Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Wheel Stud Replacement

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Wheel Stud Replacement Empty
PostSubject: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 11:22 pm

My dad's YJ has a stripped Wheel Stud on the D35 on the driver's side. Can the bad stud be pounded out and a new one installed without removing the axle shaft?

I tried to search online for info on the 35, but couldn't find what I wanted. Here is a pic of a 44 that I found that makes it look like it can be done:

Wheel Stud Replacement D44

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 11:27 pm

smack it and find out, if it doesnt clear pull the axel. Or tell him this would be a good time to swap in a 8.8 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 11:50 pm

Danny,

First that picture looks like a Dana 35 non Clip personally. Second its not that hard to pull the axles on a D35C.

-Pull the cover off and drain gear oil.
-Remove pin bolt (its a 8 or 10 mm) small bolt on the outside of the carrier.
-slide pin out (you might have to tap it in then rotate the carrier then pull it out)
-Rotate axle while holding the carrier.
-make sure you keep track of the shims and caps that work with the spider gears there is a cap that goes on each small gear and a shim that goes with each big gear.
-Once the small gears fall out you will see the C-clips.
-Push the axle in and remove the C-clip
-Then you will be able to remove the shaft.
-Beat the old stud out
-Take the new stud tap it in with a hammer.
-Now some people beat the stud in but I take a couple of washers then I take a lug nut and use a impact to set the stud.
-Then put it all back together

Its easy and could be done in a couple of hours. You might be able to do it without pulling the axle out but beating on the stud might break or wear out the axle seal. I just had the same thing happen with the 8.8. I'm sure someone has a simple way to explain the same.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 am

I think you should be able to do this without pulling out the axleshaft. Bang it out and it should clear. the treick is getting the new stud in. I've been very successful doing this using a lug nut. stick the new stud in from behind and tighten the lug nut to draw it in. You will have to first tighten it up snug and then back it off half a turn and tighten a little again and loosen half a turn again and repeat until the stud is completely in.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 8:44 pm

connordanny wrote:
My dad's YJ has a stripped Wheel Stud on the D35 on the driver's side. Can the bad stud be pounded out and a new one installed without removing the axle shaft?

Thanks!

Danny tell your father this is to big of a job and he needs to get a new jeep lol!

You know he wants a new one lk
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 9:37 pm

Ha! He was out looking at an '04 Rubicon last week but that didn't sit very well w/ my mom 4 lol!

I picked up a few studs at Napa today. I won't be able to look at it until the weekend - can anyone tell me how to remove the cover on the brake drum to get to the axle shaft. I'm sure its pretty easy - just never done it before.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 pm

danny if you need help let me know I could probly do the repair in about 30 min or so in the driveway.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:48 am

connordanny wrote:
Ha! He was out looking at an '04 Rubicon last week but that didn't sit very well w/ my mom 4 lol!

I picked up a few studs at Napa today. I won't be able to look at it until the weekend - can anyone tell me how to remove the cover on the brake drum to get to the axle shaft. I'm sure its pretty easy - just never done it before.

First release the parking brake. Then on the back side of the drum is a little access plug(may be a piece of rubber in the hole near the bottom) If you pull the plug and look in the little hole you will see a small gear and a little spring going from side to side against the gear to keep it from spinning. You take a small screwdriver and push the spring down off the little gear and with another screwdriver spin the little gear to back the parking brake pads off the drum. then the drum should come right off with a little effort. If you spin the gear the wrong way the drum will get tighter.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:56 am

this is the rubber plug
Wheel Stud Replacement DSC01709

And this is an illustration of the star wheel and spring.
Wheel Stud Replacement Brake-adjust
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:03 am

Cool - Thanks Bill!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wheel Stud Replacement   Wheel Stud Replacement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wheel Stud Replacement
Page 1 of 1