Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

next advice question

Go down 
+2
connordanny
Allium
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

next advice question Empty
PostSubject: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2007 10:21 am

I saw the big post onthe rod protection and was looking at other options - such as oil pan but I see a variety of options and prices going from 57-245. Whats the difference?
Warn oil pan skid – 152.99 http://www.quadratec.com/products/12022_701_07.htm
Rock it pan 56.99 http://www.quadratec.com/products/12523_101.htm
Skid row skid plate 244.99 http://www.quadratec.com/products/12529_101.htm
Looks to me that there isnt much difference.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeSat May 26, 2007 7:41 pm

Well I would start by saying stay away from the glue on one. This skid was my very first mod..... And its pretty important.
I have the skid row version. It bolts to the control arm mount on the pass side, the engine mount on the driver's side and clamps to the stock transfer case skid. I've bashed it several times over the last 2 yrs.

I would say go cheap on the steering box skid, diff skids, even gas tank skid,
but I wouldn't skimp here. If you hate it you could always sell it for about as much as you bought it for. Here is a pic after its 1st run:

next advice question Paragon2-18-06043
next advice question Paragon2-18-06044
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2007 11:50 pm

yeah at least go with one that bolts to the bell housing and to the block. I think its teraflex that makes that one.

Oh yeah dude Quadratec isn't the only place to get jeep stuff.

www.4wd.com

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

Or you can call Randy Wood at Adventrous 4x4.

ebay also has good deals on stuff from time to time.

But I'm with danny don't short cut on the oil pan skid. I have seen a couple of busted oil pans on the trails and its not fun.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 9:27 am

Ya i know - Ive just got Quad bookmarked from past purchases (they are close and shipping has been fast) and they are easy to navigate. So if im looking for en example I can find it there better than other sites!

I already got my the Oil pan skid plate on my list as a first buy, was thinking differential since I remember that hitting last outing but not sure which one. But did close on the refi so wife gets the new floor and I get a lift - comeon check! (Amazing the priorities people have.)
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 5:24 pm

What kinda lift are you going for?
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Tico linked me a 4" suspension lift that I liked (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-Suspension-Lift-Kit-for-TJ-Jeep-Wrangler-1997-2006_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQihZ003QQitemZ130116652100QQrdZ1) and I was shooting for the 1" lift on top of that (http://www.quadratec.com/products/16067_00.htm)
then if the budget allows the warn oil pan skid plate and a steering box cover. Not sure what size tires Ill be able to fit - hoping 33s Not sure yet not sure if ill need to get new bake lines - was going to ask that when i get ready to order the parts - hopefully next week.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 9:27 am

You will easily clear 33" with that set up. I have a 4.5 suspension and a 1" body and have 35's
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 10:59 am

Most of those kits on ebay and bare bones kits. Great for starters, I had a rough country lift on my YJ that I got of ebay for 350 bucks. It was a 4inch kit and it did great for 3 to 4 years then I upgraded to my BDS kit (which I love) Gill if your looking for a simple kit thats a little more than a budget boost then thats not a bad way to go. If you want brake lines you can get those later. 3-4 inch lift kits normally don't need them unless your running really hard trails and 35's with the 1 inch body lift which you dont need for 33's on a TJ with a 4 inch lift. Put the body lift money in to skids or recovery gear.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2007 11:36 pm

So what your saying is just a 4" can clear 33's. I already see the need for steering box and oil pan. You also say recovery gear - What do you suggest?
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 9:22 am

Straps WITH OUT metal hooks to start. A come along if you cannot get a winch, make sure you have solid tow points front and rear. Of course a winch if you can swing the cash is always a good addition.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 3:10 pm

Chris is right. For 33's all you need is the 4 inch lift. the Body lift will come in handy later down the road if you want to put on a tummy tucker skid or if you need the room for 35's. Recovery gear, You need all the basics.

-Two 20 foot straps with hoops (metal hooks and not permited to be used in almost all organized parks or club functions)

-Tow hooks front and rear. I makes pulling you out simple. If not your crawing under the rig to tie up to the axle.

-High-lift they sell them at TSC (tractor supply company) I would say buy the nice one the farm jacks work but they tend to not work as well as the name brand "Highlift" jack.

There are a list of other thinkings you need if you do get a winch. If you do want to spring for the winch buy a WARN winch. They are the best on the market in my opinion. Replacement parts are easy to get and they take a beating the best. just my 2 cents. 9
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2007 5:36 pm

cool Got 1 20' strap already, 2 hooks front and d rings rear thanks to Jim and Tim, Got the farm jack bolted to back bumper not sure what brand. Now just gotta wait for the check to clear and Ill be calling all hands.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2007 12:23 am

If you have a tractor supply nearby which i am finally fortunate to have, you can find much cheaper straps and d-rings etc. I actually prefer the tractor supply style d-ring shackles with the cotter pin instead of the screw style like the warn and most others you'll find. I'm not sure if the screw style are stronger or what but i know they are a pain in the ass compared to pulling a cotter pin. Duct tape and zip ties are must haves too!! Other excellent recovery items are a cooler filled with ice, case of beer, a tent, zip ties, and duct tape. That way if all else fails you get get the cooler with ice out of the jeep, find level land, pitch the tent, get drunk, and use your zip ties and duct tape plus straps etc and worry about your rig tomorrow. Just my .02 cents which are worth .000002 on ebay. jkfg
Back to top Go down
MaxRox
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
MaxRox

Female
Number of posts : 137

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2007 8:03 am

Don't forget to throw a couple MREs in there!
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2007 12:49 pm

"Don't forget to throw a couple MREs in there!"

Sorry my time in service predates MREs - Now a c-rat can of scrambled eggs and bacon with a small tin of hickory smoked cheese (and a bottle of Texas Pet) will do just fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: next advice question   next advice question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

next advice question
Page 1 of 1