once in a while it will not be so bad and let you get to 50 and smooth out.

This started about 2 months ago and a very mild shake between 35 and 40. After the last run at Rausch it was fine until about 15 miles from home and then started with its current state.

What I have done.
1. Rotated front tires to rear to eliminate the possibility of a broken belt
2. thought it was the ball joints so I took it to Matt and had him give it the once over. Said ball joints were tight and the outer tie rod and passenger hub and bearing Assembly was bad
3. Replaced Hub / bearing assembly and outer tie rod, while I had it off I replaced the steering stabilizer also.
4. Replaced broken pinion yoke and reinstalled the front drive shaft.

The shake was going on with the drive shaft off so I don't think I bent it when I broke the yoke. I guess it is possible that the belts in all 4 tires are bad or that it was one in the back and one in the front but I find that hard to believe. It definitely needs new tires but..... $$$ is not there for that yet unless I can find a good used set or something along those lines.

I have to be missing something, throw out the suggestions, I am willing to try just about anything at this point.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Death Wobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 9:08 pm

1. Front end alignment/bent tie rod?
2. Tie rod ends not torqued to specification? Sit in front of the jeep and have someone else slowly turn the wheel back and forth while checking each rod end for free play. I torqued mine down and then still had a problem, checked as described above and found 2 still loose. Then I tightened the ones while I had someome shake the wheel back and forth a little to work the tie rod in a little tighter. no moredeath wobble after alignment and tie rod ends tightened.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Death Wobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 9:32 pm

Thats entirely possible that the outer tie rod end is not tight enough. I was leery of getting the alignment if I still needed to replace parts and would just mess it up again.... I will tighten it again after work on Monday.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Death Wobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2007 11:30 pm

http://tjhardcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Sponsored content

Death Wobble Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Wobble   Death Wobble Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Death Wobble
Page 1 of 1