Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
FallstonYJ
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
FallstonYJ

Male
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Empty
PostSubject: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 11:55 am

Need some quick advice; I am trying to get my HEI conversion installed today but I can't seem to get any straight advice as to what kind of plugs to install with it. It is an 88 YJ with the 4.2. I bought the HEI distributor from 4WD Hardware and a set of Livewires. Figured I might as well replace the plugs at the same time. I have read a couple of posts that say Platinum plugs burn too hot; one conversion write-up went with Bosch Super plugs; had 2 people tell me not to use anything but plain old Champions. Anybody have experience with some solid advice? I would really like to get this thing installed today. Thanks for your time, Tom
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 12:32 pm

I would think champions My brother had champion on his, but i came with it on there so that is what we reused. But that's not really solid advice
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 9:03 pm

just use the same champion plug you use on the stock set up and gap it to .045 that is what I did on mine. This set up get you to use a wider gap on the plug.
Back to top Go down
CamoK5
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
CamoK5

Male
Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 10:42 pm

I second what Paul said, stay with what ever type of plugs you like just increase the gap to .045 .
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
FallstonYJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks for the replies; I didn't get around to installing it over the weekend so hopefully I can get to it today/tomorrow. The intructions that came with the distributor said to use a gap of .050 to .055. You recommend .045?
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 12:59 pm

I feel that is what I set mine to, Also you will need bigger wires the stock 258 wires are to thin I think it's a 8MM wire you need. I got a set for a chevy straight 6 the came with the HEI stock.
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
FallstonYJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks, Paul. I bought a set of Livewires to go with the HEI; they were expensive but they are pretty substantial!
Back to top Go down
FallstonYJ
Open/Locker
Open/Locker
FallstonYJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 10:44 am

Well I got the HEI conversion done last night; I went with the standard Champion plugs. So far I am not real pleased. The Liverwires were not a good fit at all; at $90 I expected much better. I haven't taken the Jeep out on the road yet but I really don't notice any difference in how it runs so far in the garage. Oh well, I guess time will tell!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?   Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need quick advice; what plugs w/HEI conversion?
Page 1 of 1