Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-01-20

92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Empty
PostSubject: 92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??   92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 12:30 pm

My son just called and is having trouble with his YJ stalling everytime he starts to let the clutch out. Other than the tranny being an issue, what else could it be, also besides him. It is a 92 YJ w / 4.0 & 5-speed.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: 92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??   92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 4:19 pm

Need more info. did it start for no reason? start after wheeing it and driving it home? rear end seized? never heard of this happening. stock drivedrain? Could even be a motor issue. Idle and rev fine?
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: 92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??   92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 6:52 pm

is it all stock? there could be a number for things wrong. does it do it in reverse?
Back to top Go down
SLeach
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
SLeach

Male
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: 92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??   92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2008 11:17 pm

couple of things
probably the slave/master cylinder
Does it go into gear if he has the clutch in?
Does it grind into reverse if he holds the clutch in for a bout 10 seconds and then tries to put it into reverse?
Did it just start or has it been harder and harder to get into gear?
If he stops and takes his foot off the break, does it want to move forward?

The cltuch systems on the yj's are very basic. Not too much to go wrong
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153

PostSubject: Re: 92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??   92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 8:03 am

My son just cross posted, JD92YJ. IT is totally stock and was not being wheeled. Once I brought it home on the trailer, the starter makes a grinding noise as if it is no fully engaging the flywheel. As my son stated we bench tested and the drive gear comes all the way out. We can turn the motor over freely by hand. It appears there is a misalingment but seeing it does not use shims I'm not sure what the issue is. He states the stalling happens when the clutch is pushed in, he goes to put the tranny in any gear and never letting the clutch out, it stalls. He just bought it and has driven for a few day and has had no problems.

Thanks
Mark
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: 92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??   92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 2:36 pm

Didn't the YJ's 93 and earlier have a crank position sensor that helps the starter line or with the fly wheel. I could be way off but its something to think about.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: 92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??   92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 03, 2008 3:26 pm

On the 93 the crank position sensor is on top of the bell housing and has nothing to do with alignment of the starter. I'm still curious why he replaced the starter in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??   92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

92 YJ stalls when clutch is released ??
Page 1 of 1